A 10% more in march challenge

Options
there doesn't appear to have been a challenge up here for a while so who is up for a '10%' more challenge?

Could be 10% more lengths, or faster, or more of your hardest stroke in your mix, or more sessions... You choose!

I will be going for 10% more lengths in the time I get to swim (usually 30 mins) and including 10% more front crawl ...

Any takers?

Replies

• lucor001
    Options
    I'm game - that's what I'm doing right now anyway. I'm trying to fit more laps into an hour. Currently I can do 2100 yds in an hour, so I'll aim to get to ~2350yds by the end of March in the same hour.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I am in. I swim in the sea and am not sure of my distance although I do strive to go further in the same time. I probably only did max 10 days in Feb, but want to set my goal for 15 days in March - I know that is 50% more but I need a decent goal to strive for.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Well I am going about half your speed luco001! I just logged my 1 march swim (30 mins duringy daughter's lesson) and i did 16x33m, a jumble of 8 breast, 2 free, 2 back and the remainder drill (legs for free, fly and back and arms only back). Ie 50/50 % breastc/ other. Overall it averages 5.6 mins for 100m, which is not exactly going to qualify me for the Olympics...!!

So my firstcgoal is much faster (measured to the same routine) and also another swim that is 40 %/ 60% breast/other - ie swim for 30 mins alternating breast/free/back lengths. I am not confident with my free sobthis is a big one for me...

Good luck with yours both of you - and any other joiners - keep in touch with how it's going!
  • naffito
    naffito Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'll go for 10% increase on my longest swim
    I usually do 1/2 to 1 mile a night Monday -Wednesday and Thursday's 100 x25m so I'll up that to 110 x 25m
    Mines all breast stroke. And I keep my head out the water, because i hate getting my face wet. So it takes me ages.
  • fitswimmer09
    Options
    Just joined this group today and I'm in! Swam for 40 minutes today and I want to get up to an hour per workout, then start working on getting in more yardage in that hour. Back in the day I did 3000 yards a day, 4-5 days a week and that's my real goal.
  • lucor001
    lucor001 Posts: 17
    Options
    Now 1 week in :) - I only had time for my standard 2000 yds today, but I was down to about 55 minutes, so extrapolating to an hour that's ~200 yards more or 2200 total in an hour. Or to add even more math that's 100/250 or 40% there! That last 60% will be hard, but I suspect I'll "cheat" near the end of the month and just swim the extra distance needed to get my goal even if it takes longer than an hour :).

gentlygently: great job on your speed! That's faster than most people out there! Keep it up and I'm sure you'll move faster every day.
  • gentlygently
    Options
    My progress report so far? Well I think it's getting a bit faster (I am saving timing it til the end of the month) - certainly on bAck, possibly on breast as i can feel the arm pull better and entertainingly on butterfly (I can do about 8 full strokes now...! Buy the legs only is getting more proficient I think).

But the doing more front crawl is certainly a 'mind over matter' challenge for me. I have been doing 'catch ups'. Any other front crawl exercises people like?

And if you are trying to get more power into your breast stroke what do you think about? (my basic stroke shape/technique is good just not very powerful/fast) I have been doing some arms or legs only laps here too...

I should be able to get to the pool one more time a week now...

Thanks!
  • slainnz
    slainnz Posts: 75
    Options
    Ive just started a new technique for breaststoke, think its called the glide? You use all the force with your legs as your main 'power' keep your arms in front like a glide then pull back when your just coming up for air (google it!) i cut down my length speed from 45sec to 30sec in 2 days. I only get 1/2 hour swim in 3 mornings a week then i do 1 big one for an hour currently doing 1000m 30min & 2000 60min just using breaststroke, really need to work on front crawl just dont seem to be able to get my breathing both sides right!
  • gentlygently
    Options
    Hope you've all been doing ok with your challenges...

I did my speed/distance repeat timing today - and I was 9% faster. So not quite that magic 10 % but close enough!

Will be doing my other personal challenge test on Friday ....
  • lucor001
    Options
    I'm currently not quite there, about 7% over the beginning of the month. I'm going to try to push for it on Friday and see if I can still eek it in before the end of the month :).
  • gentlygently
    Options
    Hope your Friday swim went well lucor001 !

Mine was pleasing - I hit my stroke mix target, and more lengths too (though still nothing to boast about !).

But the thing that pleased me most us that I think I have cracked my front crawl problem - did a lot if googling knowing this personal challenge was coming up and tried out a few new ideas. The one that really worked for me was to breathe more often but still on an alternating pattern (2,2,2,3,2,2,2,3 etc). No more hyperventilation/panic - as long as I kept the pace slow. But I can work on that...
  • lucor001
    Options
    Great work!

I just got into work and had to post :) - I made it, with 7 seconds to spare (2350 in 1 hour). Not only that, but I had energy left so I kept going and ultimately swam 66 laps (2 swimmer's miles) in 1 hour 27 minutes - a personal best for most yards swam in a day (2350 would have been that record)! I'll probably fall asleep at my desk in 4 hours, but that's ok :).

Great challenge, glad I could be a part of it!
  • gentlygently
    Options
    Pleased it worked for you too! Congrats!