bariatric advantage....eww much?

Options
does anybody else think the chewable vitabands and f***ing disgusting?! i got the mixed berry and it like chewing on sour powdered milk. plus some lye half way through. ugh. i wasted 25 bucks on that. have you guys found some of their stuff that isnt so gross?

Replies

• mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have bariatric advantage, dont mind em but I cant do 2 at a time, I do one, drink some water (this is pre surgery) then do another, also I take mine at night, they make me feel like **** kinda like prenatals did.
  • jmurphyaz
    Options
    I bought natures plus - really not bad, but they are vitamins. It was waaaaaay better than the BA crystals. A word of warning to anyone looking to buy BA products - they are OVERLOADED with artificial sweetener and very hard to handle. The calcium chews are yummy, but you have to take 6 a day which is expensive. The Calcium lozenges in cinnamon are good, they taste like fireballs, but are chalky and can be spicy. The 2 products they suggested through my doc were centrum chewables and flintstone chewables.

Hope that helps :smile:
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    yea. i aksed my doctor if there was another brand i could take and he was adament about bariatric advantage. ugh.
  • jmurphyaz
    Options
    Compare the vitamins and take a different one that matches. It is ridiculous for them to be adamant about 1 brand which is also expensive. Do what works for you. Besides my doc is the director of Mayo clinic bariatric and he offers multiple suggestions. So there are other good brands out there. Good luck!
  • mfisher16508
    Options
    I was told I could take centrum silver too. I realized tht vitaband and bariatric advantage are one in the same when I just took mine. lol. they dont really bother me though.
  • tmalina
    tmalina Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I take the Celebrate brand ones. They are geared toward bariatric patients as well. I am taking the mandarin orange flavored multivitamin, and while it isn't the best, it's tolerable. I also take the berry flavored iron pills and I really don't mind them at all.
  • hhamilton1203
    hhamilton1203 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My Dr and his office came up with their own multi-vita capsule and protein powder and we can buy it from them. It’s cheaper than the bariatric advantage and I can use my FSA card to buy them. I had the lap band and as long as the pill you are taking is either a chewable or capsule you should be fine. The only thing I get from bariatric advantage is the chewable calcium.
  • sorchagriannon
    Options
    Yeah, the berry multivits are hideous. I have to add water to my mouth just to get them down. Now the Mint Calcium from them are awesome, so I may try mint in the vits next time
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I bought the mixed berry chewables too. OMG I would almost throw up every day. I made it 3 weeks on them befor buying the capsules. The heavy B12 in the vitamin ends up being what I tasted. That is such s bad taste.
  • tessanne10
    tessanne10 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am now taking the Celebrate Multivitamins and Iron tablets. Their not too bad. I have them both in grape flavor. They remind me of the Flintstone vitamins in taste.
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I am the "Gummie" Queen!!! All the vits I take are gummies and I love it as trying to swallow pills is not my forte! I use generic gummies for Calcium Carbonate and take extra D3 gummies. I also take Bcomplex, C, and multivits - the latter taken in a.m. and former in pm.
    I love that they chew up so well and slide down without getting stuck and no water. The only thing I don't like is the price - ave $10/bottle (30 day supply) - but the ease in taste and swallow is all worth it to me.
  • tmalina
    tmalina Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It is so strange how every doctor is different. My doctor strictly forbids gummy vitamins. :(
  • TraciLee36
    TraciLee36 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    We cn not take gummy vitamins but i did like those before surgery
  • mfisher16508
    Options
    nu gummies here for us, either, but I really am not sure why....now I must research
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have found a liquid multi that is not too bad. Picked it up at a Nutrition store, not cheap, has a strong taste of vitamin and orange juice, but better than the chewables. I chase it with a little diluted apple juice, does the trick.

I have found this particular shop to be great, the woman who works there is very knowledgable, she also steered me towards a calcium supplement particularly good for those of us who now have malabsorbtive issues. She also gave me a couple of suggestions for constipation (which is exacerbated by iron supplements), which have also been helpful.

We don't have access to BA here in Canada, unless purchased over internet.

Pamela
  • Scribetoo
    Scribetoo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Optisource. I like them in Orange.
  • authormarieskye
    authormarieskye Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was taking the bariatric fusion chewables and the first 2 days they were fine. Now i can't stand them and would rather eat tar. I finally switched to bariatric advantage capsules, which had me taking 6 multivitamins a day. I find that a bit much. Once I ran out of that, i take the walmart brand multivitamin, 2 of those, 2 biotins and a vitamin d chewable. Now i'm not sure if these vitamins are good enough for me yet since i'm only 10 months out, but i'll find out in august when I do labs.
  • Gahummingbyrd
    Options
    I take the BA multi- vitamins, liquid calcium & vit. D, chewable Biotin, B-12, and Papaya enzymes all from WalMart. I don't like the taste of any of it. All of it is so sweet. Kind of like those pez candies. It's all working for me though. My labs came back great. My regimen is working, so I just suck it up.
  • authormarieskye
    authormarieskye Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've hard about the papaya enzymes but no idea what they're actually for
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I also do the celebrate multi and iron, I use the calcet calcium because it's like a decadent treat, and I get B12 shots. I have lots of friends who start taking Flintstone's with iron, two a day, in place of the multi and iron, about a month out and have had no trouble with their iron or other vitamin levels.