Calorie Wise....I'm Screwed for the day!

Options
redtop2187
redtop2187 Posts: 31 Member
I snacked on David's Jumbo Sunflower Seeds during tonight's shift. No big deal except I have already gone over my calorie limit for the day!!! (It's only 6am!!!) I work 7pm-7am and track calories from 12pm-12pm, WEEEELLLLL I got hungry at 2am and I didn't have enough snacks for the shift :( I didn't have any change for vending. A coworker who I used to share sunflower seeds offered to share. I declined, until 2 hours past by and I was still starving then I caved and ate 1.5C = 1,140calories!!!!

So now mid way through a new calorie day I have no calories to work with...I might be able to regain 200-300 from my workout in an hour but there is no way I can get through a half a day (which will include 6hrs of work in an ER) on 200-300 calories...So looks like another day in the RED :( !!! If I could get the eating part of weight loss under control then this would be easy!

AND TO TOP ALL OF THIS OFF...I DON'T FEEL SATISFIED....FULL BUT NOT SATISFIED...Other than seeing Red Numbers for my calorie count this is the most frustrating part!!!

Replies

• Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we go over for the day. It happens. Starving yourself because you went over is setting yourself up for unpleasant hunger or binging. I'd just accept that I went over and go on with my day as I normally would. Perhaps you should set up your diary differently so that something you ate yesterday doesn't make you go over for today. I start my logging day when I wake up and end my day when I go to sleep. Doesn't matter whether it's day or night.
  • mebuthalf
    mebuthalf Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    When I work graveyards I honestly log food where there are calories. Like I worked last night, yesterday ended somewhere around 1800 Cal and today I'm struggling to get over 900 even though I technacilly ate some of yesterdays today. I changed my food diary to reflect my input (ie times instead of breakfast, lunch, ect) and I give myself an hour worth of walking calories when I work (although I'm sure I walk 11 out of the 12 hours) its the only way to stay out of the red and eat when your up for 24 hours at a time :-)

Good luck.
  • redtop2187
    Options
    I've considered setting my journal up to track what I eat for each day instead of 12pm-12pm, I still am thinking about it. Thanks for the encouragement you two.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I've considered setting my journal up to track what I eat for each day instead of 12pm-12pm, I still am thinking about it. Thanks for the encouragement you two.
    That's what I do. I track from when I get up until bed time. (Usually from 3pm-9am)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    on days I work I eat 2x a day. at work and at home. I split up my diary to reflect this.
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My shifts change all the time like today I'm working from 4:30pm till 9 am and then off the next day and starting at 8am till three wendsday. So how should I keep track of my meals they change all the time.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Mine change too since I work full time (12 hour shifts) overnight and then part time during the day.

I have my food diary set up like this:
    8am-12pm
    12pm-4pm
    4pm-8pm
    8pm-12am
    12am-4am
    4am-8am

The hours that I am sleeping are left blank and I add my food into the hours that I ate it.
  • kmill81385
    Options
    I work a 10pm to 6am. So the way I have figured my schedule is like this: When I wake up in the afternoon (usually around 3pm) I eat breakfast. Lunch is whenever dinner happens at my house, and dinner is around midnight. I try to finish my journal by midnight so that it will show up in my feed that I have completed my food journal for the day (things reset for the next day on here at midnight). But I log in what I will have for snack ahead of time, so that it is already taken care of by the time I want my snack (which is usually around 2am).

Also, I give myself one day a week to "unwind" so to speak. One day a week I do not count my calories. I try my best not to go absolutely crazy one those days, but I don't keep a tight watch on my journal.

Hope that helps!
  • redtop2187
    Options
    I have changed my food log to 4hr increments. It is working much better. Also, it is helping me to remember small portions since I can only have 200 calories if I eat at each increment.
  • Honey219
    Options
    I have changed my food log to 4hr increments. It is working much better. Also, it is helping me to remember small portions since I can only have 200 calories if I eat at each increment.

The four hour increment is a good idea. I think I might change line too, I work twelve hour nights three days a week. My food journal always either looks over or way under because I slept all day.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Well, I am on a day shift rotation for now, but the 4hr increment thing is a great idea to keep track. If I go back to an odd schedule, I have GOT to remember this.
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    When I wrk overnight I log for the first day until midnight. Then anything after midnight goes on the next day because it's to long to make my cals stretch for over 24 hours awake. It is working well for me. Then I sleep through lunch the next day so it usually works out well.