Do you think bodybuilding is a sport?

Options
Nopedotjpeg
Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
I figured this would be an appropriate place for this question as well. I still say no personally. My first train of reasoning for this was because it's all too subjective. There's no objective measure for "who looks more buff and tan?" Of course, then comes the rebuttal with sports such as Olympic diving. I would still stand by that bodybuilding is not a sport however because there is no actual physical feat being performed in the competition. Gymnasts, divers, skateboarders, etc. all have to physically exert themselves in a way that is related to their training. A bodybuilder does none of this. I'm not arguing that there's a lot of work and commitment to compete in the world of bodybuilding, but calling posing on stage an athletic event doesn't make sense to me.

So. What are your thoughts on this?

Replies

• charlesguimont
    Options
    Whatever what the word SPORT means .... Bodybuilding is a discipline that need incredible focus, research and learning, mental strength, dedication, etc .... way more that all those SPORT. Calling bodybuilding a sports would be a insult to bodybuilding if you want my opinion ... All the world top athlete in almost every sport from Golf to swimming to football, are now trained by bodybuilder ... Bodybuilding is a extreme discipline that involve pushing you mind and body there genetic limit !!! In Fact, bodybuilding done correctly with methodology like Mentzer HIT and German volume,etc ... with the appropriate nutrition program (usually zone or paleo) create enough stress on the body to trigger epigenetic change .... So ... I would say that it go even further that you genetic limit ...

By the way, about the bodybuilding show/contest .... this is not where the thing append ... people just use that pretext has goal to increase there motivation, It is just a esthetic representation of what the result of there work look like. It is not based on performance ... its just a show ... to look good and compare what you did with your per ... Every real bodybuilder have precise chart of there progress with different measure. In there computer ... for them ... All that is very measurable way more than what many athlete do in there sport, Skateboarding ... FigureSkating, Bobslee, and all those ridiculuse sport present at the olimpic ...

Hope you don't still think that bodybuilding is about tanning or looking buff. People who try bodybuilding, who come with those kind of goal ... they just don't make it! It way no enough!

By the way I'm referring here to real bodybuilding ... mostly without steroids ...
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    By the way I'm referring here to real bodybuilding ... mostly without steroids ...

I beg to differ, the steroid users are the real body builders, the ones who compete in natural competitions are just playing in the sand.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    For me it's a hobby. I don't know about "real" bodybuilders. Maybe a "discipline". I don't know.
  • 8Spokes
    Options
    Certainly, a community exists that see bodybuilding as a sport. In my experience, when done correctly (clean eating, proper form, frequency, intensity) bodybuilding is far more difficult and demanding than a sport...so if folks want to call it a sport, I don't really see a problem with it. However, it's truly more lifestyle than sport.

Oh..and if you need steroids, you're doing it wrong.
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i think of it as more of an art.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

Oh..and if you need steroids, you're doing it wrong.

you know every IFBB pro takes massive amounts of drugs right?
  • disneydiva21
    Options
    once you start entering in shows it becomes a sport until then its a hobby
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options

Yeah this seems about right.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options

Yeah this seems about right.

I agree with this, but more or less see this as a "way of life". Once you know what you're doing, you never forget and you always bounce back healthwise. It's the fountain of youth to me.
  • odownz
    odownz Posts: 98
    Options
    I don't know if it's a sport and I'm not that big(muscular wise), but I love lifting, and lifting heavier and heavier! Its the only "sport" I like!
  • ouija86
    ouija86 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding is a lifestyle (or a sport that takes up 24 hours of every day). 7+ meals a day, meal timing, sleep, not to mention the 110% in every training session. It requires a 24/7 commitment unlike any other sport.

As for the drugs, nothing wrong with that, it's just another supplement. You're average joe could run a crazy cycle and still not see the kinds of results that the truly dedicated athlete will. Drugs don't make the athlete, period. It's the hard work, day in and day out.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options

I beg to differ, the steroid users are the real body builders, the ones who compete in natural competitions are just playing in the sand.

I don't think that could be any further from the truth..Since when did steroids determine if you are a real BB? If you compete, bust your *kitten*, and pour your heart and soul into BB you are a real BB..Reg Park, John Grimek, Steve Reeves, Clarence Ross ect ect..were not real BB? They were as serious about strength athletics as anybody who ever lived. They gave their entire lives to it!

You are gonna tell me these guys are not real BB?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnLsXWC2eIo&feature=player_embedded
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Yes it's a sport. Kind of sports entertainment I guess. But to try to take away from it and say it's not a sport is crappy.
    One of the few sports that requires 24/7 dedication.

Natural bodybuilding vs using steroids is kind of a dumb thing to argue about. The natural guys typically aren't even natural. And you can't hate on the real bodybuilders who are willing to use steroids, deal with risks and side effects, and do everything they can to be the best.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    to me bb is a lifestyle and shows are an exhibit.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    to me bb is a lifestyle and shows are an exhibit.

I agree with this. If you call bodybuilding a sport, would beauty pageants be a sport? For them it is as much a lifestyle as it is for bodybuiilding folks, only they are aiming for a different physique.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding is a lifestyle (or a sport that takes up 24 hours of every day). 7+ meals a day, meal timing, sleep, not to mention the 110% in every training session. It requires a 24/7 commitment unlike any other sport.

I don't do any of that, except for the sleep part
  • run2jeepn
    run2jeepn Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I see it as a Sport for sure. There is a lot more to the Judging for who wins. Symmetry, Size, Detail, conditioning and more go into Judging.

As for the being Natural or an AAS User. Doesn't matter. They don't compete against each other. Not all IFBB Pro's have to use Massive amount of AAS either. They have there Staples.. but the real drugs come after the AAS during PCT and Dieting. These have more Sides/Complactions then AAS do.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    For me it's a hobby. I don't know about "real" bodybuilders. Maybe a "discipline". I don't know.

^^^^This.
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    i see it as a hobby, or career like modelling when you make it. probably one of the most demanding hobbies ever though lol.
    i see the lifting side of it as the sport. worlds strongest man, powerlifting etc
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Kinda of an oxymoron here since practically all highly competitive bodybuilders are on gear.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition