Breakfast option

Options
3trees
3trees Posts: 71 Member
In the last month I found a new breakfast option that I really like. Tasty, filling, and fairly low cal. Here's my adaptation. I'll recheck the calorie count, but I think it's 70 cal for one mini quiche. I'd suggest 2 at 140, plus other items to get up to around 300 for breakfast. For me, that's usually a banana and a glass of juice (fast). For the challenge, I'd suggest a small bowl of fruit and maybe some spelt bread toast?

Cheesy Bacon & Egg Cups (adapted from HomeMadeSimple web page)

Makes 12 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes

INGREDIENTS
12 slices TURKEY bacon, cut into halves*
6 eggs plus 6 egg whites
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup diced bell peppers (or mushrooms or onions, but for this we'll use peppers)
1/2 cup low-fat cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat the oven to 350° and spray a 12-cup muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
Place a paper towel on a plate and arrange the bacon in one layer on top. Cover with another paper towel, then microwave for two minutes until almost cooked, but still flexible.
Beat eggs, milk, bell peppers, cheese, salt and peppers until incorporated.
In each muffin cup, place two bacon halves in a crisscross pattern, then fill each with 1/4 cup of the egg mixture.
Place the muffin tin on a baking sheet for easier transport to the oven, then bake for 20-25 minutes or until the eggs are set in the center.
Reheat Tip: Have breakfast or lunch on the go! Refrigerate or freeze leftovers in an airtight container and pop them in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. They’ll keep 2-3 months in the freezer and 5-7 days in the refrigerator.

Replies

• JayPeazy
    JayPeazy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    These are my thoughts on the challenge.

I think that we need to make sure that our menu represents:

1. Must be well balanced. (Protein/Carbs/Fats/Sugar/Fiber/Sodium)
    2. Must be easy for a judge to make.
    3. Must not be over in ANYTHING
    4. Must taste AWESOME!

I am up for anything, but we should really try and adhere to at least these. If there are other thoughts or suggestions, please come forward!

I was thinking also something along the lines of this for a skeletal framework...

Breakfast - 450 calories
    Snack 1 - 100 calories
    Lunch - 400 calories
    Snack 2 - 100 calories
    Dinner - 350 calories

This puts more calories earlier in the day and less before bed. Thoughts...?
  • 3trees
    3trees Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    J,

I think those are all great guidelines.

I prefer a diet that is calorie loaded early in the day, although I tend to make my largest meal be lunch. But I'm flexible. Whatever works best as a complete day.

Sarah/3Trees
  • urbanmasala
    urbanmasala Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Since you guys seem to have taken the ball and run with it, I'm game for whatever you want to do. Just let me know what you need/want from me. To be quite honest, I'm not really feelin' this particular challenge, but it sounds like you guys are off to a great start.
  • MrsFrogLegs
    Options
    Hello Green Team and My White Team Counterparts-

I find this challenge tough. I don't do a lot of meals. Let alone meals based on guidelines/calories. I have cereal for breakfast with skim milk and fruit, lunch I have a sandwich with "chips", and dinner whatever my husband makes in moderation. I hoard my calories for later in the day because I tend to want to eat at night.

With that said....I am game to do anything anyone needs. Just let me know! I want to participate!

MrsFrogLegs
  • LessOfMePlease
    LessOfMePlease Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I also tend to save my calories for suppertime eating - it is the only meal I get to enjoy with my family.

I have some great low-cal suppers that I use, but not as low as 350 cals~ I am happy to provide whatever input/recipes/etc.

That being said, I understand the design with loading most cals early in the day. Logistically makes good sense.