first true day of lc. help!

Options
Okay so today is my first true day of lc.

I hvnt been hungry.. bug I feel deprived. Lol. But no in all seriousness I feel extremely tired
And lethargic and I have a headache.

1. Is this normal? When will it pass??
2. What did you do to help yourself through this?
3. Can you give me pointers?
4. What foods do u eat that help you not feel so deprived?

Thx in advance!

Replies

• GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm only about a week in, so I don't have a whole lot of advice -- but I can say that I also felt exhausted and very lethargic the first few days. I even felt kind of dizzy at times - almost drunk! I kept a water bottle with me and just kept drinking water like crazy and after a few days it passed. I feel totally normal now. You've just got to stick with it for a few days until these symptoms pass.

I've not really had too many cravings, but I've also read that they will pass, as well. I'm sure someone here will chime in with more info for you!

Hang in there!!! =)
  • tarakay84
    Options
    Thanks!
  • wren176
    wren176 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Agree with the poster above. I eat the cocoa roasted almonds and they satisfy a sweet craving and they are low carb too
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Agree with the poster above. I eat the cocoa roasted almonds and they satisfy a sweet craving and they are low carb too

Are nuts allowed during induction? I don't see them on the food list from the Atkins site....?
  • Sarah6970
    Options
    The symptoms you describe are normal for a low carb diet, it is often described as 'atkins flu', I must admit my headache was so bad I thought I was geting a migraine, but once your body changes over from burning sugars/glucose etc then you will feel much better. The symptoms usually only last a few days, so chin up! Hope this helps you a little, I'm only 5/6 weeks in so I am no expert! Good luck :wink:
  • ShilohMaier
    Options
    Nuts are not allowed on induction- to answer that question.
    The rest of the way you are feeling is absolutely normal. Your body will take a few days to adjust to switching it's fuel source from carbs to fat. You may also experience leg cramps- just a heads up. You're body is going through a withdrawal. After it passes you're going to feel pretty stinkin' awesome!

2. What did you do to help yourself through this?
    A: I had to take Excedrin Migraine to get through my withdrawal headaches. For the lethargy, I just rode it out.

3. Can you give me pointers?
    A: Take a good multivitamin- it will help.

4. What foods do u eat that help you not feel so deprived?
    A: If you're feeling deprived sweet wise, sugar-free jell-o is allowed and relatively refreshing actually. But if you can stick it out, the food cravings go away, and the feeling of being deprived goes away as well. I always look at all the yummy things I can have that I couldn't have if I were doing a low-cal diet. Like bacon, and sour cream, and eggs with the yolkes in them. And Butter!! And Lobster!! Also, thing I find I miss the most is acidity- sometimes you just want something tangy- so I eat pickled things: pickles, pickled bologna, pickled eggs, pickled veggies....
  • Justforthebacon
    Justforthebacon Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you are following HFLC diet then you are probably experiencing the keto flu. It will pass. Drink LOTS of water. When I first started back in November I had 48 hours of feeling like utter crap. It was horrible to tell you the truth. Then on the 3rd day I felt great. Keep hydrated and add some sodium to your diet (THIS HELPS A TON). Hang in there and embrace the SUCk! It will get a lot easier :)
  • AthenaSoul
    AthenaSoul Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm about to embark on a low carb diet. The first phase is no carbs at all. The book says I can expect to experience something akin to "atkins flu" for up to 5 days in the first phase of the plan.

Nuts are allowed on the plan at all stages (some are not allowed on the induction phase but i only like peanuts so im fine :) )

It has an extensive list of supplements to take for phase one:

A multivitamin that doesn't contain iron
    A natural remedy for constipation - though you can up your intake of leafy veg to get natural fibre
    Chromium supplement
    Fish oils supplement - though I imagine if you eat enough oily fish, this supplement wouldn't be necessary either (id rather eat the food than swallow a tablet any day)
    If you are a smoker; 1000mg of vitamin C
    Vitamin B
    If you are a drinker - milk thistle for 30 day detox
    Coenzyme Q10 - it's an energy booster but you can get multivitamins with this in. I already buy a chewable multivitamin with this in.

---
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I started lc on Saturday and today was the first day it hit me. I ave had a horrible headache all day. It's withdrawal from the sugar and carbs. Hang in there, it will be worth it!!
  • daisysmamu
    daisysmamu Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing - started the diet on a Friday, and Monday when I had to go to work, I felt like $h!+ all day. But it passed after a day or 2, and I haven't had problems since. It is so worth it for me because i can now eat a lower-calorie diet with little hunger and no "real" cravings.