Hashimoto's and hives

Options
jend114
jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
Anyone else have these issues? The hives were so bad on Friday I had to go to the ER. I can't be on prednisone forever to control them and I'm at a loss of what else to do.

Replies

• JinxRita
    JinxRita Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Do you have any idea what caused them?

I've been getting hives recently, but I've got some general allergies (dust, pollen, kitty dander, etc.) so I thought that I was having just a slightly stronger than normal reaction.
  • seaglass2
    Options
    Oh yes, for years. I went from internists to dermatologists to allergists and finally found a wonderful allergist who helped me.

I was told there were hives, not hives, excema, tested for dermatitus herpetiformus (it is a skin condition primarily from gluten and it manifests as this or celiac disease). I tested negative with blood work and skin biopsy but it is hard to diagnose and sometimes can only be confirmed by a biopsy done during a colonoscopy.

I found a wonderful allergist and was tested and came out negative for the things I suspected I was allergic to. But she put me on an antihistamine xyzal with a combination of zantac (which works on the histamines in your stomach). I also went gluten free and started allergy shots. Over time the "hives" that waxed and waned for years are gone!

Over the years that I suffered with this I took prednisone for relief but they always came back with an even greater vengeance.

Good luck in finding a solution - it's not easy - trial & error. Edited to add that I think it's all linked to my hashimoto's and/or hormone/cortisol levels by intuition not substantiated by anyone in the medical profession
  • jend114
    Options
    Do you have any idea what caused them?

I've been getting hives recently, but I've got some general allergies (dust, pollen, kitty dander, etc.) so I thought that I was having just a slightly stronger than normal reaction.

No idea. I'm thinking its stress(as is my Dr) but I don't feel stressed.
  • geezalawheez
    geezalawheez Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was told there were hives, not hives, excema, tested for dermatitus herpetiformus (it is a skin condition primarily from gluten and it manifests as this or celiac disease). I tested negative with blood work and skin biopsy but it is hard to diagnose and sometimes can only be confirmed by a biopsy done during a colonoscopy.

I have had excema (or what I assumed was excema) on the back of my arms for years. I never saw a doctor for it, but no amount of cleansing, exfoliating, or moisturizing seemed to help. I switched from Levothyroxine to Armour and the bumps went away almost immediately. I assumed it was from the medication, but I also cut out gluten at the same time. I didn't even think of the possibility of it being an allergic reaction.

Thanks for that little bit of info!
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have Hashi, but thank goodness no hives... I think the hives are an autoimmune response -- strongly urge you to remove all gluten from your diet. Gluten in the digestive system can cause leaky gut -- which allows small particles of the food you eat to leak into your system. You end up with antibodies in your bloodstream for the food you eat!

I've also read that having thyroid meds optimized -- ie: getting your TSH levels as low as possible and T3/T4 levels optimized might help.
    I think there are also homeopathic remedies, but sorry, I have no experience with them -- a good Naturopath can probably help you without steroids.
  • jend114
    Options
    I have Hashi, but thank goodness no hives... I think the hives are an autoimmune response -- strongly urge you to remove all gluten from your diet. Gluten in the digestive system can cause leaky gut -- which allows small particles of the food you eat to leak into your system. You end up with antibodies in your bloodstream for the food you eat!

I've also read that having thyroid meds optimized -- ie: getting your TSH levels as low as possible and T3/T4 levels optimized might help.
    I think there are also homeopathic remedies, but sorry, I have no experience with them -- a good Naturopath can probably help you without steroids.

if I had a gluten allergy wouldn't I show other gluten allergy symptoms like loose stools and losing weight? I don't show any of the other symptoms of a gluten allergy.
  • mom2pne
    mom2pne Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I dealt with hives for nearly a year until my doctor had me see an allergist who prescribed allegra. That was the only thing that worked. I would look a lot a Neanderthal from it. Also, it was the allergist that did some blood work that caused me to see an endocrinologist who said that I had hypothyroidism.

I hope they go away soon for you!
  • tecallahan
    Options

if I had a gluten allergy wouldn't I show other gluten allergy symptoms like loose stools and losing weight? I don't show any of the other symptoms of a gluten allergy.

