Swap Running Shoes

Options
Hello! I am training for my 1st marathon and heard that it's important to wear different running shoes throughout the week. I currently wear minimalist shoes (Nike Frees) for cross training/weights 2-3x week and a more structured shoe (Nike Lunarglide) for my LSD and Interval training. No injuries thus far, though my heels tend to be sore after my long runs. Any thoughts about this philosophy or additional suggestions?

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I do all my runs in the same model of shoes. I rotate two pairs (every other run more or less). I've been running in the same shoes (Brooks Adrenaline) for 9+ years now.

Every now couple years I go shopping for a different model, but I always decide I like my beloved Brooks the best.

I wear them for everything from 5Ks to marathons. I wore them in my one 50K as well.

So that is my long winded way of saying, no you don't need to run in different models of shoes. My physical therapist got me started on running out of two pairs at once.
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I pretty much do the exact thing Arc does, in the same shoes! (Brooks Adrenalines ftw!)

But since I'm a girl I...

1)Buy different colors to tell them apart and match outfits

2) Because different colors are FUNNER!

My favorite rendition was a purple and turquoise pair I found online last year. They aren't available anymore *tear.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I run in Nike Free 5.0's - intervals, tempo runs, long runs, recovery runs... all in the 5.0's (and, obviously, they're what I race in, also). I don't actually alternate them, either; I just run in the same pair and keep track of the mileage on 'em; just want to be sure I don't have to switch to a new pair right before a marathon. Works for me so far...
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I run in Vibrams everyday, once in a while in Inov8s if the Vibrams are wet and it's cold outside. The Vibrams have a little over 1000 miles on them now. They seem to last a long time, especially if you don't mind using shoe goo on the bottom.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    The shoe manufacturers will tell you anything to get you to buy more shoes.
  • finnishfemme
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you everyone for posting and giving me tips! :drinker:

I think my next step is to check my stride and get the appropriate shoe (in the prettiest shade of pink I can find.)
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as Arc and BJ. Well, more like BJ.

I've got about 4 pairs of Nike Pegasus +26 that I'm running/working out in. I use my old old ones that aren't really good for runs anymore for my gym stuff and I rotate my newer and mid-old ones for short/long runs, depending on my needs. It's really helped to not go from super compressed terrible shoes to brand new crisp shoes by rotating them.

I'm like everyone else... once I found my Nikes, I'm pretty loyal. I find even if I go and try on other shoes, nothing feels quite as good. Especially since I started out in New Balances! Let's just say I *thought* I liked running before, but now I *LOVE* running! Oh, and I get to keep my toenails. A major plus :)