Splits Training

Hi Guys

I'm traying to stretch into the splits, front and box, but I've been doing the same stretches to get into for ages. I'm slowly getting closer to the floor on front splits but wondered if anyone else had anymore tips?

For box splits I've been trying to straddle the wall!!

Replies

• Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    try over splits hun...do u have a foam roller?if not u can use a telephone book or stairs.
    example: http://contortionistsunite.ning.com/photo/9-inch-over-splits?context=user
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Out of curiosity, why, if you don't have a clean, square split on the ground, would you attempt an oversplit?

For the OP:
    You haven't really given us enough information to really be helpful. Splits take a long time for a lot of people, you say you've been stretching "for ages," but how long is that in a real unit of time, 6 months, a year, 2 years? And where did you start out, were you already pretty flexible, or not at all?

How often are you stretching? A common recommendation is to stretch every day to see real progress. Although when I took contortion classes we did intense stretching once a week, and only mild stretching the rest of the time--so there doesn't seem to be consensus on this from what I've seen.

What stretch are you doing specifically?

Also, remember to keep your hips square as you stretch, proper form is important if you want to have an oversplit later.
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    you dont have to be completely flat to do over splits...my gym coaches and dance instructors had us doing them to improve our regular splits. im not an instructor ive only trained in gymnastics and dance for 18yrs
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Also, remember to keep your hips square as you stretch, proper form is important if you want to have an oversplit later.

This is useful. Thanks for this. I will pay more attention to my hips when I stretch from now on.

I am also in the boat of being very naturally inflexible. Working on flexibility is the area of pole I'm most bad at. I haven't been stretching consistently yet, but I'm hoping as soon as I start seeing real progress in my flexibility I'll get hooked. I just need something to keep me accountable! :(

• For the OP:
    You haven't really given us enough information to really be helpful. Splits take a long time for a lot of people, you say you've been stretching "for ages," but how long is that in a real unit of time, 6 months, a year, 2 years? And where did you start out, were you already pretty flexible, or not at all?

How often are you stretching? A common recommendation is to stretch every day to see real progress. Although when I took contortion classes we did intense stretching once a week, and only mild stretching the rest of the time--so there doesn't seem to be consensus on this from what I've seen.

What stretch are you doing specifically?

I've recently had a conditioning workshop with my instructor and I understand why you ask now. I wasn't stretching everyday for a start. I'm not sure what the names of the ones I've started doing are, but for one I lie on my back, hips squared and pull a leg in towards me for 10 seconds, then push against for 10, deep breath, and pull again (I repeat about 3 or 4 times). I've put together a routine of holding each position for 30 secs each (again, I don't know the names, sorry!) so I'll see how it goes.

There is one calf stretch that really got me though; you're on one knee, the other leg is out straight in front of you, toes pointed, and you bend forwards. You feel the stretch in your hamstring. Then you pull you toes up, keep your body bent forward, and this stretches your calf. I wasn't expecting the pull first time I did it!