No -- the sensitivity to gluten isn't exactly like an allergy. Gluten is a pasty substance that when in the intestines can stick to the walls of the intestines and cause a "leaky gut" -- so small particles of your digested food can seep into your bloodstream. This causes your body to produce antibodies to get rid of the foreign substance (food) in your blood. The immune response is heightened in your body, causing internal inflammation at the cellular level - that you probably will not feel. Once your immune system is stoked, your hashimoto antibodies can also flare up and launch an attack on your thyroid.

This is a little war going on inside of you --- but probably not something you would notice like an allergy -- it's more subtle than that -- but it is doing long-term damage.

Not everyone is sensitive to gluten, but I decided I didn't want that crap in my body! :grumble:
    Terri
  • Zisrah
    Zisrah Posts: 6
    Options
    No -- the sensitivity to gluten isn't exactly like an allergy. Gluten is a pasty substance that when in the intestines can stick to the walls of the intestines and cause a "leaky gut" -- so small particles of your digested food can seep into your bloodstream. This causes your body to produce antibodies to get rid of the foreign substance (food) in your blood. The immune response is heightened in your body, causing internal inflammation at the cellular level - that you probably will not feel. Once your immune system is stoked, your hashimoto antibodies can also flare up and launch an attack on your thyroid.

This is a little war going on inside of you --- but probably not something you would notice like an allergy -- it's more subtle than that -- but it is doing long-term damage.

Not everyone is sensitive to gluten, but I decided I didn't want that crap in my body! :grumble:
    Terri

Actually, "leaky gut" is something that rarely happens outside of coeliac disease. For those who don't have coeliac, gluten is nothing more than a protein found in grains. It's not toxic, and it's not going to "gunk up your innards", because most people digest it just fine.

Diagnosing someone with gluten sensitivity or coeliac disease is serious business, and something that is best left to doctors, ESPECIALLY because gluten sensitivity may be a symptom of deeper health conditions like ataxia, which will progress regardless of whether or not you continue to consume gluten.
  • loulou0612
    loulou0612 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My son has Hashis' and had respiratory problems and hives (occasionally) until we took him off gluten, Once we took him off he hasn t needed his asthma medication and hasnt had any hives....Good luck
  • tecallahan
    Options
    Actually, "leaky gut" is something that rarely happens outside of coeliac disease. For those who don't have coeliac, gluten is nothing more than a protein found in grains. It's not toxic, and it's not going to "gunk up your innards", because most people digest it just fine.

Diagnosing someone with gluten sensitivity or coeliac disease is serious business, and something that is best left to doctors, ESPECIALLY because gluten sensitivity may be a symptom of deeper health conditions like ataxia, which will progress regardless of whether or not you continue to consume gluten.

You know what? No one is diagnosing anyone with anything on this forum. People ask questions because it's difficult to get doctors to understand and treat your symptoms of hypothyroidism.

This forum is a safe haven for people that want to ask questions and not be judged by others making snarky remarks.
  • Zisrah
    Options
    I'm not being snarky, I'm simply presenting the facts.

It has been fairly conclusively proven that non-glucose diets have no effect on thyroid function, even in persons with coeliac.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22126672
  • tecallahan
    Options
    I'm not being snarky, I'm simply presenting the facts.

It has been fairly conclusively proven that non-glucose diets have no effect on thyroid function, even in persons with coeliac.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22126672

OK - you're not snarky - but you are being closed-minded -- there are plenty of articles and studies that show that Gluten can affect the thyroid and can cause Hashimotos. I do not have celiac disease, but I have antibodies in my blood for wheat, oats and yeast -- how does one get antibodies to food in their blood? By the food leaking from their gut into their bloodstream.

This forum and others like it are to provide information that might help people with thyroid disease and Hashimotos. This forum is not to silence people with so-called medical facts. That's what Endos and GPS do to us all the time. You can find plenty of articles that say that only Synthroid should be used for treating hypothyroidism - even Mayo clinic says it -- so why are so many of us feeling better and getting healthy on Armour? Because we chose to be open-minded about alternatives and we searched for doctors that will treat our symptoms.

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/latestresearch/a/celiac.htm
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/542370-what-is-a-good-diet-for-hashimotos-thyroid-disease-patients/
    http://www.thyroidbook.com/
    http://www.thecrunchypickle.com/2011/03/08/a-hashimotos-thyroiditis-breakthrough-no-gluten/
  • Zisrah
    Options
    Then clearly this forum is not for me. As a biology major, I prefer scientific journals to uncited claims put forth on dubious websites. Thank you for illustrating that my opinions are not welcome here.