Just being whiny

Options
I am 4 months post op roux n y. I've lost 65 pounds (well I'd gained 2 on this morning's weight but I'm ignoring that as it's a fluke) and 10 BMI points.

But I have no motivation. I already cheat awfully with things like subway cookies, low sugar ice cream, low fat cheez its, etc. I rarely get all my water intake and only get all my protein about 3/4 the time.

I despise every protein powder I've tried. I only barely tolerate all pre mixed protein shakes but 1, and that gets old. I like the protein bars, but they are crappy for fat and calories. I don't like cottage cheese, and am already burned out on yogurt, even the yoplait lights which are too high in sugar but I ate for protein.

I also can't seem to make myself exercise. At bedtime I always feel better about "tomorrow." (Same with cleaning the house, doing homework/studying for my graduate program, etc)

I keep thinking I should "just do it". I'm not like this when I go to work. I have to, it's not an option. But I can't get in that mindset for diet/exercise. (don't get me wrong, I don't totally blow the diet, I just do some things at times that are "frowned upon.")

Then I get the guilt and feeling bad about myself because I'm lazy, etc. Dunno what to do to get myself out of this rut!

Replies

• Robyn_T
    Robyn_T Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I would suggest seeing a councelor. You seem to be doing some self-defeating behaviors and a councelor may be able to help you figure out why and work on your motivation. This could be stress related too, since going through a graduate program and being post-op RNY are both very life changing and involved. A councelor could help you find ways to destress and focus on what you need to do.
  • shandylynn
    Options
    Yes, I probably should. Unfortunately, there is just no time OR money for that. My employer has an employee assistance program that pays for 6 sessions. I might look into it.

I'm awfully good at self-diagnosing though. What are they gonna tell me I don't already know. (Sarcasm intended).

There's definitely a stress component. My husband also recently merged his business and is twice as busy as before, and we're also in the process of adopting a 10 year old boy and trying to get used to each other.

Thanks for the reply!
  • jfbower
    jfbower Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Eating the food that got you overweight could be whats called "extinction" events. the negative term for it is self sabatage but the action/mindset is real. The body is trying to return to its formal self. It happens to a lot of people. Things could be going great for weeks, you do everything right...water, vitamins, protein, and then poof you eat or drink something and you think "what have I done?" Don't beat yourself up too much, try to get back on the train, if you are at a plateau just try to sustain weight until the body is ready to lose more.

Protein shakes: I have had good luck with "Oh Yeah", they taste good...but just so you know when you are going through ketosis, it makes your tongue have a weird taste on it and it can affect the way your food is tasting including shakes.
    Here is a website that has lots of shake options.

http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/p/protein-shake-recipes.html

Yogurt: bleh..one idea is to hide it as another food. Do you like greek tziki sauce. The base of that is greek yogurt and you can use it as veggie dip, put it on your gyro (if you can have lamb) etc.

one last thought about snacks and food: try to have an idea of what you will be eating for the next 6 meals (two days). prep protein snacks if you have the energy. boiled eggs, deviled eggs, hummas, turkey/chicken slices.

Good luck!
  • shandylynn
    Options
    I've never really eaten any greek food, other than a gyro at the mall years ago. I've never heart of tziki sauce. Sounds good though!

I've had a lot of experience with ketosis. I did a lot of low carb diets before surgery, lol. It's not the taste of the shakes as much as it is the smell and texture. If I mix the powders enough to be completely smooth, it gets bubbly and foamy. And every powder has that horrible protein smell, gag!!!

I really get more bummed about my lack of motivation to move. I sleep as long as I possibly can every day. But, I cleaned my house today, so feeling good about that!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Greek Yogurt? (The real stuff, not the fake "greek style" that some brands came out with in order to cash in on the fad.) It's got more protein and less sugar than regular yogurt and it's really creamy. I get FAGE Total 0% (i.e,. no fat) and add some artificial sweetener to it or, now that I'm in maintenance, some fruit.

What helped me was to have nutrition goals for the day. When I was losing, I would do:

Calories: 800 or less
    Protein: 70 g or more
    Carbs: 40 g or less
    Fats: 30 g or less

Then I could eat anything I wanted as long as it fit within those parameters. If I wanted to blow all my carbs on a cookie once in a while, I could. I might have to break it in half and only eat half but it was a choice. But, because I had these goals, I wasn't eating stuff like that every day. Plus, if I ate it and I stayed within my goals, then I didn't beat myself up about it.

This works better for me than having a list of Bad Foods that I am not supposed to eat ever. That just leads to rebellion.

The other thing I did was pick one or two things to work on at a time. You mentioned water, protein, carbs and exercise and that's four things. It can be overwhelming to try to change that many things at once. And that's assuming you are doing okay with the supplements and fats and sugars and a host of other things.

I started with fluid and supplements. Once I got that down, I concentrated on protein. Once I was cruising on protein, I started on exercise. And exercise started out really, really light. I was working out 1-2x a week for 30 minutes at first. But then it grew to 4-5x a week. Then 45 min. each time. Then an hour.

But I didn't try to do all these things at once. That would be too stressful!
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making fruit smoothies with the protein powder. I use1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1/2 container of yogurt, 1/2 banana, sliced strawberries, vanilla protein powder and lots of ice and put in blender. The ice makes it very thick and you cannot smell the protein powder. I pretend that it is a strawberry milkshake.:laugh:

I had lap band surgery and stopped losing after the first couple of months. It wasn't until I joined MFP and started logging my calories that I stopped the picking and became accountable. Instead of grabbing handfuls of cocoa almonds every time I passed the container, I measured out a serving and knew when they were gone,that was it for the day.

