Question (somewhat PCOS but mostly low carb related)

Options
TXBelle1174
TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
I know that a low carb diet works for me. I have had lots of success with Atkins in the past. I have PCOS and I am IR along with hypothyroid. I am looking to go to a lower carb plan but I am not sure what my limit should be for daily carb intake. Any suggestions for that? Any suggestions for a PCOS related diet or something of that sort? Thanks!

Replies

• Kelly_1981
    Kelly_1981 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Hey! How funny I JUST this second replied to you on the main forum and recommended that you come here!

I have PCOS and have decided this is the year I WILL beat PCOS as much as possible and I think I am winning finally!! I have been TTC for 8 years now and have battles with the facial hair and the weight gain, I was dreading starting low carb because I thought I would feel sick in fact day 1 I was walking around the grocery store moaning that "I will HATE this, I am already sick of meat and eggs" LOL How silly was I, it has been a lot easier than I thought. I tried the 1200 calorie diet that MFP suggested and lost NOTHINGI after looking at the stats I was eating 45% of my calories on "low fat, healthy" foods.

I have since cut out all white flour,bread,potatoes and carbs and feel GREAT!! I have lost weight but more imporatantly I measured myself I have lost 2 inches off my belly this week!!! The scale isnt moving as quick as I want but I didnt do the induction phase to a T, but I am happy with how I feel and I got my period on my own! Which is massive for me. I dont feel as hungry and I feel in control.

I dont think there is a one size fits all diet but this for me is working, the everything in moderation doesnt work for me and my body. I would say listen to your body maybe speak to a Dr and give low carb a month if it doesnt work you have lost nothing x

Good luck x
  • mrsjenfrank
    mrsjenfrank Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I am a LC-er with PCOS and IR as well. Been working with a nutritionist for 6 months and she has me not worrying about calories or fat and focusing on staying in between 90 - 120g of carb a day and making sure I get a lot of protein as well (this number is different for everyone, so I wont even post how many g`s I try to eat). Also after lots of research and talking with other PCOS-ers, I have cut most soy from my diet. I am also lactose intolerant, and was using soy milk a few times a week. Well, soy is a phyto-estrogen and can mimic estrogen in the body and when you have PCOS you already have problems with hormones, so screwing around with it even more makes things worse. I started drinking unsweetened almond milk and LOVE IT!

Since I cut soy from my diet, and so far have lost 33lbs doing low carb, my AF has returned on its own (not needing medication to induce it anymore!) and my face has also started to clear up A LOT.

Try focusing on eating `healthy` carbs like fruits and veggies. And if you must do a starch choose whole grains over refined white. Grains are broken down by the body differently and ppl with PCOS and especially IR, the refined whites cause spikes in your insulin levels, and will cause you to crave the refined whites (and sugars) even more than you normally would.

Sorry if that`s kind of all over the place. I hope you can make sense of it. Good luck with your weight-loss and healthy lifestyle journey!

ETA: pls keep in mind what works for one person may not always work for another. i was trying to comment more from the angle of being a PCOS-er more than trying to imply that what I do is the be all end all. I hope you can find something that works for you, based off what you learn from others.