Statins can cause diabetes. Oh man.

Options
MikeFlyMike
MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
I don't take any prescriptions and am going to work hard to keep it that way.
Yet more proof modern medicine isn't all it is cracked up to be.
I cannot imagine ever takin statins.
I hope the physicians of the future see the value of diet.

http://www.king5.com/health/FDA-adds-diabetes-warning-to-popular-cholesterol-drug-140742933.html

Replies

• _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, this surprises me not at all. It reminds me of the way that all depression medication has listed side effects such as 'anxiety, suicidal thoughts, etc, etc, etc' - just what you need, huh.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Ever more reason to get healthy...speaking to myself! I'm here at MFP for several reasons and one is to naturally lower the problems I have that I have to take medication for. This article just solidified my resolve. I want off these meds!!!

And by the way, a big grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr is in order after reading this article.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    What's sad is statins are even worse in a diabetic body yet they still get prescribed to diabetics. My brother's doctor says no to statins because he's diabetic yet my sister-in-law's doctor has her on statins and she's diabetic. Interesting that there was no benefit to putting a female on statins, either yet the female is the one being prescribed it.

And I've read on numerous occasions that oatmeal is very bad for diabetics - my sis-in-law's doctor tells her to stay away from it but my brother's doctor tells him to eat it everyday because its healthy (my brothers exact words: "eating oatmeal every day dropped my LDL". (you mean it wasn't the drop in sugar or the drop in calories or the increase in exercise?).

I don't put anything into any word that comes out of a doctor's mouth these days.
  • mom2tek
    mom2tek Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've also heard that about oatmeal and Diabetics.
    I have a family member who has taken many antidepressants and anxiety meds and now he is suffering from Parkinson's stage 4. They are fairly certain that those meds caused it. It's not due to Genetics. Sad! Extra motivation to stay with the Paleo/Primal lifestyle and my goal to stay completely med free!