I have been feeling horrible lately

Options
jadedone
jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
I hadn't really had many hypo symptoms until approximately the last 4 weeks. It is horrible. I have been unable to concentrate, having night sweats, my skin is super dry, and I have been exhausted lately! New labs tests and doctors appointment next week. OK just wanted to vent.

Replies

• PrairieRoseNE
    Options
    It's ok to vent :) That's what this support group is for!

Sorry you're feeling yuck! ((HUGS)) Been there & done that.

My advice is to become really educated about hypothyroidism - I've discovered you have to be a strong advocate for yourself and not let Drs. dismiss your symptoms as other "women's issues", such as menopause or depression or whatever else they think we IMAGINE that we have.

Do your homework so you understand the whole scope of thryoid disease. I just started reading a new book called the Thryoid Diet - I'm hoping I can find some helpful advice on ways to help manage my Thryoid AND still lose weight.
    There's also lots of great websites devoted to Thryoid issues.

I just had blood work done yesterday with sore arms to prove it as she had to poke several times to find a good vein :(

When I was diagnosed in Nov 2011 with Hypo, my TSH numbers were 30.7. Today's numbers are 6.08 which is a significant improvement. I take a 25 mg dose of Levothyroxine each night - (I find it works better overnight, vs taking first thing in the AM)

I still seem to be stuck on a weight loss plateau, but slowly I think I'm getting my energy back.

Wishing you good luck on your journey - Be Strong and Take Control - it's the first step!!

((HUGS))
    ~~Prairie Rose
  • hope2webb
    Options
    You can vent all you want! I have been feeling horrible lately myself (can't get to doc for a another month or so) I have been learning alot since coming to this forum..I have changed the time of day I take my pill...And right now I am confused as to if everything I have been going thru is/was PMS or my thyroid or a combonation of both (which makes me a ticking time bomb...haha) Can't wait to see my dr.!
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Hey! We are kings and queens of venting!! :grumble:
    Since I've transitioned to Armour, and a good Naturopath, I have figured out that my vertigo, ears ringing and migraines happen when I am in a Hashimoto attack -- my TSH and Antibodies go very high and my T3/T4 go very low. All these years, the doctors told me I had nerve damage in my ears or meniere's disease -- but we were able to actually test me as I was having these symptoms and nailed it to my thyroid!

that's why Stop The Thyroid Madness is the largest patient revolt in history -- hypothyroid people are sick of being treated for their lab tests and not their symptoms.

So, be an advocate for yourself and tell the doctor that you want him to help you to eliminate (totally) your symptoms.

Terri
  • PrairieRoseNE
    Options
    Since I've transitioned to Armour, and a good Naturopath, I have figured out that my vertigo, ears ringing and migraines happen when I am in a Hashimoto attack -- my TSH and Antibodies go very high and my T3/T4 go very low. All these years, the doctors told me I had nerve damage in my ears or meniere's disease -- but we were able to actually test me as I was having these symptoms and nailed it to my thyroid!

that's why Stop The Thyroid Madness is the largest patient revolt in history -- hypothyroid people are sick of being treated for their lab tests and not their symptoms.

So, be an advocate for yourself and tell the doctor that you want him to help you to eliminate (totally) your symptoms.

Terri

OMG - I am astounded to find out the thyroid could be connected to vertigo issues!!!! My Mom suffers terribly from bouts of vertigo and the inner ear ringing stuff and she has been diagnosed with hypo. Now it makes sense.

I occasionally get the migraines - but always attributed it to T.O.M. (woman's time of month) Now I wonder if it's because of my thyroid?? (I've been diagnosed as Hypo also)

Gonna go read alot more about Hashimoto and see how it relates to me and my symptoms!

Thanks for the info :)
    ~~PR
  • jadedone
    Options
    Lab tests and doctors appointment next week. Cross your fingers.
  • tecallahan
    Options

Fingers and toes crossed!
  • hope2webb
    hope2webb Posts: 421
    Options

Good Luck!!!!!
  • tecallahan
    Options

Terri

OMG - I am astounded to find out the thyroid could be connected to vertigo issues!!!! My Mom suffers terribly from bouts of vertigo and the inner ear ringing stuff and she has been diagnosed with hypo. Now it makes sense.

