Detroit Marathon

Options
Have any of you done this one? I have done the Country Music Marathon twice and I am interested in broading my marathon horizons. This one intrigues me because it goes into Canada via the Ambassador bridge and comes back via the underwater tunnel. Just wondered if anyone has done this one and what did you think of the course and crowd support etc..

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I've not done that one yet, but I do have my eye on it. Just not easy for me to swing the logistics from the West Coast.

marathonguide.com is probably your best source for race reviews
  • malenahan
    malenahan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has done it and said it was a great marathon. He has family in Detroit so that may have swayed his opinion of the marathon. :)

If you're in the midwest, I suggest the Champaign Marathon or St. Louis Rock and Roll Marathon. Both were excellent in my opinion.
  • malenahan
    malenahan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have my eye on some West Coast marathons...Hopefully one of these days I'll get there.
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has done it and said it was a great marathon. He has family in Detroit so that may have swayed his opinion of the marathon. :)

If you're in the midwest, I suggest the Champaign Marathon or St. Louis Rock and Roll Marathon. Both were excellent in my opinion.
    I am in the Southeast. I have lots of marathons I am interested in all over the US. I have family in the Detroit area so lodging would be a snap.
  • lilsmiley11122
    lilsmiley11122 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Have not done that one, but I use the events page on runnersworld.com to scope out new races, they have lots of reviews from past runners over recent years. Good luck!
  • zemli
    zemli Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm from Detroit and have done the half several times. It's a good race. I would recommend it. Visually, it's one of the most interesting races I have participated in. You go through downtown, run down industrial parts of town on the way to the bridge, the sun rise over the bridge is a sight not to be missed, Canada is nice and the view of Detroit is pretty, the tunnel is a double edge sword. One hand, you are running under water. On the other, there is NO air flow. It's only a mile. Then it's neighborhoods, Belle Isle and more.

They have improved their stations throughout the race and the at the end of the race too over the years.

I'll be there this year doing the half. The Chicago is the weekend before. I can't do two fulls in a week. :)
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The Detroit Marathon will be my first full marathon this year! There are two half marathons this year (a Detroit only and an International half) Can't wait!