New to group.

Options
lostemt76
lostemt76 Posts: 136 Member
Hi this lostemt I have been on mfp just short of a year. During this first year it has been a ride of up and down weight loss. In the past 6-8 month I finally started dropping weight. Started at 335 and down to 300. After my first 20 lbs dropped it opened so many door for me. The major one was walking any distance without pain and walking on the treadmill. I have signed up for my first 1 mile fun run/walk in the end of March. I do have arthritis in both knees and both bone on bone but i can't let it stop me. Last night I found a free podcast couch to 5k. I'm doing this to help me get running just starting small with the 1 mile runs. Got to some new sneakers Asic Gel Kahana 5. I also have been using MapMyRun to help me track and area to run in that is about a mile.:drinker:

Replies

• lohitverma
    lohitverma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group,
    I am using the zen labs C25K app on ipod, i quite like it and is good enough for a treadmill
  • Ely160
    Ely160 Posts: 51
    Options
    Hi this lostemt I have been on mfp just short of a year. During this first year it has been a ride of up and down weight loss. In the past 6-8 month I finally started dropping weight. Started at 335 and down to 300. After my first 20 lbs dropped it opened so many door for me. The major one was walking any distance without pain and walking on the treadmill. I have signed up for my first 1 mile fun run/walk in the end of March. I do have arthritis in both knees and both bone on bone but i can't let it stop me. Last night I found a free podcast couch to 5k. I'm doing this to help me get running just starting small with the 1 mile runs. Got to some new sneakers Asic Gel Kahana 5. I also have been using MapMyRun to help me track and area to run in that is about a mile.:drinker:

Welcome!!

We're glad you're here with us because quite frankly, we all have (or have had) some type of struggle when it comes to running. But the important step is to get up and do something about it and you have given that first step. Make sure you consult your doctor about this and the arthritis in your knees...you don't want to injure yourself!! I actually have arthritis in my back and my doctor was thrilled when I mentioned my C25K plans, but please check with your doctor first.

On that note, I wish you luck in this journey, which really wont be needed if you are determined and willing to push forward; We have and are doing it... SO CAN YOU!!! :drinker:
  • lostemt76
    lostemt76 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great advice. Did mine on the treadmill today and yes I shot tonight but when I was done it was a victory in my pocket. Off the next 2 days from so I am going to rest. I think even with the arthritis the Doc is happy with any exercise i can handle.
  • jainpankaj82
    Options
    Hi there...I have recently joined the MFP. Looking for support system to get going. Started with brisk walking 5km/hr for an hour everyday.
  • taylor0204
    taylor0204 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group:smile: I have been on the MFP website since Jan 1st of this year. I can tell you if support is what you need, you will find it here. I want to encourage you both to take small steps and revel in small successes. The first success is signing up for this website and joining the journey.
  • urbanmasala
    urbanmasala Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone! My name is Lynne. I joined MFP in June 2011, but didn't really become seriously active until October. I've had pretty decent weight loss success so far, but I have hit a plateau and I am becoming increasingly disappointed each week the scale doesn't budge, especially since I put forth more effort this past week. l put in a quite a few extra biking miles, increased my walking miles and ate cleaner than I have in months. I just don't get it. But I'm not going to give up.

After years of inactivity, I started walking again about four weeks ago. I started out walking for 30 minutes (about 1.18 miles) and now I'm up to 37 minutes (about 1.85 miles). This is in addition to cycling about 30 to 45 miles per week for the past couple of months. I'm trying to get my body conditioned enough to start a walk-to-run program in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping to get up to a full 2 miles before I start the program, which I hope will be March 5. So far, it's been going pretty well. We'll see. I'm using RunKeeper and DailyMile to track my activities.

I'm looking forward to interacting with this group.
  • taylor0204
    taylor0204 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi Lynne, I am so happy to see you on this forum:smile: I have mentioned to you so many times that you are my source of inspiration. So now you have hit a weight loss plateau. At some point it happens to everyone. In fact I was just able to overcome a 3 weeks plateau last week. Let me share with you what I did. First, I researched the Internet to arm myself with additional information (scientific and otherwise) to see just really what was going on. With this information, I made a few changes.

One thing for sure is you have improved your diet and increased your exercise so you have already improved your health. And all of these great changes are what you are seeking and the weight loss is an added benefit. Stay focused and Stay committed.

Can't wait until you hit the road running..... you will be ready to kick Assphault :smile:
  • Ely160
    Options
    Hi there...I have recently joined the MFP. Looking for support system to get going. Started with brisk walking 5km/hr for an hour everyday.

Welcome!! We are excited to see you here and if support is what you need, just as Taylor said, you've come to the right place! Any questions or concerns you may have, feel free to post them. Just as I mentioned on the main page when I created tthis group, we are not professionals, but, we've either "been there-done that", "are there-doing that" or will soon "be there- to do that".

You're on your way to a healthier, slimmer you; Glad you're here! :drinker:
  • Ely160
    Options
    Hello, everyone! My name is Lynne. I joined MFP in June 2011, but didn't really become seriously active until October. I've had pretty decent weight loss success so far, but I have hit a plateau and I am becoming increasingly disappointed each week the scale doesn't budge, especially since I put forth more effort this past week. l put in a quite a few extra biking miles, increased my walking miles and ate cleaner than I have in months. I just don't get it. But I'm not going to give up.

Hi Lynne and welcome!

I completely understand what you're going through... it's called a plateau. That's when your body gets used to what you're doing, therefore, it stops working so hard and you see no results. Try toning it down for a few days. Don't be surprise if one day you DONT workout and/or exceed your calorie intake and still lose weight. We need to be "surprising" our body. Ex. Monday: Cardio for 45 mins, Tues: Strength training only Wed: Cardio for 30 mins, Thurs, etc... Watch what you eat and try not eat the same thing all the time, at the same time...Try it for one week and let me know how it goes for you.

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • Kelwalks4
    Kelwalks4 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi Lostemet!

I started out here, got swamped at work, and let it derail my plan. I am starting again though.I hope that things are going well for you. I could definitely use another beginner to do this with. :smile:
  • Kelwalks4
    Kelwalks4 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    HI Lynne,

I am starting again on trying the Cto5K. I also have arthritis in my knees. I wear wraps to keep them warm while I am exercising and it helps. So ironic that exercise will strengthen surrounding muscles and help relieve my arthritis, but too much will make them hurt and makes it hard to exercise.

I hope that you are keeping with your program!:smile: