Complete couch potato and stuck on Week 1!

I have been at week 1 for a while now, at first I did it 3 times in a week but left about 2 days in between. After that I forgot about it, and only ran once a week later. Then a week after that (Today) I went again, and I am going to keep at it properly now.

BUT

I am horribly unfit and honestly think I will still have to do week 1 for a LONG time! Today after every 60 second run, I had a horrible and painful stich and I honestly felt like I was about to pass out - was really struggling to breathe at times. I wanted to stop and give up after only 30 seconds of running each time and I don't even sprint as hard as I can either, I jog really slowly and it still happens. This is like this every run so far, I really don't see an improvement and I certainly don't enjoy the runs! Is it because the gaps between each run are two long? Is it running technique? Right now the end - 5k, seems impossible.

I don't get it. At the gym I tried week 1 once and did it fine, but was just only a little uncomfortable. I have done some mountain walking and training for that in the gym once a week last year so I thought I was at least a little bit fit. Please someone tell me I'm not alone?

Replies

• cannie55
    cannie55 Posts: 74 Member
    For the running sections, the goal isn't to go fast at all- the goal is just to make it to the end! It's okay to run really slow.

If you're running slow and still having a hard time, I wonder if you might find it more helpful to spend a week or two just walking to build up your fitness a bit? If there is somewhere near you where you could walk up some gentle hills that would definitely build your fitness, and even going for a long-ish walk on the flat would probably help too. Or, if you don't want to just walk, maybe alter the program a bit and spend a few days doing 30 second runs rather than 60 seconds and then try week 1 again.

But, that being said, I think nearly everyone struggles some at the beginning. Running is hard and it takes a while to get used to it! I definitely wasn't enjoying running at the beginning, and now I'm on week 6 and honestly look forward to going on my runs. It took me a while to get to this point, but I'm really glad I stuck with it.

If you're on facebook, there is a Couch to 5k group on there that can offer lots of encouragement too- https://www.facebook.com/C25Kplan
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    I completely agree with Jellytots -- it's not a race, so don't worry about speed or even how long you can or can't run...just build the HABIT of getting out there every other day and walking with occasional runs mixed in. I was in a VERY similar condition when I started, and just repeated some (several) weeks until I felt ready to move onto the next. It took a while, but I DID finish the program! :)

If you do stick with just walking for now, I might suggest you do it on a treadmill where you can adjust the incline.

But mostly, I'll cheer you on to keep going! You'll do it, you really will -- just don't pressure yourself. The most important thing is building the habit of exercising...all the other stuff is just a wonderful byproduct of that habit, and will come along with time.

Keep us informed of how things are going!
  • Thanks so much for your reply. Everyone is so nice and supportive! :)

robpett2001 - You've really given me hope when you said you got to the end but you were in the same position as me at the start! All I can see is other joggers not even breaking a sweat rushing past me, and people on the forums saying that week 1 was very easy for them... doesn't make me feel good... I have said to myself to try my hardest to stick with it, but its all to easy to stay where you are on the computer nice and comfortable or even have a sleep - can't seem to find sufficient energy and motivation! Same today with my diet, yesterday I started eating healthily but today I am back to my old ways with my awful snacking. But as you said, you just have to keep trying and going no matter what and after a while it will just fall into place :) Thankyou for cheering me on :) I feel like I don't want to give up now and will go for my next run tomorrow and tell you how it goes!

ac1355 - At this moment in time can't ever imagine looking forward to my runs, haha Walking is actually a good idea come to think of it, to keep my fitness up and I like your idea of doing 30 secs running and then 60 seconds rest, will probably like that a lot more! Come to think of it I always run with my brother (whos very fit) so maybe I'm going faster than I think I am and not at a comfortable pace for me... Do normally leave a full day inbetween or do you run on consecutive days by the way? Well done on getting at week 6, you should be proud of yourself for sticking it, hopefully I will be in your position some time in the future :)
  • cannie55
    cannie55 Posts: 74 Member
    Trust me, at the beginning I couldn't imagine that I'd ever look forward to running either!

I like to run every other day (Sun/Tues/Thurs) on my non-running days I usually go for a long-ish walk with my dog up an old logging road that has a decent incline. I do like to have some sort of activity every day, but I feel like my runs go much better if I have a break between them.

If you're running with someone who is really fit I bet chances are good you're going faster than you think! When I first started running I felt really self conscious about running in public and in front of other people. There is a saying I've seen several places that says something to the effect of "no matter how slow you're going, you're still lapping the people on the couch". I try to keep that in mind when I start to feel self conscious about running slow, being out of breath, etc. Everyone has to start somewhere!

Good luck! It really doesn't matter how fast you progress, or how slow you start out at- the point is that you're out there exercising and trying to get in better shape :)
  • neuro316
    neuro316 Posts: 42 Member
    I would definitely make sure that you can walk for 30 minutes continuously at a rather quick pace (a speed that will get your heart rate up, but not necessarily speed walking) before starting the c25k program. Also, make sure that you can do this 3 days a week.

Once you reach that point (if you're not there already), make sure you don't push yourself too fast on your running pace. If you're having trouble finishing the week 1 plan, then decrease your running pace and see if that helps. Just keep going until you find a pace that works for you, then stick with that pace as you progress. There's absolutely nothing wrong with repeating a day or week for as long as it takes you to safely complete it.
  • starchile
    starchile Posts: 248 Member
    Also, running on the treadmill and running outside are two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT BEASTS!!! At least that is what I have found. I will be starting W7 this week and I'm up to running 25 minutes with not TOO much of a problem, however, I tried running outside and I COULDN"T EVEN DO W1D1 w/out the same effect that you've experienced. I feel like my body is having to work a hundred times harder outside than at the gym.

I don't know if the gym is an option for you but what I'm going to do is complete the program on the treadmill and then start all over from W1D1 on a track where it's a little more cushy than the sidewalk. I'm thinking that my endurance will be a little better and that would be a logical next step.

At any rate...TAKE IT SLOWLY!! The BEST advice everyone kept giving me when I started was SLOW DOWN to a pace that you can handle. Don't worry at all about how fast you are going.

To your health!!

=)