Good luck. You can do this!
  • shandylynn
    Options
    Oh man, greek yogurt is YUCK, lol! I'm sure it's more of a mental thing, but I just can't get over it. I tried Fage and Oikos. I hate how it feels on my teeth. I know, I'm weird. I never realized that I was such a picky eater or so affected by texture until after surgery, lol. And I've found that if something had not agreed with me, I have a mental block in being able to tolerate it ever again.

Honestly, I've been lazy about trying to fix protein in different ways. A lot of it is the aversion to the smell based on how it's smelled in the past. That strawberry thing sounds good.

I do have goals. Calories 1200 or less, protein 60 or more, fat 40 or less, and I can't remember carbs. I basically set my carbs and fat to add up to the right amount of calories after 60 grams of protein, if that makes sense. This is because my nutritional plan just instructed to do protein first and stay around 1200-1300 calories, and that everything else would fall into place.

I like the idea of just trying to meet a couple of goals. I'm such a "do it right or don't do it at all," "no grey area" perfectionist though. That's probably why my house is rarely clean or organized. It's exhausting to try to get it perfect!

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and support. It really helps just to hear what others do.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Well Greek yogurt is sour if you don't add sweetener. I always add sweetener if I am eating it. But not for cooking. I use it baking all the time and it works great for that.

Also, for the first 6-12 months, your tastes will change constantly so don't be afraid to try something that didn't work for you before.
  • lesisfit
    Options
    ShandyLynn,
    You and I are very similar, though I am single and have far fewer excuses than you! I am over 18 mths out now and really haven't done a poor job with my diet (I'm diabetic so no choice there) but in terms of exercise and motivation, uuughghhhhh is my only comment! On my days off I too sleep as late as possible and do nothing on my "to do" list. Tomorrow always looks prominsing but never turns out so. What a discouraging pattern. I have very similar diet guidelines as MacMadame and I agree with her that you should only work on one ting at a time. I am currently trying to work my way back up to my calcium supplement requirement (I got burned out and stopped) and trying a new workout routine. This is enough right now considering I am also working a new shift at work. Just pick something and do it. Also, I happen to love, love, love greek yogurt! I buy plain Chobani and use stevia to sweeten and other ingresients for flavor: cinnamon, true lemon, lime, orange, drink mix (like crystal light), sugar free syrups (Davinci, Torani). I never use fruit due to the carbs but tis has been an "everyday" food/treat for me. I realize you may not like it but it is true your tastes change. There is a great low carb product by Big Train that has helped me be creative w/ the protein. I buy their low carb iced vanilla latte, iced caramel latte, and iced mocha mixes. I use half a serving (usually) of protein, 10 oz water, 1 scoop mix, and ice (you can play with the water and ice). I put into blender or ninja mixer and have a wonderful healthy drink. I use unjury protein most of the time and the calories of my drinks range from 110-190 depending on the amt of mix and protein I use. This is awesome considering the drink is at least 32 oz! Lastly I discovered adding some natural peppermint, orange, almond, lime oil to these makes a whole new flavor with no added calories. Hope this helps you or anyone else bored and needing ideas for protein! Good luck!
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    You have to quit making excuses and just do it. Eat right, exercise, take your vitamins, etc. If you do not, not only will you never get to goal, but you will regain all the weight you have lost. Period.

I've lost 200 pounds and have kept it off 2.5 years. I work hard at it and know if I don't, I will regain. I'm not going back there again.
  • dcrdiva
    Options
    Hi, my nmae is Debbie. I had GBS on October 29, 2009 and have lost over 130 lbs. My lowest weight was 197 which I saw for a few days only!! I am battling to get back there! The thing that keeps me on point is to remember what brought me to the point of thinking about having a surgery where I could possibly die. This meant I was very unhappy and could not do it myself. My suggestion to you is to remember that time and then battle one problem area at a time. For example, use your breaks or lunch at work to walk, it s your time for you!! That will start you exercising. Start really looking at when you cheat and take one meal at a time and revamp it with foods you really like! If what you are eating you are not happy with, this will cause you to cheat! Try different foods, things you never had before that are high in protein and low in carbs and sugar!! And above all else, don't give up!
  • slsherwood51
    slsherwood51 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Try some of the different protein drinks. I ordered some from bariatric Choice, which has a website. I like the bariwise fruit drinks, and the strawberry banana shake as well as hot chocolate. They taste good and have about 15 grams of protein. They help keep my protein levels in check.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned how going to work is not optional. For some reason you are viewing your weight control efforts as optional, & until you decide they aren't, you're going to continue having issues. You can make excuses to yourself about not having motivation or being busy, but the reality is that you're not going to be motivated all the time & taking care of your health is going to improve all parts of your life. How do you make yourself go to work when you don't feel like going?
  • shandylynn
    Options
    Oh, I so agree with you! It's a mind over matter thing, and I'm having such a hard time! I'll get there.
  • shandylynn
    Options
    So, I made myself a daily schedule, one for days I work and one for days I'm off work. It includes getting up at the same every day, exercising, even doing hair and makeup, which I rarely do. I also made a rule of no TV/computer until I'm done with my list (housework, school work, exercise, etc) every day.

I HAVE to teach myself self-discipline.
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your schedule! I like the no TV/Computer part