Favorite/Least favorite pose

Options
yoginimary
yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
Do you have a favorite or least favorite pose? Share and tell why.

Favorite pose: changes all the time. I like backbends and arm balances a lot, I also like floor stretches and inversions. Right now, I would say chair sarvangasana (shoulderstand) - which I find quite restful and pincha mayurasana (great name as well, also known as peacock), which I find quite invigorating.

Least favorite - doesn't change - anything that is a lot of ab work, my abs are weak.

Replies

• Himi16
    Himi16 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Favorite: Right now, I really enjoy pigeon. It gives me a great stretch but I can also fully relax while in the pose.

Least Favorite: Hand stands - I suffered a neck injury a few years ago and I'm terrified of landing on my head while inverted!! It's a mental issue...
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    favorite: tigerstands
    least favorit: half lotus - bum knee. I have never been able to do full lotus.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Favourite - Pidgeon pose. It feels so good for my poor tight IT bands. But I also love standing forward bends.

Least Favourite - A toss up between downward dog (I am getting better at it, but it is hard on the shoulders, hamstrings, legs and lower back) and eagle / evil pose. I can do every other balance pose without problems usually, but I wobble all over the place in eagle pose.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Favourite - Pidgeon pose. It feels so good for my poor tight IT bands. But I also love standing forward bends.

Least Favourite - A toss up between downward dog (I am getting better at it, but it is hard on the shoulders, hamstrings, legs and lower back) and eagle / evil pose. I can do every other balance pose without problems usually, but I wobble all over the place in eagle pose.

The ones which we struggle with are the ones we need to work hardest on of course!:laugh:

I hear you on eagle pose, but love a good downward dog. I think my favourite may be Warrior II at the moment, and my nemesis Navasana.
  • iamvillanueva
    Options
    Favorites are any arm balance or inversion. Least favorite is half moon pose. It looks so easy, but I struggle.
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Favorite is downdog....could stay there all day. Don't care for the sitting spine twist.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Favorite is downdog....could stay there all day. Don't care for the sitting spine twist.

For me, seated spine twists are a doddle, but downdog is very strong.
  • Slimtara
    Slimtara Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am in the "downward dog is tough" camp too.

Loving Matsyasana at the moment as I am playing a lot of raquet sports and its a great stretch. I do it with a block sometimes to really let go.
    I struggle with all forward bends but the weight loss is really helping. I am big busted and they just get in the blooming way!!

:laugh:
  • Califragilistic
    Options
    I am in the "downward dog is tough" camp too.

Loving Matsyasana at the moment as I am playing a lot of raquet sports and its a great stretch. I do it with a block sometimes to really let go.
    I struggle with all forward bends but the weight loss is really helping. I am big busted and they just get in the blooming way!!

:laugh:

I feel you on the bust issue, used to bug me in shoulder stand. I can't jump forward and land with my knees in between my hands - something most pple take for granted... Bashing my blobs is just not an option... Same for those chest squashing poses with the chin on the ground...

Fave - vinyasa; Eugh - one legged dogs and binds (currently impossible)...
  • bunnygrrl309
    Options
    I love triangle. It looks like such an easy pose, bt it is pretty complicated. It's a twist, but a chest opener, but a standing pose. It makes me feel strong. After 3+ years of practicing it, I am still working on it.

I want to successful do a forearm stand without crashing down.

I keep the mantra "Practice and all is coming" by Pattahbi Jois in my head everytime I try.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    This is my absolute favorite pose, "carry butt to wall" is what my husband calls it! lol.

Please VOTE FOR ME!!!

http://talentsearch.yogajournal.com/view/1574?sort=recent
  • BarefootGaia
    Options
    Love: Hip openers, core strengthening poses, arm balances.. (I loooooove plank and chaturanga!)

Dislike: Forward folds and poses that tug at my quads. My legs are really weak and have always been my tough spot. (I almost have my feet planted for downward dog, and my head is almost to my knee when sitting and reaching for my feet, though! Small victories keep me going!)
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    my current favorite in crane because I can finally do it. I also love triangle... such a great stretch.

Half moon is hard for me... which is frustrating because I use to have such great balance... it's getting better though (sort of)
  • nose6
    nose6 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Favorite: Eagle! It actually comes naturally to me to wrap my arms and legs around each other like that.

Least favorite: Half moon. I have tight hamstrings, so my hand doesn't go to the floor and I have to balance it on a block instead. Also, I usually fall over. I'm lasting longer before I fall over these days, at least.
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Favourite: Triangle! It just feels amazing, and it's the pose that I first noticed my progress with. Last year, I could only do it with a block and a bent knee, now it just feels natural and I feel solid doing it. I actually love downward dog and downward dog split

Least favourite: half moon- mostly because I find it frustrating. My form is awful on one leg :S
  • tulip07
    tulip07 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Currently my favorites are
    chakrasana (wheel pose) that makes me feels strong(!) and
    eka pada rajakapotasana (LOL I just wanted to write that :smile: I mean the pigeon pose) that gives me a very good stretch!!

My least favorite right now is the
    sarvangasana (the shoulder stand) - for some reason I just cannot handle the inverted poses. I would love to do this pose and just can't do it right now :(
  • nikirtehsuxlol
    nikirtehsuxlol Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Faves: half moon, triangle, and handstand attempts (ALMOST got it)

Least Faves: camel and, god, bow pose.
  • EleMeleUkulele
    EleMeleUkulele Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Favorites: all forward-bending poses, like paschimottanasana, and above all, rope sirsasana.

Least favorite: reverse/twisted half-moon; I can do the normal half-moon, but this one still poses problems. Ah well, practice makes perfect, I guess. ;)
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    favorite-tree pose-took me awhile to get my balance but now that i have it i jut love that pose. Also downward dog, child's pose, and warrior 1,2, and 3

least favorite-any handstands. i also have just started practicing them recently. i hope to master them someday
  • astargirlpower
    Options
    favorite: plank to up dog and headstand

least favorite: forearm balance , L pose, handstand