I occasionally get the migraines - but always attributed it to T.O.M. (woman's time of month) Now I wonder if it's because of my thyroid?? (I've been diagnosed as Hypo also)

Gonna go read alot more about Hashimoto and see how it relates to me and my symptoms!

Thanks for the info :)
    ~~PR

Yep - it makes perfect sense to me now, but it's been a long journey of 15 years of all kinds of crazy symptoms.
    Hashi attacks also make my blood pressure swing high and then low. I have to monitor my bp a few times a day to figure out if I have to take bp meds or not. But how crazy is it that my TSH went to 20.71 almost overnight???

You know that Hashi is an autoimmune disease -- antibodies can go low for a while and you can start to feel better, but then they unexpectedly can flare up and cause sudden and varied symptoms.

I don't blame all of my weight issues on my thyroid -- but I do blame my inability to lose weight when eating clean, low calorie and exercising. I just don't blame it for getting up to the weight I did -- that was just me eating. The best advice I can give to hypo/hashi people is to get control of your diet and appetite when you are young -- don't wait because after menopause getting it off will be your worst nightmare. Eat clean - get the processed, high carb, high sodium foods out of your kitchen. You may be eating only 1200 calories a day, but if it is processed food you are not giving your body the nutrition that it needs -- your body will defend itself by packing the fat on your belly, hips, thighs and butt!! There are many young women on this forum -- please don't wait to get your eating under control.
  • jadedone
    Options

I don't blame all of my weight issues on my thyroid -- but I do blame my inability to lose weight when eating clean, low calorie and exercising. I just don't blame it for getting up to the weight I did -- that was just me eating. The best advice I can give to hypo/hashi people is to get control of your diet and appetite when you are young -- don't wait because after menopause getting it off will be your worst nightmare. Eat clean - get the processed, high carb, high sodium foods out of your kitchen. You may be eating only 1200 calories a day, but if it is processed food you are not giving your body the nutrition that it needs -- your body will defend itself by packing the fat on your belly, hips, thighs and butt!! There are many young women on this forum -- please don't wait to get your eating under control.

I wish I would have got mine checked out sooner. There was some "worry" in my 20s but I did not have insurance consistently, and never confirmed if there was an issue.....
  • PrairieRoseNE
    Options

I wish I would have got mine checked out sooner. There was some "worry" in my 20s but I did not have insurance consistently, and never confirmed if there was an issue.....

I try to eat clean - don't always accomplish it - but I try. I was also diagnosed with high blood pressure - so I try to follow a low sodium diet. One of my high bp meds is a diuretic, so that helps to keep me from retaining fluid. The BP is alot better - thanks mostly to 30-45 minutes of walking everyday outdoors - rain or shine! I also pop in exercise dvds at home for those times I can't get outdoors. My job requires me to be on my feet alot and I get a fair amount of steps in during the day, which help. I can't wait for warmer weather (I live in Nebraska - cold winters!!!) so I can get back to jogging outdoors - I don't jog outdoors in the wintertime - too hazardous LOL Jogging really helped me lose the fat this past summer - I figure if I can maintain my weight loss thru the winter - I'll really hit the roads hard this summer and finish getting rid of these last 40 lbs.

Thanks for all the great advice re: hypo and Hashi's :)
  • jadedone
    Options
    WOW! My TSH levels went from 1.7 to 3.5 in my last test. No wonder I felt so awful. Upping the synthroid to 125, we will see if it works. Honestly, things had been pretty good for about a year.
  • tecallahan
    Options
    When I was on Synthroid (15 years), I had just about every dosage they had. I had 250 mcg, 200 mcg, 175 mcg, 150 mcg, 137 mcg, 100 mcg and 88 mcg. I kept all the bottles in a drawer. Every few months, had my lab work and the dosage yo-yo'd up and down and all around. It was nuts. At one point, my TSH went to 143 -- I could not even put one foot in front of the other. That was the time I got the 250 mcg.

Never in all those years did any doctors tell me I had Hashimoto. No doctor ever told me to avoid gluten and soy and raw cruciferous vegetables. I was literally in hypo hell for 15 years.

I don't know if Synthroid does that to everyone, but it is "no bueno" for me!! I am so happy to be on Armour and to have my Naturopath who gives me guidance and advice about how to feel better with hypo/hashi.

Terri