Work outs before bed?

Options
Hi all!

I usually do an hour on the exersice bike every night, at 7:30pm till 8:30pm whilst watching The Biggest Loser.
I haven't been getting tired till around 10:30-11pm each night... Which isn't wonderful, as i have a 2 year old daughter to get up to in the morning (thank god she is a morning person, coz he mummy isnt lol)

So my question is (and sorry if it is a silly question, im new to healthy living) Is it because i am working out that i am not getting tired till late?
What time do you work out?
Does it affect your sleep?

Replies

• munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different.

Did the lack of sleep thing start when you started exercising nights? Some people can exercise at night and zonk out as soon as their body hits the sack. Others say that they just feel too revved up to fall asleep for an hour or two following le exercise sess.

Have you tried working out mornings/daytime?
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    When the walking buddy and I were walking at night, 8:30-9pm start, we'd walk for about an hour and a half. When I got home, I'd be too keyed up to sleep properly. I'd be mentally awake, even if my body wasn't (make sense?) until after 1am.

Now I walk about 6pm, after tea and have no trouble getting to sleep.

You could exercise of a morning before the 2yo got up, meaning you'd presumably try to get to bed earlier in the evening. Or just leave it as it is and accept that you wont get to sleep straight away. I found that acceptance of a rough night greatly relieved my OMG!! I CAN'T SLEEP. I HAVE TO GET UP AT 5am! (include in this that 2yo might wake up in 10 mins, and at 3am, etc) angst. YMMV. (I had 6 kids, so I know how important sleep is and what a bad night does)
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    If i go down to the 2hr gym at say 9-10 pm I'm buzzing till all hours!
  • Nuggy13
    Options
    Sometimes exercising late at night can make it hard to get to sleep with all the good energy vibes still going through your body and mind. But as long as you're having 6.5 - 7.5 (apparently the best amount of time to sleep for) hours sleep then it's not neccessarily a bad thing. It's more the quality of your sleep instead of the quantity. I work backwards from when I know I'll be waking up to figure out what time I should be going to bed so I don't over or under sleep : )
  • reenmelbs
    reenmelbs Posts: 14
    Options
    Have been told morning exercises are better as they get your metabolism going (something you want in the morning, not late at night). Yet I think most people find night work-outs more convenient (I sure do).

But if you could slowly change things around by getting to bed real early and waking up maybe even before your kids do for a 30 min work-out you might find a change?

Thanks to a friend I had a one month membership to a fancy gym where they coached you constantly and they made me come in the mornings rather than afternoons, I slept like a baby during that month :)