The fibro fog

Options
vittix
vittix Posts: 84 Member
Besides flare ups and the fact i can smell everything i dislike 10x more. The thing that really takes its toll on me is the fibro fog. Forgetfulness and spacing out. The stopping in the middle of talking because the fog came in taken away my train of thought. So i ask of you folks what you do to help lift the fog?

Replies

• hawk1jen
    hawk1jen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Gosh....I so know what you mean about the fibro fog. I try as hard as I can to remain focused on what I am doing/thinking in the given moment. Try to shut out anything else that does not pertain to what you are doing at that time. It will help and you will overcome it!! I feel the frustration, believe me!! :explode:
  • vittix
    Options
    Im a big list maker, never go out without one that helps. Get me in the Dr's office i get stuck. Talking to my 14 yr i get stuck ( loves that lol) i always seem to have a few things going lol on top of calorie counting. That seems to be the thing that i never for get. lol I read something about omga 3 helping. Im wondering if anyones used it and if it helped? Oh im so thankfull for my smart phone
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Yes, love that fog,lol, not!!!!! I kept telling myself it was because I was getting older, forgetful. I too have to have lists, but half the time I forget to look at my lists!!!!!:noway: I don't have any answers, it is just a part of it all I guess!
  • vittix
    Options
    i forget my list all the time i soon time have my boyfriend text me the list i forgot. Thankfuly i never forget my phone lol as always its helps to know im not the only one lol
  • itreycee
    Options
    I try to do anything important the same way every time so at least if I get foggy maybe the fact a pattern has been nailed into my head will kick in. I also have to make lists sometimes too, and a 7 year old who never lets me forget anything!! :)
  • RILEYRED
    Options
    sometimes the fog kicks in when I am driving, and that really scares me.Does anyone ever notice that?
  • crazysquaw51
    Options
    I never use to have a list , now the list needs a list
    Mary:laugh:
  • hsmithway
    Options
    sometimes the fog kicks in when I am driving, and that really scares me.Does anyone ever notice that?

I hate that. Sometimes I'll be driving, and suddenly I have no idea where I am, and it's really creepy.

It's a good thing I live close to the gym - If I forget my gym shoes I don't have far to go to retreive them :P
  • RILEYRED
    Options
    haha, exactly,hsmithway. But, it is seriously scary, I will stop driving if I ever think I am a risk to other people. Unreal,huh?:noway: :noway:
  • Pifflesmom
    Pifflesmom Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I work in a job where somedays, I'm doing 100 things at once for 150 people (literally)...and I forget what I'm doing. Thankfully, I have a very understanding boss who I've had to explain my fibromyalgia to - and have asked him to assist me by writing things down, NOT telling me verbally - that's the worst thing for me. I used to have a mind like a steel trap - now I have a note on the back of my front door that says 'PUT PANTS ON' :sad:
  • nancyinfernley
    Options
    i will be talking and forget what to say next, totally forget what i was talking about or substitute one word for another like, "the red dog barked!" i might say, "the red god barked!" and but i swear i will hear it as the red DOG. i think it affects our internal hearing. my adult daughter is in the habit of saying, "what did you mean to say god or dog?" or "what did you just say?" lol. then of course i cannot remember what i just said. i could never answer questions in class either when somebody would shoot a question at me or asked to repeat myself. very annoying especially if they want you to clarify something because they thought you said something smart or rude and you didn't but look guilty because you can't remember for anything. eventually i remember, but not anytime soon.

