Fit Bit

Options
cherylh57
cherylh57 Posts: 8 Member
Good Morning! I'm fairly new to this site and new to this group. But it seemed like the perfect group as I have 50 pounds to lose and I'm almost 55 years old. I ordered a Fit Bit the other day to help me track my activity and keep me motivated. I have used a good pedometer in the past and found it was like a little conscience in my pocket! Wondering about people's experiences with the Fit Bit? Good? Bad? Any tips or hints???
Thanks and I hope you all have a healthy wonderful day!
Cheryl

Replies

• joanneonline
    Options
    Welcome Cheryl! I haven't heard of the Fit Bit. You'll have to let me know what you think.
  • Tobybears
    Options
    I know I am going to sound dumb here but what is a Fit Bit? :embarassed:
  • joanneonline
    Options
    I didn't know what it was either. Then I clicked on the "Tools" tab to see something else, and there it was! It's an activity tracker of sorts. Looks cool. I'd be interested in seeing what people who use it think.
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at them too. Hoping to scrape together the cash to get one. I like that it also tracks your sleep.
  • Tobybears
    Options
    Does this count right? I have had some pedometers and whenever I hit a bump when I was driving it would add steps to my counter. I would love to find one that REALLY only counts the steps that my feet make, not every movement.
  • cherylh57
    cherylh57 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! Thanks for the welcome. Sorry I didn't explain it well. The Fit Bit is like a pedometer except that it is actually a motion detector so it tracks movement not just steps. I read a bunch of reviews that were very positive. The downside is the price tag but I'm hoping its worth it. I pick it up tomorrow night at the post office so I will let you know. Yes, you can also wear it to bed and it will give you reports on how well you slept etc. Basically it records data and then the data is transmitted to the computer. From what I read it can upload to Fitnesspal into the exercise log. Not sure how this works but stay tuned! I'll give you an update.
  • joanneonline
    Options
    Hey Cheryl - After researching the Fit Bit, I decided to get one. I got it 2 days ago and so far am loving it! I find myself taking the stairs more at work and looking for reasons to get up and walk around so I can burn those calories - great motivation!

Did you get yours? What do you think?
  • Lululagrand
    Lululagrand Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am curious about the Fit Bot. First I heard of it.
  • joanneonline
    Options
    It's under the Tools tab. Check it out.
  • IamProudofMe
    IamProudofMe Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I got a bonus at work Friday. Stopped at the mall and a beautiful Coach bag caught me eye. Texted my best friend and cousin and they said go for it. But it didn't! I ordered a Fit Bit instead! Although I did spend extra for expedited shipping! I'm a techno geek so cant wait to try it out and compare notes with Cherylh57 and joanneonline and anyone else who bought one.

Joanne- you said you got yours already. Any tips yet?

Barbara (aka 2Bzfitby52 - which only gives me 71 days!) :noway:
  • skinnychickadee
    skinnychickadee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have ordered the fitbit also but being in Canada I have to wait 2 - 4 wks. I also read all the reviews and it sounds great for me. Surprised that more people are not aware of it and already using it.
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    I hadn't looked at it before - let me know how you like it, it might be in my future :)
  • joanneonline
    Options
    I'm loving it. I typically wear mine in the front of my bra (it's only about the size of a small thumb drive). It really motivates me to get up and move away from my desk during the day.

One lesson-learned, after my workout one morning, I synched my FitBit in the docking station at the same time I entered my workout on MFP - it reported my workout calories burned way too high because FitBit and MFP adjustment hadn't completely synched. Bottom line - I leaned to add my workout in MFP, then synch my Fit Bit in the docking station. You'll understand better once you get it.

I also have to learn how to record my sleep hours.
  • IamProudofMe
    IamProudofMe Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Well I got my FitBit on Feb 1st and I love it. Found myself taking the stars more to real by daily "stair" goal. I parked farther away and visit co-workers rather than calling to reach my daily "steps taken" goal. I tracked my sleep and how all of my efforts made me feel for the day. It really motivated me to be accountable.

Then Friday i forgot to wear it. I took the elevator. I by-passed the gym at work because I was "too tired" from a long week at work. I spiraled into the weekend and continued to not wear it and not monitor my food and exercise (which would have been lots of red in nutrition and zero in exercise). Psychological? Maybe. But whatever it is, it motivated me and tomorrows a brand new day to get back on track!!
  • crazylizz
    crazylizz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I asked for one for my birthday, can't wait to get it.