Sore After Workouts?

Options
Starting a daily routine with proper nutrition and strength training is a difficult task to conquer in itself, add sore muscles to it and it takes a very strong willed person to work through it and trudge forward. This week I hope to give a general explanation about why our muscles are sore, how to minimize and soothe post-workout muscle soreness.

As we train, carbohydrates are broken down for energy and produce lactic acid. The more carbohydrates used and the faster glucose and glycogen are broken down as fuel, the more lactic acid you produce. Lactic acid has been named as the culprit for muscle soreness; however, that’s not the case.

Muscle fibers are stretched and torn which leads to inflammation while we train. Training causes microscopic tears if the muscle tissue, while the inflammation is what causes muscle "soreness", usually rearing its head 24-48 hours post workout. Although “tears” and inflammation sound harmful, they aren’t, actually the repetitive damage and repair cycle is what is going to make your muscles grow and become stronger. It is important to consider that mild muscle soreness after a workout is normal, however, if you experience sharp pain during or immediately after you train you may have a serious injury.

Try the following to minimize your soreness after a grueling workout:
• WARM UP This will prepare your muscles and joints for proper exercise movements by increasing the circulation and improving your range of motion. Examples of a warm up would be to walk on treadmill for 5 minutes and if training upper body do a set of pushups, if training lower body try 10 lunges before beginning.
• HYDRATION Be sure to drink plenty of water before and during your workouts. More water and minerals are lost during a strenuous workout than we can naturally replace. Therefore proper hydration is necessary.
• COOL DOWN You can perform the same regimen as you warm up. During the cool down routine blood will properly redistribute itself to the heart bringing the heart rate and breathing back to normal.

A few tips to soothe soreness:
• ALTERNATING HOT & COLD TREATMENT This tends to be the most recognized treatment for post workout soreness. The cold temperature constricts the blood vessels aiding in reduction of muscle swelling, while the heat will increase circulation and aid in your muscles repair and recovery.
• SOAK IN EPSOM SALT One of Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate) baths many benefits is aiding in the reduction of inflammation and relieving pain. While soaking in Epsom Salt, your body absorbs the magnesium and the sulfates through your skin. Increasing your body's magnesium levels can improve circulation and ease muscle pain while the sulfates aid in forming joint proteins and detoxifying your body.
• MASSAGE It’s been said that a Foam Roller as a poor man’s massage therapist. Use a foam roller as a type of soft tissue therapy to reduce soreness and stiffness by applying your own body weight to the muscles, tendons and tissue to be stretched and relaxed working through pressure points. This will aid in improvement of blood flow while strengthening your muscles.
• SUPPLEMENTATION Branch chained amino acids, otherwise known as BCAA, aid in reducing muscle soreness along with muscle repair and recovery.

Replies

• ronadams52
    ronadams52 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Coudn't have said it any better myself!
  • InstructorLeake
    Options
    Coudn't have said it any better myself!

Thanks, just sharing information I find.
  • jyotinaik
    jyotinaik Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Why doesn't this program credit any calories for strength training? I know I'm burning calories when my heart is racing and I'm breathing heavy. Yet it credits you for sit-ups and slow walking which don't even make me breathe heavy
  • pandasand
    pandasand Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Why doesn't this program credit any calories for strength training? I know I'm burning calories when my heart is racing and I'm breathing heavy. Yet it credits you for sit-ups and slow walking which don't even make me breathe heavy

Log it as "strength training" under the cardio exercises. It's not very accurate though. You'll need a HRM to be accurate.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Love foam rollers!:smile:
  • jyotinaik
    jyotinaik Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Log it as "strength training" under the cardio exercises. It's not very accurate though. You'll need a HRM to be accurate.
    I did log it under strength training. Doesn't give any calorie deficits at all