talk about annoying. i have to take lists everywhere and i'm always forgetting my car keys, phone, purse, wallet, myself, etc. luckily i have never forgotten my kids or grandson (not that anybody could forget him as loud and obnoxious as he is, lol). but i wonder sometimes.
  • TLCLuvNLife
    Options
    I totally hear and agree with what everyone is saying about the fibro fog! It's sssssooo frustrating when you can't focus long enough to complete a sentence. I've already had to re-focus myself a couple of times just writing this!!! I am so open to any suggestions anyone has to fight the fog. Sometimes, I don't know what's worse, the fog or the pain. I have actually started to do brain workouts at www.lumosity.com and there is also other brain training apps for Android and/or the Kindle Fire that I am trying out. I just started it a couple of days ago, so I will let you all know how it goes after a couple weeks or so.:smile:
  • vittix
    Options
    I stop as I'm talking with no clue what i was saying or like some of you replace the word out loud to something else even tho i swear thats not what i said. I talked to me Dr about this, I feel like a space case. She wants to do a sleep lab. She thinks lack of stage 4 sleep can make the fog worse. I'm all for trying it but in the lab there isn't 3 cats wanting in and out of the bedroom and there is no kid in the house. I can't fall asleep until my son is asleep. I guess we will see what happens. Has anyone else done a sleep lab?
  • vittix
    Options
    I totally hear and agree with what everyone is saying about the fibro fog! It's sssssooo frustrating when you can't focus long enough to complete a sentence. I've already had to re-focus myself a couple of times just writing this!!! I am so open to any suggestions anyone has to fight the fog. Sometimes, I don't know what's worse, the fog or the pain. I have actually started to do brain workouts at www.lumosity.com and there is also other brain training apps for Android and/or the Kindle Fire that I am trying out. I just started it a couple of days ago, so I will let you all know how it goes after a couple weeks or so.:smile:
    Please do let us know how that works out
  • vittix
    Options
    I'm im driving on a back road sometimes the thought comes to me "Where am i?" I recall wheI'm im going "home" and just keep driving and almost auto pilot Its scary
  • KarenBoster
    KarenBoster Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I did the sleep test a few years back. Come to find out I have sleep apnea and was only in rem sleep about a tenth of the time the average person is. Not good when you have fibro. You do most of your healing and restorative sleep when you are in rem sleep.
  • KarenBoster
    KarenBoster Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    What I hate about the fibro fog the most is repeatedly telling someone the same thing over and over again cause I have no recollection of saying it before. Some days I think my kids think I am going senile.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    The fog scares me more than any other aspect of fibro. I've been driving along and completely lost all recognition of where I was, even on routes I've traveled hundreds of times in my life. It usually only lasts a few seconds, but it's left me in tears more than once. Other than it being scary, things like not being able to find the words you need mid-sentence are very embarrassing. Even online, I've gotten into the habit of proofreading (how ironic is it that I proofread this and realized I left out the word proofreading?) everything before I hit enter. I find myself second-guessing myself all the time when I'm telling stories or recanting memories, because I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering things correctly.

I think it's pure exhaustion, really, and I think stress makes it worse. I have vivid, exhausting dreams all night every night, and I wake up feeling worse than when I went to bed. The longer I go without a decent night's sleep, the more foggy I feel.
  • LoveToCraft
    LoveToCraft Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i will be talking and forget what to say next, totally forget what i was talking about or substitute one word for another like, "the red dog barked!" i might say, "the red god barked!" and but i swear i will hear it as the red DOG. i think it affects our internal hearing. my adult daughter is in the habit of saying, "what did you mean to say god or dog?" or "what did you just say?" lol. then of course i cannot remember what i just said.

I do this all the time!! My kids get the biggest laughs out of some of the things that come out of my mouth. I have finally coined the term "verbal dyslexia" to describe it to people and doctors. It's just another part of this fun ride called fibro. :)

My fog is always worse in the winter and better in the summer. Probably something to do with the light, at least for me. One thing that I do is that I literally get up an hour earlier than I have to so that I can have a cup of coffee, take my meds and just sit and "wake up" mentally. When I wasn't doing that, I was useless for my first hour at work. Luckily I have an understanding boss too.
  • Pifflesmom
    Pifflesmom Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Years ago, before I was diagnosed, I remember telling my doctor that sometimes I just couldn't get the words out properly and was finding it very frustrating. She told me not to talk so fast. She's not my doctor anymore. :angry:

I have to admit that with my healthier eating, it's been a bit better - mostly I think because I'm getting some decent sleep (I was diagnosed about a year ago with chronic sleep deprivation - being around me was DELIGHTFUL - not!)...but the fog is still there and some days I feel like I'm not really participating in life - it's sort of like watching everyone else through a bag of cotton and there are days where I literally cannot get up and out of bed...I have to call in sick because I KNOW I'm not going to be able to function. Try explaining that to your boss :ohwell:

Take care, all :flowerforyou: