paleo and alcohol

Options
hello, i have been doing primal for about 3 months now and lost 26 lbs so far. i feel amazing, and also found out i have celiacs so i cannot have any wheat/gluten products. however, i am young and i like to go out a lot. i do not dink during the week, but on the weekends i drink a fair ammount. what are the best drinks for staying on track? wine? hard alcohol? i cant have beer so that is out of the question. but whats the best beverage???

Replies

• _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If I do drink (which is pretty seldom) I usually have white wine, mainly because red wine (which many favour) gives me a killer headache the next morning.

It also seems a pretty reasonable choice from a primal perspective as fruit fermentation does occur in the wild, and I doubt our ancestors would have avoided this fruit once they knew how fun it was :D
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it fits Paleo or Primal, but my friend swears by Vodka. He says its the 'cleanest' of the alcohols and doesn't leave you with a hangover. We certainly put that to the test 5 years ago, and he was right. It's really the sugars in mixed drinks that make you feel blecchy the next day, so maybe a nice Vodka with a twist of lime, or a splash of cranberry juice...just a splash tho...lots of sugar in it.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    persephone,
    If you do try red wine (which is ok primal in moderate amounts - excellent antioxidant)
    make sure you try one that is sulfite free. Many people are allergic to sufites and killer headaches is the main symptom.
    (I'd also recommend some water before bed ;)
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    @mikebyron - ahh! i may have to look some of that out, as I love the taste of red wine (if not the aftereffects lol)
  • AlaskaLily
    Options
    There are gluten free beers that exist...one made by a Vermont company owned by Long Trail...Wolavers I believe. But in general, Paleo is beer free right? I am currently not allowed any alcohol during my 30 day thingy.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    There are gluten free beers that exist...one made by a Vermont company owned by Long Trail...Wolavers I believe. But in general, Paleo is beer free right? I am currently not allowed any alcohol during my 30 day thingy.
    Although gluten is a large reason why grains are bad, it's not the only reason. Grain-based beverages in general are out.
  • heathernz
    heathernz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi Weathergirl - since I started primal a couple of months ago, I have only drunk red wine, and only a glass or two, followed by water to protect against the headache. However if I was going to go out for a 'splurge' - I would choose vodka and soda water with a slice of fresh lemon - I can't do more than a couple of wines.

Make sure it's not a soda water 'with a twist' as they have sugar, just plain soda water. Not ideal as far as the primal lifestyle - but sometimes we need to cut loose :)
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    If I do drink (which is pretty seldom) I usually have white wine, mainly because red wine (which many favour) gives me a killer headache the next morning.

It also seems a pretty reasonable choice from a primal perspective as fruit fermentation does occur in the wild, and I doubt our ancestors would have avoided this fruit once they knew how fun it was :D

I can actually keep that headache away if I make sure to drink some water before bed (and drink some throughout the evening). I drank a bottle last Saturday night and woke up feeling fine - well, maybe just a little tired but I was up late playing poker.

I drink red wine almost every day. Usually 2-3 glasses and it has no effect on my weight. The red wine helps control my blood sugar, too. If I'm not careful it will lower it too much.

It's interesting. I have never been much of a drinker and when I did it was Sailor Jerry with a Dr. Pepper chaser. Or mixed. I have always HATED wine and the red wine was the nastiest. Since going Primal I have developed a major liking for red wine. I think it's becuase I can actually taste the fruitiness of it. Before my taste buds were so desensitized that all I could taste was the "bite" afterward.

Heck, yellow, orange and red peppers taste almost like candy to me now. They are so sweet I can't eat them with my eggs anymore.
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    i loooooove sailor jerry! yummmm
  • Smonks00
    Options

this was a great resource. thanks!