No headphones??

Options
whirligig24
whirligig24 Posts: 14 Member
I am training for my first half in May and the race registration says that headphones are banned. This makes me incredibly nervous. Is this a typical rule for races? I've ran a few 5ks and there weren't any bans on them. I rely on my music for motivation and to keep me on pace. I guess I should start training without them, but I really don't want to. My music has almost become like a security blanket for me. Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    It's becoming more typical. The excuses given are

(a) safety - I highly doubt I'm going to get run over on the racecourse
    (b) encourage camaraderie, people talking to one another
    (c) prevent the advantage of some runners having coaching/pacing programs on their phones and others not.

Pam
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    While I haven't yet raced without them, I'm starting to train without... and I love it! It took some getting used to, but now I love the quiet time and time actually seems to go really fast without music! Not that I won't ever use them again, I love to jam out while I run, but I'm finding them optional which I never thought I would. Give it a try, you might find, like me... that you go faster without the music!!!

Good luck on your race! My next one I'm supposed to run with a friend and I doubt I'll wear earbuds...we'll be too busy chatting and enjoying the scenery!!!
  • lisaf2
    lisaf2 Posts: 10
    Options
    It's hard at first, but after a while I actually did start to prefer running without! You just gotta give it a chance and some time. I agree with Nikstergirl, you eventually do go faster without them. I find that you end up getting in your own groove and your own pace. It's easier to get lost in the run (in a good way) and zone out (which personally helps me to get through runs easier).

And yes, for larger organized races (even smaller ones), there is an overlying theme of no headphones.

Give it a try and good luck!
  • bnielson0322
    Options
    This is becoming the norm it seems - for several reasons - your safety being #1. Alot of races will allow you to purchase a small speaker that you can hook onto your clothing and play your Ipod thru that. I have seen a lot of people doing that.
  • danipals
    danipals Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I still use them when I train alone but luckily I am running the race with a friend and we chat through all of our runs at this point. I know they have had two races around here in the last few years that they ended early due to heat/humidity becoming dangerous and people didn't hear the call to clear the course due to their headphones. I know with my iPhone I can just play the music through the speakers and put it in arm band. Can you do this with your phone??
  • SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    So...In the registration for the half I will be running..It says they RECOMMEND I do not wear headphones so I can hear other runners. I think I will start out without them and put them in later on when people space out.
  • ktweldon3
    ktweldon3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've started putting just the right earbud in, leaving the left out, when I do my long runs on the weekend with the group. That way I still get my tunes, but can catch any converstions too! I've also noticed a few runs in the midwest are changing their rules to allow them. Good Luck on your run!
  • enchantedeskape
    Options
    The half I registered for says they RECOMMEND not having headphones either...now part of our course is not closed off...we will be running along a bridge and some streets with cars driving by. That's the reason they say you shouldn't wear them.

My first 5K was without tunes. I missed them occasionally, but I actually enjoyed the run. I was more aware of my surroundings & I ran MUCH faster than normal!

I've started doing a few runs w/o music. It's quite soothing. Give it a try!!
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    The race I ran today had a ban on headphones- actually, there is one running group in the town pretty much in control of all of our races and so there is a ban for all of them.

I was nervous about it at first, but during the race I didn't even think about music- it was the atmosphere and hearing other people coming up behind me instead, which I think is better.

That being said, two girls that started out in front of me each had an earbud in their ear and no one said anything to them (and this race was pretty small- 300ish people).
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I've started putting just the right earbud in, leaving the left out, when I do my long runs on the weekend with the group. That way I still get my tunes, but can catch any converstions too! I've also noticed a few runs in the midwest are changing their rules to allow them. Good Luck on your run!

I do this when I run alone so I can hear cars, people, etc coming up behind me or beside me.

As for races, I completely understand why they recommend not wearing them or banning them. Safety being the number one reason.

Personally, I prefer to run without my music when running with friends or in races. I love to hear bits and pieces of conversations as I pass people (or they pass me). Sometimes those little bits are quite amusing since you don't hear full the conversations! :happy:
  • DianaBall
    DianaBall Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Most races don't care if you have the headphones if you are not a contender to win. I have ran several half marathons that say no headphones but unless you are a frontrunner they don't bother you about it.