Prior to Starting Marathon Training Advice Please!

Options
VeggieKelli
VeggieKelli Posts: 232 Member
Hey guys, so I have about 3 months before I have to start officially training for the Portland Marathon (it will be my first). Of course I run about 5 days a week and am working on mileage and sprints, I just would love to hear how others have prepared for the actual training. I'm still a slow pace (11 min) for the long runs, especially anything over 6, so I'm doing sprints as well. Mostly just looking for general conditioning advice or crosstraining suggestions!

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    The more base miles you bring into your 18 (?) week training program the better. I'd run some half marathons between now and then if possible.

Also, you can get ahead of your schedule. That is to say of your long run up to 12 or 13 miles (for example), you wouldn't bring it back down to start a training program. You would leave it long(er) until the training program catches up to your level of fitness.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Im currently working through a Hal Higdon plan. before i started, i started doing his spring training routine. Its a twelve week plan and its based on speed. He recommends doing this before going into one of his full training plans. It was a good plan all in all although some of the LSRs could have been a bit longer, as Arc says, it doesnt hurt to get ahead of the game
  • VeggieKelli
    Options
    That's awesome, I'll have to go find that plan! And thank you both for the advice!
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first half in June and my first full in October using Jeff Galloway's guide. From what I can gather, what's most important is to listen to your body and not feel like you have to stick like glue to a certain training plan. What I like about Galloway's training is that you do more than your race. For me that will be a huge help because I might psyche myself out and figure that I can't finish.
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    Incorporate foam rolling after every single run. :-) It can help prevent injuries like ITBS that sometimes take out first time marathoners.
  • VeggieKelli
    Options
    Incorporate foam rolling after every single run. :-) It can help prevent injuries like ITBS that sometimes take out first time marathoners.

What's foam rolling?