HUNGRY all the time

Options
Anyone else notice this? Even when I was riding my bike 5-6 days a week last summer -- never was I this hungry. Hope it's a good thing. . .

Replies

• FlTGlRL
    FlTGlRL Posts: 239
    Options
    No...I don't think you are supposed to be hungry at all. Are you sure you are eating enough protein??
    Also, I added a link for the calculator on here. This should give you an idea of how many carbs, proteins, fats, & calories you should really be eating with the way we are working out. If that is to much to think about for you, at least try an focus on the protein. I initially started it out like this:

I weigh 175, so I will try and eat 175 grams of protein each day.
    If you do this, and you truly try and eat 6 smaller meals a day as she suggests, (including your 8 glasses of water), than you will not be hungry. In fact I haven't felt so full in years!!
  • stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yep. According to the calorie calculator, I haven't been eating enough, by at least 250 calories a day -- that's a good size snack or a small meal. Sheesh!
  • debwaid
    debwaid Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that in the past couple of weeks since I've been really on track with my eating, that I haven't been as hungry. Maybe your body just needs to get used the changes that you are going through!
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    stenochick041,
    I'm glad you get more calories each day! That's always good to hear. Let us know if you are still hungry in about 1 week, we will help you figure out why if you are.
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    Debwaid, yes true, that could be it too. Just adjusting to the new eating habits.
  • debwaid
    Options
    I read just a couple of days ago, somewhere on www.livestrong.com that the most important thing is getting enough protein. He said whatever your goal weight is (mine is 145) so that is how much protein I should be eating everyday! Fitgirl, what are you eating to get in 175 grams??? I had just read that article and of course, can't find it now but I had been nowhere near the 145 grams. So, now I am working at eating more protein!
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    Wow thanks for the info. I just ball parked it at my current weight but eating your goal weight makes sense too.
    LOL...yes it is hard eating so much protein, I don't hit it everyday but I try.

-Egg whites- several (Between 5-12)

-Slim fast 321 drinks (15 grams of protein- 190 calories) They are more filling than the traditional slim fasts.

-Protein bars, (with 15-20 grams of protein in each, 100-300 calories) Very filling and yummy, I've been trying several different kinds. The brands I have tried include: Atkins, Slim fast, Builder's natural protein bar, and more.

-Fresh Spinach salad

-Greek yogurt

-Grilled chicken breast (or some other lean meat) for one of my main meals.

And that's pretty much it so far. I'll let you know if I start incorporating anything else in.
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    Actually I just went back and double checked my food diary. It looks like most days I'm doing good if I get over the 100 mark. But honestly I feel so full when I do that, and let me tell you, I can eat!! I love carbs and pastas too but I have pretty much avoiding them and using protein as my new carb.
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    I think I shared this some where else on the group but this is also a link to livingstrong.com, talking about protein. I have bought a couple of books on it too to try and give me ideas. So I will continue to post good protein ideas/snacks if I come across any.
    Please feel free to share your high protein snacks/meals too!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/397707-how-to-six-high-protein-meals-per-day/
  • debwaid
    Options
    I think I shared this some where else on the group but this is also a link to livingstrong.com, talking about protein. I have bought a couple of books on it too to try and give me ideas. So I will continue to post good protein ideas/snacks if I come across any.
    Please feel free to share your high protein snacks/meals too!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/397707-how-to-six-high-protein-meals-per-day/

Just checked it out...pretty much how I get mine in!! I eat alot of greek yogurt, absolutely love it and have been incorporating in all kinds of different ways, Some good snacks that are like treats, adding it instead of may or fat-free sour cream, dips etc...

Some good protein shakes with lots of protein that are my favorite are Met Rx which is only 110 calories, 23 grams of protein for just one scoop, sometimes I do a double!! Today, I made oatmeal pancakes - so good and low-cal with 20 grams of protein!! I have mostly concentrated on keeping my food levels here lately, so I have got lots of good recipes that I would be glad to share!!
  • debwaid
    Options
    Forgot to mention that I saw a nutritionist back in the summer. She said to try for 80 to 120 grams of protein a day....which was what I had been trying to do until reading the article from Livestrong. Like Jamie, she stresses how important it is to get protein first thing in the morning.....she suggested getting at least 30 grams before lunch or within 3 hours after waking up.
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    SUGARRRR.....

I watched this thing the other day that said we are all consuming WAYYY to much sugar. She said 4 grams of sugar is equal to 1 teaspoon of sugar and that we should only be getting (10 teaspoons-40 grams of sugar) each day.
    She gave examples like how the gummy vitamins have (1 gram/ 1 teaspoon of sugar) in them. And how the white breads or white rices etc break down in to sugar.

Anyway, it was very interesting but I didn't get to watch much on it. Do any of you guys know anything about this??

I started looking at my protein drinks and protein bars (Slim fast 321 and Atkins) that have huge amounts of protein in them but have even more grams of sugar. For example this one atkins chocolate bar has 10 grams of protein but (18 grams of sugar/6 teaspoons).... That's way to much, the sugar is outweighing the protein. I might have to quit eating these protein bars/drinks, and switch to just regular vitamins. I'm not sure, any feedback guys??
  • stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The too much added sugar thing. . . yeah. There's so much added sugar to A LOT of things now days. As far as protein bars -- that's why I'm just going to keep making my own -- I was pretty impressed with the taste of those and they're not loaded with sugar. I just look at the labels of everything I buy and try to do the best I can. There's really no way to avoid added sugars but I've cut way way down since I first started MFP.
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    The too much added sugar thing. . . yeah. There's so much added sugar to A LOT of things now days. As far as protein bars -- that's why I'm just going to keep making my own -- I was pretty impressed with the taste of those and they're not loaded with sugar. I just look at the labels of everything I buy and try to do the best I can. There's really no way to avoid added sugars but I've cut way way down since I first started MFP.

Wow...
    I know it's sad but I guess I never really payed attention to sugars, just calories and lately carbs and protein. It's interested though. If you find any articles or any other interesting information on this, please feel free to share because I'd love to know more about it!
  • debwaid
    Options

Wow...
    I know it's sad but I guess I never really payed attention to sugars, just calories and lately carbs and protein. It's interested though. If you find any articles or any other interesting information on this, please feel free to share because I'd love to know more about it!

Steno, you are right the homemade bars are really pretty good and knowing that are so much better for you than what you can buy in the store is an added bonus! I made up 3 batches to bring with me on my long weekend trip back home to visit family and friends! A great way to have a healthy snack while on the road!! Fitgirl, I was in a monthly challenge and for one week we had to track sodium!! Just like sugar, there's so much of it if you aren't paying attention! It all goes back to eating natural, unprocessed food! What's great is that we are all continuing to learn on a daily basis!!
  • teener009
    teener009 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Fitgirl -- where is your calorie calculator? I would like to see this.
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    It's under the title called "calorie calculator".
    :laugh:

Did you end up finding it??
    If not, I'll post a link here.