oils

Options
what oils should be used? is sunflower oil ok? how about flaxseed oil??? which oils are ok?? what about grapeseed oil?

and what about mayo??? good bad or otherwise?

also, what about yogurt from coconut milk or almond milk? has a lot of carbs and sugars on the label so im confused...

Replies

• GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I use Olive Oil & Extra Virgin Olive oil for salads. Coconut oil for cooking/baking.

Mayo that you buy is out, it's made with canola or soy (or a combo of the two) oils. Mayo that you make yourself (very easy!) is in.

Here's the recipe I use for mayo, I make it about once a week or so:
    http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/

http://balancedbites.com/2010/07/fats-which-to-eat-and-which-to-ditch.html
  • njdoll
    njdoll Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    ^^^ What she said.

I also save bacon fat and use that for my cooking in lieu of oils.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Save your bacon grease. I use olive mostly for cooking, sometimes coconut oil. I make my own mayo if I ever want it, usually with a 3/1 ratio of bacon fat to olive oil.

Sunflower, grapeseed, coconut, olive oil and animal fats are good to use. I am unsure about flaxseed oil, not too familiar with it. It may be.
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I save my bacon grease. I could use that solely, but I also use coconut oil and EVOO.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    What about safflower oil? I heard recently that it was a good/safe oil to use and now I read that it's not. What's the deal? Oh and about coconut oil, does it matter if it's the refined kind or not? I have a jar but it's refined. I had a hard time even finding that.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Safflower oil is good in most ways, but is high in Omega 6.

Coconut oil: refined is OK, but EV is even better.
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    oh...my...GOD YOU CAN FRY WITH BACON GREASE?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?! I hear the hallelujah chorus right now!!!!!! that is the best thing i have ever heard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    oh...my...GOD YOU CAN FRY WITH BACON GREASE?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?! I hear the hallelujah chorus right now!!!!!! that is the best thing i have ever heard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes - but try to save the grease from grass-fed animals to maximize the omega 3 aspect of it. That said, I do have an old-fashioned aluminum canister like my mom had (found it on ebay) to keep my bacon drippings in.... :)
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Mhm, definitely save your animal fat. Bacon grease is great, and I made a curry the other night with leftover duck fat which was amazing! Animal fats also make roasted veggies much crisper and tastier than plant based fats.

You could also buy lard, especially if you can find an organic variety.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options