New to primal, need some recipes

Options
bozmo
bozmo Posts: 177 Member
Hello! Thanks for letting me join your forum!
I've been looking at the primal lifestyle for a few weeks now. Partly for weight loss, partly to see how I feel without any gluten (I suspect I have some gluten intolerance issues). I've been trying some recipes and I love the food. I never did like pasta anyway. So I made the commitment to myself two days ago to try it for a month. But I'm stuck on a few places where I need recipe suggestions.

1 - For breakfast what are good options that don't have eggs? I like eggs and have been eating quite a few, but I'm getting a little tired of them. Breakfast was usually a "carb" meal for me. Oatmeal, english muffins, hash browns, etc. so I'm having trouble being creative.

2- What are good snacks? I don't really care for sardines. I'm trying to avoid most dairy for now, but celery with goat cheese sounds like it will work later. I like nuts but can see how it would be easy to over-do them. (note to self - I have a mouth - not a vacuum). I also like fruit but of course I'm trying to restrict that some as well. .....and then I get stuck on ideas... I do need to get more protein so high protein snacks ideas would be most welcome.

I would love to meet other people who are trying the primal lifestyle. Feel free to friend me if you would like to help keep me motivated!

Replies

• MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    thoughts.
    1 - bacon, lean ham, protein shake in a pinch (careful). on the move, a protein bar (again be careful).

2 - pork rinds ;) I always keep jerky and almonds around. I am also trying to lose a few more pounds so I limit fruit for now. I have some muscle milk protein drinks that I use for a snack on a day when I am not able to get enough protein. (again, you have to choose carefully on anything that isn't fresh food)
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm going to second the bacon suggestion (mmmmmm), and also perhaps sausage if you like it? Don't be limited to traditional 'breakfast' foods though...last night's leftovers also make a great breakfast (and are very easy to grab in the morning).

One of my favourite protein snacks is chicken drumsticks - I make up a big batch at once (spiced/seasoned as the fancy takes me) and keep them in the fridge to nibble on when I'm feeling snackish. Also make a good, quick lunch with some salad and whatever if you can't be bothered to make something, or to take to work in a box.
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to suggest a website we've been using in our house for recipes.

Paleoplan.com

They have recipes ideas for every meal, including breakfast and snacks/desserts.

There are also many recipes you can google for that are baked goods (muffins, pancakes) that are made with almond or coconut flour. We usually do some variety of eggs for breakfast, but we'll throw those in whenever we get bored, or keep some around if we want a sweet in the evening.

I second those who said beef jerky and pork rinds for snacks. They are kind of my 'one and while' treat when I am feeling like I need something naughty. An apple or celery sticks dipped in almond butter is delish too.
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options

One of my favourite protein snacks is chicken drumsticks - I make up a big batch at once (spiced/seasoned as the fancy takes me) and keep them in the fridge to nibble on when I'm feeling snackish. Also make a good, quick lunch with some salad and whatever if you can't be bothered to make something, or to take to work in a box.

That's a good idea! Thanks!
  • palmarfa
    Options
    I did read your post, but it's an egg reference anyway. How about Cauliflower Rice (from NomNom Paleo or Clothes Make the Girl) topped with Thai Eggs (from NomNom Paleo).

It is eggs, but it's different, and with the cauliflower rice you kind of get that carb-y texture you like. I use coconut flour in the egg recipe and get a nice crispy texture. I don't use as much oil as the recipe recommends. Had it this morning and want it again now.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I've made these spaghetti squash patties with onion and rosemary, sometimes with a little mushroom thrown in and stuffed into a pepper ring. They're my favourite way to eat spaghetti squash, and my boyfriend asks for them often. I roast a spaghetti squash to use for them each week, then just pull it out when I have the time. I usually serve with bacon & eggs, but have also done it with just cooked sausage thrown into the mixture and fried until it starts to caramelize. I could go for some right now....

http://www.health-bent.com/sides/hash-browns
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Paleo Recipe Database:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AniYCSPeVfKFdExNUE1xWFctV2V1YVFGSW13eHl0Vnc#gid=1

Hope this helps.

My go to for breakfast is throwing veggies in with my eggs, the breakfast casserole that's in the spreadsheet above and also paleo pancakes, made with eggs but they taste mostly like banana and almond.

Snacks I like are almonds, celery and almond butter, homemade trail mix, and carrots. Going to give kale chips a try here pretty soon. You can also find sweet potato chips or make your own by baking thin slices of sweet potatoes with salt, pepper and a little olive oil.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Becky, that is a cool way to collect and pass links. Thanks for that.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    tons and tons of great websites - I don't have the links but if you just goggle them they should come up

The clothes make the girl (my fav)
    nom nom paelo
    health bent
    everyday paleo

I JUST got the Paleo Comfort Food cookbook (came yesterday) - so many good recipes...bonus is my tweens were looking through it and have declared they want to make some of the dishes...so bonus points for having such great pictures that my kids now want to try mashed cauliflower, okra and beef ribs...
  • rebeccap13
    Options
    If any of you use the spreadsheet I posted, feel free to add new recipes to it that you find and like!
  • bozmo
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the ideas. The squash "pancakes" sound tasty. I'll look up the other ones and see what looks good.

For snacks the drumsticks and pork rinds both look good. I'll have to find some I like. I also had some bacon for a snack yesterday and that was tasty. I keep some already cooked in the fridge so breakfast is easier - but it was very good for an afternoon pick-me-up!

I am having a hard time finding almond flour. I'll hit the heath food store today. (I don't have WF or TJ where I live).

Otherwise its day 4. I don't notice a difference yet. But I made a killer pot roast last night :)
  • rebeccap13
    Options
    Most specialty flours aren't necessary. I buy a small pack of almond flour and coconut flour and it lasts me at least six months. The big thing to remember is that eating paleo isn't about finding "paleo" replacements for all the other stuff you used to eat, like pancakes, bread, cupcakes, or cookies. While I still like to have those things every once in a while, maybe every month or so, they are still high in carbohydrates because all nut flours are going to still be high in carbohydrates.

I did find an awesome recipe for Thanksgiving and Christmas that is a pumpkin spice cake, uses no flours just almond butter (still pretty high in carbs). Once again, I use these paleofied recipes mostly for special occasions.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Most specialty flours aren't necessary. I buy a small pack of almond flour and coconut flour and it lasts me at least six months. The big thing to remember is that eating paleo isn't about finding "paleo" replacements for all the other stuff you used to eat, like pancakes, bread, cupcakes, or cookies. While I still like to have those things every once in a while, maybe every month or so, they are still high in carbohydrates because all nut flours are going to still be high in carbohydrates.

The bolded part needs to be shouted from the rooftops. Junk food made with healthy ingredients is still...junk food!
  • QuakerMom
    QuakerMom Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    BTW, for folks who eat pork rinds, where do you buy them? Regular grocery store?
    I saw some recently at a store I don't usually go to -- in the checkout lane -- and they were loaded w/chemical crap i wouldn't touch even before going paleo. I do most of my shopping at TJ's and our weekly market (and have never seen them) so where would i find healthy pork rinds?

Thx.
  • bozmo
    Options
    Quakermom -
    I found some "baken-ets" brand pork rinds in my grocery store. Ingredients are pork skin and salt. They were delicious with some fresh guacamole! That was a great snack idea.
  • QuakerMom
    QuakerMom Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll look for these next time i'm at the store.