I am going to try this :/

Options
Hi! I am going to try this low carb "thing." I have been reading up on a few low carb sites, and I think i am ready to do this. However, I am also limiting my meat consumption, which isn't very high anyway. how can I do this while doing low carb? Also, I want to remain low fat. Thanks!

Replies

• dragynyss
    Options
    The high-protein/low-carb/low-fat diet is one that I have been doing and is very successful for me, but I couldn't do it without the meat consumption. Turkey and chicken are your friends in this diet, believe me.

That will be very difficult if you are limiting your meat consumption, but you may be able to accomplish this by eating lots and lots of eggs. Soy has protein but you will probably get carbs along with the soy protein (read the labels!) Dairy products also contain protein but you will get some fat grams along with them. Keep away from beans as they are high in carbs and while you can eat nuts, they have lots of fat so eat sparingly. Also, I start my day with an EAS Advantedge high protein shake - these are AWESOME and provide 17grams of protein and is low carb. Stay away from most protein shakes - if you read their labels they are very high in carbs - sometimes 20-30 grams in one drink which is my full day's worth!

You will have to be religious about labels and weighing your food. I keep my carb intake between 25-30 grams with an occasional 35gram day once or twice a week. I *try* to get my protein at 100 grams but even with meat this can be tough. Over 70 grams is good though.

Eggs and EAS shakes will be your new best friend!

Good luck!
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much meat either, and I do ok. Eggs are big, and so is cheese.

I started eating more meat just to "mix it up" though - I'm on week 7. I like pork loin (easy and fast and delicious) so I make one a week. The only fish I like is tuna salad so I make that once a week. I put bacon on more stuff just to get the calories and taste. I found I can eat boneless chicken thighs without being turned off by stupid dry meat or useless leg meat.

I also have found that I will more readily eat meat from a restaurant than stuff I make at home. I'll have Burger King with no bun once a week, maybe once a month a steak from Outback (with veggies, no potato) and chicken ceasar salads from wherever. I never make any of that stuff at home.

You MIGHT get bored avoiding meat but you also might find that you appreciate it or tolerate it more once you've cut out carbs and want some variety.
  • Kksd605
    Kksd605 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is high in protein and low in carbs. I agree also with the EAS protein drink comment. You may need something like that to keep your protein high. I but chocolate protein in my coffee in the morning... yum!
  • tarakay84
    Options
    Cottage cheese is high in protein and low in carbs. I agree also with the EAS protein drink comment. You may need something like that to keep your protein high. I but chocolate protein in my coffee in the morning... yum!

Yum. What kind?
  • Kksd605
    Kksd605 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Yum. What kind?

I'm currently doing the Ideal Protein diet. But I have looked at the EAS as an alternative because it is also low in carbs.
  • change_happens
    Options
    thanks, y'all :)
  • clpcat
    clpcat Posts: 4
    Options
    Be careful too much protein is hard on the kidney
  • AthenaSoul
    AthenaSoul Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    30% approximately of your daily intake should contain fat. Trying to do LC on low fat is counterproductive. You need good fats to properly absorb the nutrients. Low fat intake is a risk factor in depression, liver and kidney troubles and some cancers.

If you want your diet to be low carb, low protein and low fat, what do you plan on eating? What is your calorie intake goal?
  • rsouthland
    Options
    I absolutely agree with the what AthenaSoul said about doing LC and low fat is counter productive. If you read the meal plans provided in any of the Atkins books, they specifically talk about the reason that you want a high fat diet when low carbing.
  • Justforthebacon
    Justforthebacon Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters. Eat fat! Don't buy into the bad information out there. Fat is important in your diet when low carbing.

Here are just a few ideas of food to eat, they are meatless but not low fat:

almond meal/flour (you can made all sorts of stuff)
    coconut flour
    nuts
    cheese (Full fat)
    eggs
    protein powder
    coconut oil / EVOO (make your own salad dressing)
    Heaving whipping cream
    avocados
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the posters above me, you HAVE to eat fat in one form or another or you won't use your body fat for fuel properly. Low carb plans have always been about low carb/moderate protein and high fat. Atkins and Primal people live practically on fat.

A good example is today I will have consumed the following by the end of the day:

Carbs = 17g
    Fat = 224g
    Protein = 161g
    Calories = 2797

As you can see most of my calories come from fat and I'm already loosing inches (5 inches this week, but no scale movement quite yet).
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    If you want your diet to be low carb, low protein and low fat, what do you plan on eating? What is your calorie intake goal?

This! :huh:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    First of all, low carb is not a thing. It's a way of eating that can work well for some people who've done their homework. That being said, low carb is also relative. Some people are on an Atkins type approach while others eat as many as 100g-150g of carbs per day.

I think you should do more research. Like someone said, low fat, low carb, low protein...what on earth will you eat? MFP will help you track all three macros as a percentage of your daily caloric intake.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    So for Saturday, here are my numbers (just found this interesting)

Carbs = 26g
    Fat = 319g
    Protein = 157g
    Calories = 3,695

Lost 3lbs over this weekend. Who says it's all about calories in vs. caloris out :laugh: