HRM: To use or not to use?

amccord2
amccord2 Posts: 363 Member
I am wondering how important it is to use a heart rate monitor, and if there is a "better" brand to purchase. Do you feel that you get accurate calorie burns just using the MFP calculations? Do you feel that a HRM is the best way to go? Has anyone had success with the "watch" type, without the chest band? Thanks!

Replies

• ronitabur
    ronitabur Posts: 178 Member
    I use an HRM. I love it, but I use one with a chest strap. It doesn't feel any different than a bra strap - I find it to be very comfortable. Mine is a Polar brand, and I made sure that I bought one that counts calories - not all of them do. MFP's calorie counts are VERY wrong. I'm sure that even the HRM is not truly accurate, but at least it is consistent and you get to know how much to adjust.

You have to remember that you'd already be burning about 100 calories per hour, so if your HRM says that you burned 400 calories during a 1 hour workout, you don't want to eat an extra 400 calories. I cut off at least 100 calories from what the HRM says that I burned for every hour that I work out. Make sense?

Also, it's a good personal motivator. There are days that I'm just not into my workout and I'm thinking about other things, I'll look down at my HRM watch and see that I'm barely at the bottom of my target heart rate. So, I'll then force myself to kick it up a notch. It just helps keep me on my toes.

My step daughter has a Garmin, which also has a GPS in it and she loves it. If you are into running, this might be the right one for you. If not, the Polar might be the way to go. The folks on The Biggest Loser use BodyBugg, but I don't have any personal experience. One thing you'll notice when you go to buy one is, you'll see 6-8 models for each brand, all of varying prices. Of course they have different features and the more features, the more expensive. Of course, the calories counters aren't included an them until you starting hitting around $90-$100. :(

I hope this helps. I feel naked without my HRM when I work out, so I guess you can say that I love it.
  • amccord2
    Thanks for the input! I did start subtracting 100/hr from the HRM output. So, I may see how it goes before I spend more. Right now, I use the Sportline brand. I think it is working fairly well right now. We'll see. Add your name to the spreadsheet for the challenge, and welcome to the group!
    I use an HRM. I love it, but I use one with a chest strap. It doesn't feel any different than a bra strap - I find it to be very comfortable. Mine is a Polar brand, and I made sure that I bought one that counts calories - not all of them do. MFP's calorie counts are VERY wrong. I'm sure that even the HRM is not truly accurate, but at least it is consistent and you get to know how much to adjust.

You have to remember that you'd already be burning about 100 calories per hour, so if your HRM says that you burned 400 calories during a 1 hour workout, you don't want to eat an extra 400 calories. I cut off at least 100 calories from what the HRM says that I burned for every hour that I work out. Make sense?

Also, it's a good personal motivator. There are days that I'm just not into my workout and I'm thinking about other things, I'll look down at my HRM watch and see that I'm barely at the bottom of my target heart rate. So, I'll then force myself to kick it up a notch. It just helps keep me on my toes.

My step daughter has a Garmin, which also has a GPS in it and she loves it. If you are into running, this might be the right one for you. If not, the Polar might be the way to go. The folks on The Biggest Loser use BodyBugg, but I don't have any personal experience. One thing you'll notice when you go to buy one is, you'll see 6-8 models for each brand, all of varying prices. Of course they have different features and the more features, the more expensive. Of course, the calories counters aren't included an them until you starting hitting around $90-$100. :(

I hope this helps. I feel naked without my HRM when I work out, so I guess you can say that I love it.
  • annasgyal
    annasgyal Posts: 1,687 Member
    I plan on using my HRM. I use my HRM for every workout that I do, and this will be no different. For some reason with this workout, I do not expect high calorie burns, but I know that I will be burning calories long after the workout is done. Will see how it goes.
  • I use a heart rate monitor with a chest strap polar ft4.
  • niqua215
    niqua215 Posts: 283 Member
    I have the Polar FT40F. Curious to see what the calorie burn is. I know it won't be a high number especially in week 1.
  • amccord2
    I plan on using my HRM. I use my HRM for every workout that I do, and this will be no different. For some reason with this workout, I do not expect high calorie burns, but I know that I will be burning calories long after the workout is done. Will see how it goes.

You will be surprised of the calories you will burn with LMP, in just 30 minutes!
  • nursegnet
    nursegnet Posts: 155 Member
    Thank you for posting this.
  • nursegnet
    I just ordered a Heart Rate Monitor. I went with Polar ft4 after reading reviews from this site. I can't wait to compare the results with my GoWear device aka bodymedia.
  • amccord2
    I just ordered a Heart Rate Monitor. I went with Polar ft4 after reading reviews from this site. I can't wait to compare the results with my GoWear device aka bodymedia.

I am interested in the comparison also. I have a sportline (watch type). However, I believe it is pretty accurate once I subtract my resting calories from it.
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 257 Member
    I love my HRM. It is totally motivating! I love watching the calories adding up. It also makes me push harder, because I want to see a higher number when I'm done with my workout. I have heard good things about the Polar FT4, but I couldn't afford that one. I got a Sigma PC 9 from Amazon for like $45. It has a chest strap & watch & counts calories. Now that I have my HRM, I will never go without it. I think that MFP way over calculates your calorie burn. One thing I've noticed though with LMP is that I don't burn as many calories as I thought, because my heart rate isn't all that high (like it is with cardio), BUT I know that strenght training burns more over time and is an awesome way to get the body you want. I love the saying, "cardio is good for your health, but lifting weights makes you look good naked!"
  • amccord2
    I love my HRM. It is totally motivating! I love watching the calories adding up. It also makes me push harder, because I want to see a higher number when I'm done with my workout. I have heard good things about the Polar FT4, but I couldn't afford that one. I got a Sigma PC 9 from Amazon for like $45. It has a chest strap & watch & counts calories. Now that I have my HRM, I will never go without it. I think that MFP way over calculates your calorie burn. One thing I've noticed though with LMP is that I don't burn as many calories as I thought, because my heart rate isn't all that high (like it is with cardio), BUT I know that strenght training burns more over time and is an awesome way to get the body you want. I love the saying, "cardio is good for your health, but lifting weights makes you look good naked!"

LIKE!
  • Runningchick11
    Runningchick11 Posts: 53 Member
    I started looking at heart monitors and noticed they now have ones that also have GPS, that can monitor your distance and average pace. Does anyone have a GPS one? I don't think it's too necessary since my main reason is for body pump, but I also run so maybe it would be good for that too?
  • nursegnet
    Results from my pump & burn workout today.
    My bodymedia said 70 calories.
    Heart rate monitor a whopping 215 calories!
    I can't wait to see the calorie burn for the rest of the pump series.
    Thank you amccord2 for pointing this out to me so I can get a more accurate count.