Activity Two: Awareness - Is it an addiction?

Options
The second activity this week comes again from a free ebook by a doctor that works on emotional eating (available at skrinkyourself.com).

Please post answers to the bellow questions

Questions
1. Try to pinpoint the times when you were tempted to break your diet or overeat. What were the main causes? Were you anxious or angry? How about depressed or stressed? If you do eat during these times, how specifi- cally did it make you feel? Content or safe? Numb or detached? How many distinct patterns can you identify?

2. Beside emotional eating patterns, what evidence for food addiction can you find in your life? Your weight might be one piece of evidence, but there is probably more if you think about it. Try to think of at least a few things besides your weight that show food addiction plays a major part in your life.

Hint: In what ways have you acted in the past that might seem strange to someone who didn’t suffer from food addiction?

3. You undoubtedly have positive motivations to lose weight. What are these positive motivations? Try describing what you would feel like if you reached your target weight. After you’re done, ask yourself why these motivations aren’t strong enough to carry you to success?

Replies

• thenance007
    thenance007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My emotional eating almost always happens after 7 pm. It is much worse when I'm watching tv than if I'm not. I do think that advertisers somehow still use subliminal triggers. I believe it is boredom but I'm open to the possibility that it is loneliness. I don't allow myself to ever admit that I'm lonely (and actually am not aware of feeling lonely) because that somehow would mean there is something wrong with me and people would pity me, which I couldn't stand. I think that my fear of relationships (I have always been attracted to men who "need fixing", so they haven't been healthy relationships) is so strong that being alone seems like a better choice. The one time I successfully released the weight and men found me attractive, it seemed to be all about sex instead of love, and I think I put it back on to protect myself and out of disappointment that "thin doesn't mean happy".

For years, I had been something of a survivalist, storing food and other essentials "just in case". After releasing my fear of starving with "The Healing Codes" work, I suddenly lost all interest in that and have begun using and giving away my stored food. What I thought was being prudent turned out to be just another symptom of my addiction.

I now focus on getting healthy as my main motivator--I want to feel energetic and be able to bend over and tie my shoes without getting breathless. After 2 months of exercise and 14 lbs. shed, I have much more energy and can tie my shoes easily, so my motivation is waning and I need to find better long term motivators. I know that I feel better about myself when I look better. But I don't want to mistake thin for happy again and although I've overcome my attraction to men who need fixing, I don't trust myself to make better choices. I look at men whom I used to be attracted to and go "what was I thinking!" but haven't actually been attracted to anyone since. So there is still something there stopping me.
  • 65jmh
    65jmh Posts: 9
    Options
    Wow! So much of what you shared I can relate to in so many ways. I just realized while reading your post that loneliness, boredom, self-pity, and insecurity are the emotional issues I use to run to food. Honestly, I am a Christian and I thought that I turned to God in everything and why would I feel these feelings if I have such a loving Father. The truth is that I am not trusting in His goodness for ME. I think that what you said about going to people who need fixing is a symptom of wanting to heal yourself. I did the exact same thing. It is so much easier to help others because it makes us feel good about ourselves. Sadly, it can bring some pretty broken people into our lives. I am hurting inside because I want people to treat me with love and respect and want people to care about me not because I did something for them but because of who I am. After reading your post I realized that I need to love myself, care about myself, and respect myself enough to exercise and eat healthy. I think I just found a long term motivation. Thank you so much for sharing your story.
  • roojyrooroo
    roojyrooroo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    1. Try to pinpoint the times when you were tempted to break your diet or overeat. What were the main causes? Were you anxious or angry? How about depressed or stressed? If you do eat during these times, how specifically did it make you feel? Content or safe? Numb or detached? How many distinct patterns can you identify?

When I feel in a low mood or have anxiety I will plan to pick myself up by having a wonderful dinner that night. I will buy everything I love in quantities that could feed a family, and I will eat it all by myself. I will finish everything off. I must eat about 6000 calories on these nights, and unfortunately this has become a common habit. When I go away for a week and am busy with others I lose a few kilos because I do not have the space to do this behaviour.

I never overeat in public. It is not that I am embarrassed. I just never want to. I keep it as my treat form myself in the evenings. My little self-medication to make myself feel good. If I go out for dinner with friends I will eat normally and then go home and eat 3-4 times that again before going to sleep.

I feel uncomfortable in the evenings if I go to bed without a feeling of fullness in my stomach. I no longer feel anxious. Rather I feel numb, detached.

2. Beside emotional eating patterns, what evidence for food addiction can you find in your life? Your weight might be one piece of evidence, but there is probably more if you think about it. Try to think of at least a few things besides your weight that show food addiction plays a major part in your life.

Hint: In what ways have you acted in the past that might seem strange to someone who didn’t suffer from food addiction?

I stay up to 3-4am in the morning because I don’t feel satisfied and I don’t want to sleep.

3. You undoubtedly have positive motivations to lose weight. What are these positive motivations? Try describing what you would feel like if you reached your target weight. After you’re done, ask yourself why these motivations aren’t strong enough to carry you to success?

My sex life is a big motivation. I don’t feel attractive naked. When I have been slimmer I have enjoyed sex a lot but now I feel uncomfortable.

I would love to be able to wear any clothes and feel confident in how I look wearing them.

But mostly I would like to be in control of my own behaviors and treat myself well by not hurting myself with food.

Basically I need a new attitude towards food. I have always used it to make myself feel better. A self-medication. It is like an addiction because it changes my bio-chemistry to make me feel grounded and good. I need to stop using food like that. Food needs to be about nurturing my body, not my emotions. My emotions require different nurturing and I want to use things other than food to show myself love.
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    Questions

1. Try to pinpoint the times when you were tempted to break your diet or overeat. What were the main causes? Were you anxious or angry? How about depressed or stressed? If you do eat during these times, how specifi- cally did it make you feel? Content or safe? Numb or detached? How many distinct patterns can you identify?

I find thats its evening and boredom sets in or i realise at night i have only had 1200 cals and i feel instantly hungry. if i eat anything extra i feel like rubbish and a huge failure and i have lost weight before but i have never been this weight and it scares me as i near 16st and i fear for my own health in the long run so i know i need to get this under control.

i do all sorts of things like hide food i have eaten from my partner and he wonders how i have gotten to the size i am.........

i want to inspire my daughter into a healthy lifestyle and i want to make myself happy within me and not think everyone looks at me as though i am massive - which i know i am.
  • dnpi
    dnpi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    1. Try to pinpoint the times when you were tempted to break your diet or overeat. What were the main causes? Were you anxious or angry? How about depressed or stressed? If you do eat during these times, how specifically did it make you feel? Content or safe? Numb or detached? How many distinct patterns can you identify?

I was definitely anxious and stressed. It made me feel content while i was eating but after i stop and think about how much i really ate, I end up feeling depressed/guilty. I tell myself that I was meant to be fat and eat some more and end up feeling even more guilty. I remain depressed the whole day and I eventually bounce back to my normal self the next day but the cycle repeats itself every few days.

I always over-eat when I am alone. When I am with am friends or family, I always eat the right amounts or sometimes even less if i binged a little while ago and am still feeling bad about it. I always eat healthy in front of them and most wonder why I don't shed the last few pounds.

I want to be healthy and stay healthy. I, most importantly, want to have a healthy relationship with food. If i reach my target weight, I would feel confident and proud of myself. These motivations aren't strong enough because I always get insecure and lose my confidence and tell myself that i am meant to stay the way i am. I feel heavy and start to think that losing weight is impossible. I make all sorts of excuses. I would love to reach my target weight and get rid of my habit.
  • brunsda
    Options
    Questions

I do overeat when stressed. It usually is not healthy food only. when the stress is really high I opt for sugary foods to try and change the way I feel. Depressed feelings usually lead to creamy texture foods such as ice cream or mashed potatoes.

The feeling that I absolutley have to have a certain food. I want it now too! Buying a snickers bar at the checkout stand so I can have one in my purse "just in case I need it". Hiding food.

Health problems I am experiencing because of the excess weight. I am an only parent. Feeling better and moving easier.
  • imsmellie
    imsmellie Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Emotions: Stress, lonely or bored, empty, anxious, overwhelmed, exhausted, busy, sad
    Feelings while eating or just after a binge: Subdued, surreal clarity, warm, calm.
    I think that eating has a way of changing my busy anxious mind to one consistent thought.. full. When I binge, I am putting out a fire. Between school, home, work, family, moving, fitness, etc., my brain and body feel like a crazy prairie fire. My heart beats fast, I walk fast, I talk fast, I think fast. When I eat, I eat to slow those feelings down. It's this coping mechanism to just put my body into a rest and digest mode rather than its constant fight or flight mode.

2. Beside emotional eating patterns, what evidence for food addiction can you find in your life? Your weight might be one piece of evidence, but there is probably more if you think about it. Try to think of at least a few things besides your weight that show food addiction plays a major part in your life. Hint: In what ways have you acted in the past that might seem strange to someone who didn’t suffer from food addiction?

Hiding. I am outstanding at hiding how much has been eaten in the house. I've been known to eat my roommate's food and go out and replace it exactly how it was. If that doesn't mimic a drug addiction, I don't know what else would.

That's a tough set of questions.
    My positive motivation: to be better, to get better..this isn't about losing weight for me. I'm average and I am proud of my body. I don't look in the mirror and hate the way I look. I don't look in the mirror and see that I have to lose weight. I just want to be able to go through a day where my most content time isn't after eating 6000kcalories. I know that running, yoga, going for a bike ride.... activities that make me sweat or breathe (just like binging) make me feel better and healthier. It's hard to see that when it's so easy to reach for a gallon of ice cream.
  • susiefb42
    susiefb42 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Questions

Main causes: anxiety/apprehension, worry, boredom, or when I think someone is mad at me
    How did it make me feel to eat: numb, the process of eating itself gave me something "positive" to focus on

2. Beside emotional eating patterns, what evidence for food addiction can you find in your life? Your weight might be one piece of evidence, but there is probably more if you think about it. Try to think of at least a few things besides your weight that show food addiction plays a major part in your life. Hint: In what ways have you acted in the past that might seem strange to someone who didn’t suffer from food addiction?

Unhealthy Eating Patterns: secret eating, hiding sweets, eating until I have a stomach ache

Positive Motivations: to be healthy, to fit into cute outfits, to avoid getting diabetes like others in my family have
    These are all long term motivations, but don't have a lot of short term punch when I'm facing stresses

Susie
  • HealthyLivingKathy
    HealthyLivingKathy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Please post answers to the bellow questions

Questions

Tired, sore, a bit depressed. Yesterday, I ate some, still under calories for day. Felt disappointed in myself. Wanted more. Actually didn't help me at all. Still felt the same yesterday and today.

Weight, hiding food, closet eating, Eating at night. Going to grocery to just buy junk food and nothing healthy.

Reverse type 2 diabetes, neuropathy. To be healthy and live longer. I would feel successful and even more so a year after keeping it off. Not strong enough due to fear of failing, fear of not keeping it off permanently causing embarrassment.
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Questions

Sometimes its because of impulsivity,
    Seeing something super delisih on tv,So that cause would be watcing too much tv, as every other commercial is about food

Sometimes because of a stressful situation that had happened or something im concerned about which is coming up coming up.So worry or stress,

Sometimes because i am upset or sad or ashamed.

When I overeat when stressed think it does relax me. It unwinds me. so it might make me feel safer
    When I eat when depressed or worried it makes me feel much better, but for only very short while -just the 3 minutes or so it takes me to eat it!! so I guess it makes me feel somewhat numb and detached.

My portion sizes. The fact that i talk about it alot, plan stuff and do it more when others are NOT around. I eat much less when there's company around.

My motivations are:
    to make me feel and look better.
    To raise my self esteem.
    To prevent disease and promote wellness. and hopefully longevity.
    To find more work, especially in my field, which is health.
    For my wonderful husband to be even prouder of me
    FOR maybe better or more sex!WITH MY HUSBAND OF COURSE!
    To be able to find and wear cuter clothes and look better in them.
    Be a good example
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Try describing what you would feel like if you reached your target weight. After you’re done, ask yourself why these motivations aren’t strong enough to carry you to success?

When i reach my target weight i would feel both happy and proud..I would feel good about myself and have alot more energy and confidemce.

These motivations arent enough i suppose because perhaps on some level I feel like i dont deserve to feel good or because i dont have the habits developed yet for success, that im still struggling and although im motivated im also addicted and perhaps give in to more of a temporary fix.Short term vs long term. Perhaps im too eager and want results faster
  • viola343
    viola343 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Questions

stress..emotion of happyness...."cheat day syndrom." or the everybody is doing it atitude. I would be angry, depressed and scared....it made me even more angry, detached and self-loathe...i can't even look at myself right now.

excercising rigoursly, buying food everyday, checking weight everyday...addicted to eating a certain food or at a certain time...not allowing myself.

Hint: In what ways have you acted in the past that might seem strange to someone who didn’t suffer from food addiction?...I've picked at food, made my own food, and has not been mentally there.

I feel good about myself
    i will have a sense of control
    i wouldn't fear food
  • viola343
    viola343 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    To me its no longer about losing and gaining weight...its about the binge eating(its disgusting)...sometimes your diet can backfire and it turns into binge eating....I will get help for this so that yes i can have a healthier relatinship with food.