Calories Burned According to a HRM

Options
KimAggie04
KimAggie04 Posts: 165 Member
I just got a Heart Rate Monitor for Christmas. I finally tried it out today. I did the 45 minute Interval workout, and it said I burned 560 calories! For this particular workout, I usually log 25 minutes Aerobics (high impact) and 20 minutes Circuit Training for a total of 316 calories burned. So the readout from the HRM really shocked me. Am I using it wrong, or are you all getting a similar reading?

I should mention that the monitor said I was going between 75-95% of my maximum heart rate. The lower end was during the weight lifting and the higher during the aerobic portion.

Replies

• holly_v
    holly_v Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    i think its accurate. i did the intervals and ab burner yesterday and i burned 588.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    That's about right. It's in 500 cal range for me also. Intervals is my fav Chalean work out. I'm doing Insanity right now.
  • KimAggie04
    KimAggie04 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I thought it seemed high at the time. Since then, I have used the HRM for my other exercises this week, and it seems to be in the right range. I didn't care for this workout before, but now it's my favorite because I burn so much during it.

How's Insanity? A friend of mine has Insanity and will let me borrow it after I finish CLX. I am just not sure about all the jumping.
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    I did the 45 minute Interval workout, and it said I burned 560 calories!

Just did intervals today and my HRM registered 421cals - I have a Polar FT60
  • jlepitzki
    Options
    This is really having me think I need to get a heart rate monitor! I am convinced that I should be burning more calories during the strength training workouts than what MFP says.
  • kel7298
    Options
    This is really having me think I need to get a heart rate monitor! I am convinced that I should be burning more calories during the strength training workouts than what MFP says.

If you get one, please invest in a decent one.
  • jlepitzki
    Options
    I was thinking a bodybugg. Are there other brands I should consider?
  • isys5
    isys5 Posts: 213
    Options
    I got the fitbit which is supposed to be pretty good although not necessarily as accurate as the bodybug. Fitbit only costs $100 and has an aweseome interface that syncs up with MFP. I have only done one workout with it so far as I pulled a muscle in my leg but it seems pretty accurate.
  • holly_v
    holly_v Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I was thinking a bodybugg. Are there other brands I should consider?

i think, not sure, that you are supposed to wear the body bug all day long. for me that would be very irritating and not look good with the clothes i wear. i have the polar ft4. i felt like it was over priced when i bought it but now i would never look back on it. it has a chest strap that you wear under your chest i dont have a problem with it but some woman complain. if it does become an issue, polar makes a sports bra with the chest strap built in!
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    A BodyBugg or BodyMedia Fit is meant to be worn all day to give you an idea of how many calories you burn overall. It's a WONDERFUL tool and I absolutely adore my BodyMedia Fit. I got it on a special price during a marketing promo but I see that Costco is selling them now for highly discounted rates with subscription packages. My BMF is super comfy and I don't even feel it anymore. The first two to three days were an adjustment because I wasn't used to having something on my arm and if i wore a tight shirt, it was visible underneath. But then it didn't bother me.

I use a Polar FT7 HRM when I do cardio. Just so I have a quick calorie burning count to add to MFP. Otherwise I could just see what my BMF says but that always shows up a little on the lower end. I could probably not wear the HRM at all but I do like to look down and see where my HR is so I can be sure to adjust my level of intensity if necessary. I have noticed though that my HRM shows I burn considerably more than my BMF shows during a cardio workout. I'm really not sure which one I should default to during cardio as the BMF doesn't measure heart rate at all but it is so accurate in measuring everything else. I imagine the HRM is too high...but since I don't rely on that for my calorie guidelines anyway, it doesn't matter too much for *me*.

The healthier you get the harder it will be to get your heart rate up high and sustained. Distance runners have trained their cardio systems to be super efficient and can handle these runs without getting really high. Those just starting out running, however, see their HR soar and think they're gonna die after ten minutes. LOL! So, by doing cardio often you will condition your body and it will eventually become more efficient - which ultimately means less calorie burning overall showing on the HRM. Typically heavier people or those very out of shape will show really high burn rates during exercise....more fit folks will show lower burns in the same time frame. As with anything, there is always a measure of inaccuracy to be accounted for so just be sure to fuel your body with good foods, exercise where it is slightly uncomfortable but not unbearable, and do a wide variety of workouts to keep your body always guessing and adapting. :D
  • kel7298
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60..love it
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Wow! You all burn soooo many calories! Way more than I expected!
    If I burn like you, it means I'm probably undereating :blushing:
    I ordered a Polar FT60 and will receive it by the end of the week. Can't wait!
  • kel7298
    Options
    Burn Intervals is a killer..lol!

Enjoy your Polar!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

Enjoy your Polar!

Thank you! I just received it today! Wow! I :heart: it!
    It's like a mini computer!
    I did Burn Intervals and burned 433 cals!!! That's way more than I thought!
  • All_Mimsy
    All_Mimsy Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Enjoy your Polar!

Burn Intervals is a beast! My HRM said I burned 484 calories when I did it last week. I have a love/hate relationship with that workout! ;)
  • kel7298
    Options

Enjoy your Polar!

Nice job ladies!
  • andreanbates
    andreanbates Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Which heart rate monitor did you get and where did you get it? I am in the market for a good one (well, less than $100 good). Thanks!
    NEVERMIND, I needed to finish reading all the posts....