Body Changes - not just waistline...

Options
Like many of you, I am battling this peri-menopausal front with guns a-blazin'....Thanks so much for posting about your experiences.

I turned 50 last November.

In hindsight, I realise I have been perimenopausal for about 5 years but in the last 4 months things have really become 'torrid' as my GP described it...all the main symptoms....plus a few I haven't seen much about - eg:

1. Breast size increase - I've yo-yo'd between 65-68kgs (I'm 5'5") for the last 5 years but I've always worn the same style and size bra cup (D)...for some reason now I need a DD...and even that is probably too small...bulges/'overflow' all over!!! I feel like a puffed-up pigeon! I've cranked up to daily runs (40 mins) + am religiously doing 30 day shred, counting calories, eating 'clean' foods and have completely cut out coffee and alcohol - which has significantly reduced breast tenderness...but not size.

2. Weird sense of smell - I often 'smell' cigarette smoke...for no apparent reason!? No one in our house smokes...and I work mainly from home. Also my neighbourhood has gone almost completely 'smoke free' in public areas, so I am really not very exposed to smokers. Bizaare.

Anyone know anything about these little 'gems' and links to perimenopause???

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Like many of you, I am battling this peri-menopausal front with guns a-blazin'....Thanks so much for posting about your experiences.

I turned 50 last November.

In hindsight, I realise I have been perimenopausal for about 5 years but in the last 4 months things have really become 'torrid' as my GP described it...all the main symptoms....plus a few I haven't seen much about - eg:

1. Breast size increase - I've yo-yo'd between 65-68kgs (I'm 5'5") for the last 5 years but I've always worn the same style and size bra cup (D)...for some reason now I need a DD...and even that is probably too small...bulges/'overflow' all over!!! I feel like a puffed-up pigeon! I've cranked up to daily runs (40 mins) + am religiously doing 30 day shred, counting calories, eating 'clean' foods and have completely cut out coffee and alcohol - which has significantly reduced breast tenderness...but not size.

2. Weird sense of smell - I often 'smell' cigarette smoke...for no apparent reason!? No one in our house smokes...and I work mainly from home. Also my neighbourhood has gone almost completely 'smoke free' in public areas, so I am really not very exposed to smokers. Bizaare.

Anyone know anything about these little 'gems' and links to perimenopause???

That's intriguing regarding the smell!!

Have you told the doctor about that one? If so, what did he or she say?
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I always sensitive about the smell but now I don't like the smell of something, I would threw up if I don't get out of there
    and the last time, I feel like choking.
    I agreed that you should talke to your doctor about cig smell. It may has something to do with your brain.
  • Annec0911
    Options
    Thanks Firedragon and DecemberChild. Will mention the odd smoke smell at next Dr appt.
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I can find some smells nauseating at different times and find them OK just a few hours later.

I also can smell smoke, a burning smell, at odd times and usually in the most inappropriate places.

Definitely haven't noticed my chest get any larger, just my luck :laugh:
  • Annec0911
    Options
    Hi Gosser - glad to hear I am not the only person with a weird sense of smell! I've only noticed the smoke smell in the last couple years...will post if / when I find some information on what this might be...and if it has any link to perimenopause.

As for increased chest size...trust me, you do not want what I have...I've returned to sewing my own clothes in the last year or so, cos I need tops with size 10 shoulders but size 14-16 chest...It's a good creatvie outlet and I can 'disguise' this irritating perimenopausal plump :grumble:
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    My monthlles have changed. Dec and Jan they were a week late, Feb came on time, this week I had choc cravings the last 2 days again and really bad back pain and today I'm 4lbs heavier than 2 days ago and I know I haven't eaten 14,000 calories in the last 2 days! It has to be water retention! I haven't even got any choc in the house until my food shop comes this afternoon. They aren't due to even start these symptoms until next week and due to actually start the week after!

They have been getting lighter from the beginning of last year and don't last as long, used to be a full week with severe cramps for the first 3-4, now its 4 days total and only the first day is bad really. The water has been on and off then they started, the 2 months they were late, cos I thought they weren't coming as the water had gone back off again! so 2 weeks out of 4 I had bloat, water retention and cravings!

Mine always used to be regular so I guess this is the beginning of them been irregular. I had one month when they had finished then day later came back for a day! Weird!

