No more antidepressants?

Options
I went to the dr the other day for a check up after starting my thyroid meds just over a month ago. I am doing really well, my depression has lifted and my anxiety has lessened.

He wants me to stop my lexapro (antidepressant and antianxiety) I'm confused by this, if I'm finally starting to feel good, why change things up? Also, I've had depression issues since puberty, long before I had thyroid issues. My dr thinks that I have been suffering from hashi's for years, the way my weight has always yo-yo'd, the wacky cycles, etc, but I'm terrified of stopping my antidepressants. What if hashi's ISNT the cause of my depression and I slip away again. Once I slip into depression, it usually takes me 7-8 months to get help again, even though I'm AWARE of the issue.

What are your thoughts on this?

Replies

• seaglass2
    seaglass2 Posts: 192
    Options
    If I understood your post, your doctor wants to wean you off the lexapro now that things have leveled off with your thyroid/hashi's. You could always try and if you find yourself slipping back resume the medication. A well known side effect of lexapro is weight gain.

I took lexapro for a short time (about six months - after a job loss and my son leaving for college - the anxiety was overwhelming) and I gained weight which is a side effect. I knew about it at the time but it was a trade off that I was willing to accept.

At the end of the day, it's *your* decision. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
  • 0AmyMarie0
    0AmyMarie0 Posts: 315
    Options
    Yes, he wants me to wean now, the thing is, I don't even have blood drawn for another 2 weeks to see if my thyroid levels are actually stable or not. I don't think it's been enough time. Maybe I'll try the drop to 10 mg (I was on 10 mg and had it doubled last december when my thyroid stuff got really out of control) and see what happens. I guess I'm also scared of the side effects of weaning. Last time I was on it (about 8 years ago), weaning was AWFUL. I was sick and had anxiety attacks, and that was a slow wean. This time my dose is 4x's as much as it was then. So maybe that's my biggest fear about getting off of it!

ETA: I'm also in a custody battle, have been for just over 2 years, my anxiety from that goes through the roof sometimes. That's why I started back on the meds in the first place and probably why my adrenals are so fatigued.
  • seaglass2
    seaglass2 Posts: 192
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the custody battle. I can't imagine how that must effect your life & health. I can totally understand why you might need the lexapro. ((hugs))
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Long story short, you are in charge of your health and if you disagree with the doctor, tell him you'd rather wait until the blood tests are back. At the very least that should give you some time to think about what's going to happen, and deal with the anxiety of the thought of change.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Long story short, you are in charge of your health and if you disagree with the doctor, tell him you'd rather wait until the blood tests are back. At the very least that should give you some time to think about what's going to happen, and deal with the anxiety of the thought of change.

^^^^ This!! Agree 100%
  • 0AmyMarie0
    0AmyMarie0 Posts: 315
    Options
    Thanks ladies <3 You guys are awesome