I had RY Gastric Bypass on December 12, 2011

Options
I recently had Gastric Bypass on 12/11/2011. I have lost 69.2 pounds as of today, and feel fantastic! I have been very blessed and not run into the trials and tribulations that I see a lot of people talking about. I got "nauseous" twice. I think I basically tried to drink my thick protein drink too soon after eating. Even though I waitied the recommended 30 minutes. If I eat meat, it fills me up more quickly than beans or cheese. I find that this seems to be a trial and error type process. Nothing has gotten "stuck", and I don't have an issue with gas pain. I haven't run into any foods that were intolerable either... I did have the "what the hell have I done" feeling for the 2 days after surgery. But never since then... I do have trouble when eating out with others... the breads, the appetizers, the salads. I try to use conversation as a distraction, but it can be really hard to deal with. And don't get me started on the servers... LOL How about the looks on their faces when I say i don't want anything to drink... not even water. I think this is the best thing I have ever done, and probably saved my life, as I was 300 + pounds prior.

Has anyone else had results like this? I get hungry... it doesn't feel the same as before, but I can tell when I need to eat. I also was able to move quickly through the food stages and have been on regular food for some time. I am just very excited! I love to get on the scale and see the results daily! :love:

Replies

• SCUBAMomofTwo
    Options
    I recently had Gastric Bypass on 12/11/2011. I have lost 69.2 pounds as of today, and feel fantastic! I have been very blessed and not run into the trials and tribulations that I see a lot of people talking about. I got "nauseous" twice. I think I basically tried to drink my thick protein drink too soon after eating. Even though I waitied the recommended 30 minutes. If I eat meat, it fills me up more quickly than beans or cheese. I find that this seems to be a trial and error type process. Nothing has gotten "stuck", and I don't have an issue with gas pain. I haven't run into any foods that were intolerable either... I did have the "what the hell have I done" feeling for the 2 days after surgery. But never since then... I do have trouble when eating out with others... the breads, the appetizers, the salads. I try to use conversation as a distraction, but it can be really hard to deal with. And don't get me started on the servers... LOL How about the looks on their faces when I say i don't want anything to drink... not even water. I think this is the best thing I have ever done, and probably saved my life, as I was 300 + pounds prior.

Has anyone else had results like this? I get hungry... it doesn't feel the same as before, but I can tell when I need to eat. I also was able to move quickly through the food stages and have been on regular food for some time. I am just very excited! I love to get on the scale and see the results daily! :love:

Good for you for taking this important step.

I had my surgery over ten years ago and have been able to maintain my 100+ pound weight loss pretty well...with a few "bumps" where I tried to forget I had surgery and THOUGHT I could eat like a normal person. Three times I did this and three times I gained from 20-30 pounds! But the good thing about THAT is that I am here to tell you REGAINS DO NOT HAVE TO BE PERMANENT!! I am currently losing the 20 pounds I put on since last summer....really, most of it since Thanksgiving when for SOME REASON I gave myself permission to eat candy cane hershey's kisses at the rate of 1/2 bag per day!!

My early post op life sounds much like yours; no real problems and I never (even today) feel "hunger" until I get to the shaky stage. My husband is actually the one who usually knows I need to be fed FIRST because evidently I get very crabby! I have had some complications (internal hernia; bowel obstruction) that required surgical correction twice; however, even with that, I am still greatful to have had the surgery.

I find being in touch with a support group, whether in person or online, to be my number ONE motivator to staying on track; it keeps me accountable and reminds me DAILY that while I can eat like a normal person I really SHOULDN'T because I am in treatment for my chronic disease which is obesity. Perhaps hanging out here will do that for you; otherwise, there are other online support message boards, like obesityhelp.

Good luck!
  • Toothfairyy
    Toothfairyy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to read both of your post , I am scheduled for Bypass on March 7. I had my pre op on Feb 15.I am nervous and excited at the same time. At my highest I was 377 I'm 350 now and trying to get ready for my Pre Diet the Liquid . Any suggestions I would love on how to make it though the pre liquid part.Liquids start on Feb 22. I cant wait. Last year I lost 40 lbs so I brought myself a Harley I am so looking forward to some new gear.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    So happy for you!! I went from 340 to 140 and have maintained for over 2 years now. Best decision I ever made for myself. No issues and I have my life back. I get hungry all the time, but I eat 6-7 small meals a day which takes care of the hunger.

I look forward to following your journey. If you have any questions just ask.
  • Toothfairyy
    Options
    So happy for you!! I went from 340 to 140 and have maintained for over 2 years now. Best decision I ever made for myself. No issues and I have my life back. I get hungry all the time, but I eat 6-7 small meals a day which takes care of the hunger.

I look forward to following your journey. If you have any questions just ask.
    Thanks so much Any suggestions on how to do the liquid pre surgery diet? and what protien shakes do u use now?
  • JeanineLaymon1970
    JeanineLaymon1970 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The liquid diet, you just have to fight through!!!!!!

Protein:

Pro Joe Chai Tea - 20 grams protein 9.5 oz 120 cal, 5 carbs
    twice a day
    then
    Pure Protein Frosted Chocolate - 23 grams protein 120 cal, 12 oz

Unjury protein is good too, but those two are my favorites!!
  • Mgray1024
    Mgray1024 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Jeanine,

I had my surgery on August 25, 2010....Just a couple of pointers.....When going out to restaurants, I just get a glass of water. It prevents them from continuing to ask if you want anything to drink. In the beginning I didn't order drinks either but then they kept coming back to my table asking "Are you sure you wouldn't like anything to drink?". Water is usually free so I just tell them to bring me a glass..

It's hard to find things at restaurants but I've found if you stick to grilled fish and soups your usually going to be okay. I'll get steak sometimes from the kids menus but the veggies always scare me because you never know how they cooked them. When it comes to fast food restaurants, Wendy's chili is good...and Long John Silvers has a great Grilled Tilapia.

I'm down 111lbs with about 35 left to go. It's hard work....but you can do it!!!!
  • Toothfairyy
    Options
    Had my Gastric Bypass on March 7 , I'm 6 days out and doing pretty good. I have on 1 week post op tomorrow. So I'm not starving but i do want food. Still in liquids . Cant wait for some soft food lol. The lbs are dropping off it is exciting
  • SCUBAMomofTwo
    Options
    Had my Gastric Bypass on March 7 , I'm 6 days out and doing pretty good. I have on 1 week post op tomorrow. So I'm not starving but i do want food. Still in liquids . Cant wait for some soft food lol. The lbs are dropping off it is exciting

I was wondering how you did, Toothfairy! Glad to hear you are all done and recovering well.
  • Toothfairyy
    Options
    Today was 1 wk since my surgery I'm doing good , but this was the first food dat I had 2 tb cottage cheese, 2 tb seafood salad, 1 c. clam chowder broth OMG it was all so good but I was STUFFED so tomarrow I'll take it easy.