My boobs have shrunk from a 40 to a 38!
  • crazylizz
    crazylizz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to see the smoke smell as I thought I was losing my mind.
    I have mentioned it to my doctor an internist who is very thorough and he basically said, interesting.
    I am a nurse and have researched it and it is not that odd actually. I have narrowed mine down to dryer sheets. There is something in the chemicals that trigger that smell. If I am not around them for weeks no smoke smell, around them smoke smell returns for weeks. It is also exacerbated when Ia m really stressed. ~Just thought I would share.
  • fit443
    fit443 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Now THAT was an informative thread, ladies - thanks!
    No smoke smells yet (that aren't real - my townhouse "leaks" on occasion during football season)

Trying a "hormone balancing water" recipe this week. Maybe worth a try?

juice of 1/2 to 1 whole organic lemon
    1 inch slice of fresh ginger, sliced
    pinch of cayenne pepper
    1 litre of water (says reverse-osmosis)

From the super-charged hormone diet book by Natasha Turner, a naturopathic doctor.

She recommends drinking 2 L a day (gulp!)

It's supposed to "increase metabolism, lower insulin, support digestion and improve liver function."

I figured it's a good place to start.
  • Annec0911
    Options
    Hi Crazylizz....my dr had a similar response to my reports of smelling smoke....hmmm

I also notice it more when I am stressed....

Will let you know if I learn more...
  • Annec0911
    Options
    Fit443...
    Let us know how you go with it
  • Annec0911
    Options
    Shakybabe....your description sounds very familiar....except for shrinking chest....

After a really rotten 5 weeks of sleeplessess, very tender breasts, lethargy, blues and lack of weight loss, I feel as if someone has flicked a switch and I'm back to my usual energetic self....this last week has been much better, with a "period" of sorts....(minimal bleeding)...

I'm freaked about sinking back into the gloom again.

But for now am making up for sluggishness and enjoying some downward scale movement at last! This has also coincided with a more honest look at what I am consuming/ burning (thanks DecemberChild).... Purchased a new digital scale and HRM....and focussed on keeping cals closer to 1200, rather than eating all exercise cals back. I eat some back...but not all. I've always known that the calorie burn amount on sites like this and on machines is higher than I really burn, but it really is quite a bit higher for me....eg 45 min run at 5 mph = 405 according to MFP. But only 346 according to today's HRM reading....I previously have been eating back all my cals based on MFP estimates... So actually eating a lot more than I should in order to lose.
    Investment in a good digital scale and HRM is well worth it for me.

A friend lent me the Suzanne Somers book on bio identical hormones, titled "Ageless"...,
    I will read back thorough previous posts here, but has anyone tried or investigated these?
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have had the chest problems too- I hate wearing bras because nothing feels comfortable but I can't go without because I am too big! I went through a spell of smelling smoke too- I would hunt all through the house thinking maybe one of my kids was hiding and having a cigarette but they weren't even home. I live in town houses so I finally decided maybe the neighbour had a smoking guest and it was somehow creeping through the walls- but maybe it wasn't!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Did anybody find out what the smoke smell was in the end?

It is very intriguing!!
  • kardeamad
    Options
    I have the smoke smell too :noway:

I thought it was because I had stopped smoking - driving me potty and I am now experiencing cigarette cravings for the first time in months :frown:
  • Annec0911
    Options
    I googled " phantom smoke smell" .....seems this is fairly common....lots of varying thoughts on the causes...I get sinus headaches fairly frequently, 2 or 3 a month, which last exactly 48 hrs ( I swear I can set my watch by them...the feeling of the pain subsiding is such a relief).... Stress is also a cause....as are some more dire options (tumors)

Many report using a neti pot helps a lot....sounds gross but I am going to investigate....
  • Annec0911
    Options
    Kardemad - Congrats on quitting smoking!

Perhaps some of your smell receptors are regenerating??

I really don't know....
  • kardeamad
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you

Third time lucky for me.

Smell & taste regenerating so perhaps. Dont know why it would be in the house though as we have just moved in, previous people were non smokers too.

One of lifes little mysteries :smile:
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Have any of you heard of or tried Puriance for women?

http://puriance.co.uk/how_works_women.html

It's meant to be a supplement that helps balance your levels of Estrogen and Cortisol to control cravings and contains green tea to boost metabolism?

I'm considering it as I've started getting 2 periods a month so cravings are lasting nearly 2 weeks and bloat in total through month. Woke up at 6am with chocolate cravings and had brownie for breakfast then oats to try and fill me up and stop me snacking all day!

Craving cheese on toast for lunch and chips for dinner! .. I might give in to them for today and just exercise more to compensate. I got some slim fast (chocolate flavour too to help satisfy cravings) arriving today or tomorrow hopefully, and hoping to be able to stick to it for at least a week! .. could really do with some extra help to control the cravings if my monthlies are going to be more irregular and more frequent or I'm never gonna keep the weight off through menopause! :sad: