Couch to 5km thread

Options

Replies

• emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I am doing a week 2.5 lol which is 2 mins running/2 mins walking - thought the jump from week 2 to 3 was too much for me with also trying to adapt to barefoot running.
  • KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Hey emma
    Do you have those funky toed shoes to run in?
  • emmab0902
    Options
    Hey emma
    Do you have those funky toed shoes to run in?

The Vibrams? Hell no. People rave about them but I just can't stand the look of them lol. I'm doing total barefoot.
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    Completed week one - Not hard but I have been daily walking/cycling for 90days before starting this. I think I might find the 2nd week harder....doing this on a treadmill, not outside so its a little different from everyone else.
  • bexxgirl
    bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Completed week one - Not hard but I have been daily walking/cycling for 90days before starting this. I think I might find the 2nd week harder....doing this on a treadmill, not outside so its a little different from everyone else.

I'm doing treadmill, too. One of my knees has gone, though, so I'm on hold until I can get to a physio and get some advice next week. Quite annoyed, as I was doing well - was half-way through Week 4. Will start Week 4 again once I've got my knee sorted.
  • AriadneSnow
    AriadneSnow Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Just did W2D2 today - I'm happy with my progress so far. I started from being really unfit - so the fact that I can run for 90 seconds without stopping is huge for me!

I'm walking/running outside - which I think would be a lot more enjoyable - I've never run on a treadmill before as I've never been to a gym. What are they like? Luckily the weather has cooperated since I started as well.

I pulled a muscle near my tailbone today though - I'm hoping it's better in the morning.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    I just did what I had planned to be week 3 day 1. Ended up doing the following:

run 2mins, walk 2 mins
    run 3 mins, walk 2 mins
    run 3 mins, walk 2mins
    run 4 mins, walk 1 min
    run 1 min

was rapt that I had barely a twinge while running, so now think I can finally move ahead and build the fitness up that my joints seem to be coperating.
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    Yay - finished Week 2. Not difficult so far but might be from now on. Can't believe that I could jog 5k in seven more weeks tho!
  • emmab0902
    Options
    Randomly decided to run 20 minutes last night and managed it pain free! So I am now going to jump to week 6 seeing week 5 day 3 is a 20 minute run.
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    Completed Week 3 today. Felt good and not finding it too hard at all.
  • RozanaKremm
    RozanaKremm Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone very new to this site my very first day. :)

I'm totally going to check this out.
    But I already do alot of walking from home to town but haven't really measured it out to be honest.
    So hmmmm.
    But will definately have a look at this thread.

YAY GO KIWIS xx
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    Hi everyone very new to this site my very first day. :)

I'm totally going to check this out.
    But I already do alot of walking from home to town but haven't really measured it out to be honest.
    So hmmmm.
    But will definately have a look at this thread.

YAY GO KIWIS xx
    Well good luck - its hard work at times but worth the effort.
  • AriadneSnow
    Options
    Just did W4D1 - I'm feeling really good! It's really given me the confidence that I can do this - even the 20 minute run on W5D3 doesn't seem too intimidating now. I took it really slow today - I'll try and pick up the pace a tad next time.
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    Finished week 4 today. Went ok this week though was a bit harder today for me. On to week Five!
  • AriadneSnow
    Options
    Finished week 4 today. Went ok this week though was a bit harder today for me. On to week Five!

Well done! Good luck with next week.

W4D2 for me today. I managed to go a bit faster, my legs weren't as sore as day 1 and my breathing wasn't as stressed towards the end. Had enough juice in the tank to pick it up on my last run and managed to get about 300m further than last time. I'm pleased with how this week has gone so far.
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    Silly me - thought I had completed Week 5! Went to look at the program for Week 6 and realised the 2nd and 3rd day are different in these weeks so I will have to repeat day 2 and 3 of week 5. Thought it was too easy! :smile:
  • AriadneSnow
    Options
    Silly me - thought I had completed Week 5! Went to look at the program for Week 6 and realised the 2nd and 3rd day are different in these weeks so I will have to repeat day 2 and 3 of week 5. Thought it was too easy! :smile:
    Oh no! You'll be fine though.

Just did Week 5 Day 2 - I took it really slow and was really pleased with the results. Both 8 minute runs were fine, and for the second run I decided to just keep going for as long as I could. So I ran all the way throughout the cool down period. I haven't managed to run for 13 minutes without stopping since high school! It's given me more confidence for the 20 minute run coming up next.
  • AriadneSnow
    Options
    Just did Week 6 Day 3 - 25 minutes without stopping. Boo ya!
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    Completed Week 6 - Yay managed to run non-stop for the 25mins today. Repeated Day 3 of this week as I couldn't do it non stop last time.
  • AriadneSnow
    Options
    Completed Week 6 - Yay managed to run non-stop for the 25mins today. Repeated Day 3 of this week as I couldn't do it non stop last time.
    Awesome job!