Frustrated

Options
I've been lifting, doing cardio (but not too much) and eating from 1700-2000+ cals a day (just took another test and my BMR is 2200 and I have 10 lbs of FAT to lose). I am having no problem eating and for the most part it is healthy eating. I just weighed myself and I am up 7 lbs and inches all over. Have no clue what else to do. Needless to say I am very depressed and tired of tracking and getting no where.

I am on stage 1 4th week of NROL4W. I am not new to lifting (more than barbie weights like 10 lbs...lol) but new to lifting as heavy as I am now. I AM eating and also trying to have a slight deficit to lose a bit of fat as well. I googled more calculator sites to make sure about my TDEE and I should be eating 2200 for my heght (5'2"), weight (119 now, did get down to 112) so I am getting that in for sure. I just got a fitbit and sure enough I am more active than the "lightly active" setting on MFP so I believe the cals I should be eating. Jamie Eason is my height and she is 110 lbs of muscle. So I know I have the fat to lose so dont tell me I am fine and shouldnt be losing (I've been grilled before by untackful MFPers). Sorry this is just emotionally frustrating to me after all the hard work and good eating I've been doing. No I'm not PMSing and it is not water weight. i gained inches all over and I look it, I DONT look more toned.

What on earth do i do now?

Replies

• jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    All the calculators are actually estimaters. They are good for a baseline starting point, but bodies vary in how diet/exercise affects them. You have to tweak things to get the results you want.

I raised and lowered calories several times to find the "sweet spot" where I felt I could build muscle while gaining minimal fat. You don't have a lot to lose; you are mostly trying for body recomposition. It will be slow progress. Tweak your cals down a couple hundred for a few weeks, and see if it gets you going in the right direction. If it isn't enough, try a hundred or so more. Be patient. Don't give up. You've got the rest of your life to get it right!

:flowerforyou:
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    All the calculators are actually estimaters. They are good for a baseline starting point, but bodies vary in how diet/exercise affects them. You have to tweak things to get the results you want.

I raised and lowered calories several times to find the "sweet spot" where I felt I could build muscle while gaining minimal fat. You don't have a lot to lose; you are mostly trying for body recomposition. It will be slow progress. Tweak your cals down a couple hundred for a few weeks, and see if it gets you going in the right direction. If it isn't enough, try a hundred or so more. Be patient. Don't give up. You've got the rest of your life to get it right!

:flowerforyou:

I agree with jarrettd-just adjust to what you want to accomplish.

There come times with me when I get tired of logging, counting, working out and stressing about the whole thing and nothing happens. Then I think the stress gets the best of me and I have to step back just relax about the whole thing. I stop logging and eat the best I can. If I skip a WO, I just pick up the next day. All I'm saying-the case for me-I don't know if that is your case, but you know yourself the best-the more I stress, the more things don't happen for me-in loosing weight, having a great day at the gym or whatever else.

Good luck to you! I know you will make it work!
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Thankyou :)

Reading comments helps alot.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Even the book says to tweak your calories at the end of the first month. If the scale is going in the wrong direction, you may very well need to back up just a tad, not much but a tad.
  • SmallerBecky
    Options
    Your post sounds just like something I posted to my profile a couple weeks ago, remember? :blushing: I so understand. I so get it. Remember what I told you in the New Rules thread that you posted. I just had to make a decision to stop trying to be so supportive of my muscle building and start really working on cutting the fat. So that is what I am doing now. I'm not going to tell you to try the spike diet because I can see where it wouldn't be for everyone. I kind of have an idea of who it would work for and who it would not, and I don't know for sure if it would work for you (you know, Jeanine, that I know you a little better than the average MFPer, as I am on your friends list). I don't have a FitBit so I can't be certain of my daily activity and I am taller than you are and I'm not lifting with New Rules yet. I'm just doing P90X (starting week 11 of 13 today). I don't know what to tell you. Have you tried really looking into what Jamie Eason does? You know that she cycles with bulking and cutting. What does she do during the cutting phase? I saw on Facebook that she has begun cutting now and is adding in more cardio.

No big answers for you; just can feel your frustration and identify with it and want you to know that I'm here for you and with you, Jeanine! :hugs:
  • CassieLeigh86
    CassieLeigh86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I just found this post, because I weighed in this morning and measured, and am in the exact same position that you are! My clothes are tighter, I weigh more, and I have gained inches. I was feeling pretty bad about it...but reading all of these responses has made me realize I just need to do a little tweaking, and not give up! I think my plan is going to be to cut about 150 calories from my goals now, and then give it a couple weeks and adjust again if necessary. Anyway, I too completely understand your frustration, and while it sucks, I think we need to just give ourselves a break, and some time :)