Anyone done Whole 30 / 30 day challege - tracking question

Options
twinmom01
twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
Ok so I started a 30 day Paleo challege this past weekend - fairly strict paleo - no natural sweetners, not even sweet potatoes...

I have been a fairly clean eater for the past year so I am hoping it won't be so hard...

Main question is tracking - I have decided to do my best about tracking here on MFP - I know my numbers (esp. chol. and sat. fat are going to be way high) I'm not worried about staying within my calorie "goal" since I know I will be eating more stuff with fat there will be higher calories....but I would like to see what my calorie intake will be to see where the avearge is when I eat til full.

My question has to do with tracking things like coconut oil when you are frying something - like an egg or last night I made Salmon cakes and fried them using coconut oil - should I put the total amount of coconut oil I used or not - since not all of it gets "absorbed" into the food...KWIM...

Replies

• rova411
    Options
    Hi I've done Whole 30's in the past and I usually include the total amount of coconut oil I used to cook with even though I know not all of it is getting absorbed/eaten. That's just what I did, but you should do what you think is best for you :) Good luck with your Whole30 and keep us posted!!

Oh and I went in and adjusted my goals for fat/carbs/protein because MFP's calculations for me were not what I wanted (i.e. super high in carbs and really low in fat etc). That way it didn't look like I was way off which was just a personal preference for me!
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I've always included the full amount of oils that I used, even though I know I don't actually eat them all. Better to overestimate, than underestimate!

Also, I thought sweet potatoes were okay on the Whole 30? I know they specify not to eat white potatoes (http://whole9life.com/2012/01/whole-30-v2012/) but saw no mention of yams or other root vegetables not being allowed. I do not have the Success Guide/Shopping Guide though, perhaps it's in there?
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    For me, it kind of depends on the food.

If I fry an egg and use a tablespoon of butter, I'll record 1/2 tablespoon - it's obvious that at least as much butter remained in the pan as stayed on the egg.

If I coat the bottom of my cast iron skillet with some baconfat before throwing on a steak, I don't record it - because at least that much fat will be rendered from the steak as it cooks. I DO use the 'raw' nutritional data for the steak, however. 8oz of raw ribeye has x calories; but depending on on how you cook it (rare or well done; broiled or pan fried), the weight and fat content of the cooked steak can vary considerably.
  • twinmom01
    Options
    I've always included the full amount of oils that I used, even though I know I don't actually eat them all. Better to overestimate, than underestimate!

Also, I thought sweet potatoes were okay on the Whole 30? I know they specify not to eat white potatoes (http://whole9life.com/2012/01/whole-30-v2012/) but saw no mention of yams or other root vegetables not being allowed. I do not have the Success Guide/Shopping Guide though, perhaps it's in there?

I am doing a 30 day challenge with a group from my Crossfit affiliate and the person running it wants us to stay away from sweet potatoes so our body pulls the glycogen from the other foods we eat...I was very sad to hear this as I LOVE sweet potatoes - but it is only for 30 days - I do believe on the whole 30 sweet potatoes/yams are allowed....and I know they are definately a Paleo food...as I have been eating clean with a Paleo slant - I have found that some strawberries with coconut milk "whipped creme" has satisfied my sweet needs for now
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options

I am doing a 30 day challenge with a group from my Crossfit affiliate and the person running it wants us to stay away from sweet potatoes so our body pulls the glycogen from the other foods we eat...I was very sad to hear this as I LOVE sweet potatoes - but it is only for 30 days - I do believe on the whole 30 sweet potatoes/yams are allowed....and I know they are definately a Paleo food...as I have been eating clean with a Paleo slant - I have found that some strawberries with coconut milk "whipped creme" has satisfied my sweet needs for now

Ah ok. 30 days without sweet potatoes wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to me anyways hehe.

That sounds delicious, I love strawberries and cream!
  • dmauder
    dmauder Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have found that some strawberries with coconut milk "whipped creme" has satisfied my sweet needs for now

You've got my attention! How do you whip the coconut milk?? I'm also doing Whole30 currently, and just started using MFP as well. I need all the hot tips I can get! :smile:
  • twinmom01
    Options
    I have found that some strawberries with coconut milk "whipped creme" has satisfied my sweet needs for now

You've got my attention! How do you whip the coconut milk?? I'm also doing Whole30 currently, and just started using MFP as well. I need all the hot tips I can get! :smile:

get regular coconut milk in the can (don't get lite) - put it in the fridge overnight- open and scoop out the white solid part - you can then whip it and use in like you do whipped creme - it doesn't have as sweet a taste as regular whipped creme