Exercise on Night shift

Options
DeanneKB
DeanneKB Posts: 4 Member
Hey, just joined this group. I work 12 hour shifts, switching from days and nights. On days I work nights I really need to sleep and find it very hard to get a work out in. So on a weekend of night shifts (3 nights) I don't work out at all. This is when staying within my daily calorie intake is a challenge.

Just saying that I work hard on day shift and days off but I'm not hard on myself for not working out on night shifts. I believe in working hard but being realistic is healthy too!

I operate a 240 ton haul truck in an iron ore mine.. I need my sleep! Just saying!

Anyone struggle with night shift?

Replies

• overthehill4567
    overthehill4567 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I always struggle with nights, both in staying within calories and exercise. I am happy if I can stay within my calories....forget about working out! I figure that trying to do both when my mind & body is under the stress is too much & something will give so I just focus on my calories.
    Some of the younger girls that I work with during their coffee/dinner breaks do the stairs in the building, or run up & down the parking garage ramps (5 floors) however I am happy that I can function on night shift.

Good Luck
  • dwe9434
    dwe9434 Posts: 2
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts, from 6 to 6, 28 day rotation. My work is a lot of sitting, but have to be ready to get busy if need be. I only get about 5 hours of sleep when working nights and when I wake up I feel like a sombie and think that by eating, especially sweats, that it will make me feel better. All it does is make me feel worse. Any encouriging words?
  • Laffinhippiegurl
    Laffinhippiegurl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I work a rotating 6 week shift. Every week I work a different shift with a different number of hours. I have been doing shift work for over 6 years. I understand the lack of sleep and the constant cravings for sweets and junk food. Ice cream is my favorite. I have found the frozen greek yogurt by Healthy Choice is really good. I always bring a variety of snacks to work. Our fridge and my locker always has something I can munch on. If I eat everything, than I eat everything. If not, then it will be there tomorrow. But I always have multiple options depending on what I want.

I started on Labor Day and have been doing really good. I don't deny myself anything I really want, just moderate my intake. I'm very honest on my diary. The only one I would be cheating is me. I have gone wheat free and almost completely caffeine free. The only caffeine I take in is in my multivitamin.