Started March 1st - Questions

Options
Hi, all.

Just wanted to check in to introduce myself - I'm Lauren. I just started NRoL4W on Thursday. I'm 27, 5'8 and I have about 40 pounds above a healthy weight. I've been logging my food on MFP seriously since January, though I've been around for a while. I've been doing very little exercise - a walk here and there, a cardiopump class once a week. I've never lifted weights before. About 10 years ago, my mom was diagnosed with osteoporosis (she was 44 then) and I saw her loose a ton of weight and get into great shape in a short amount of time just by lifting weights and making some small adjustments to her diet.

I am working out at home (at my parents' house, not mine) and I have most of the necessary equipment, at least for right now.

I completed workout 1A on Thursday. I substituted bent over rows and instead of the prone jackknife, I did reverse crunches. I do not have the core strength (or coordination) to do prone jackknifes yet. Is this an okay substitution?

On Saturday, I completed workout 1B, which I found to be tougher. Both routines have gone quickly - about 20 - 25 minutes, which seems short to me. I am sure they will get longer as I figure out what weights I should be lifting and as I increase them.

I've been spending about 15 minutes after the workouts either riding the stationary bike (with light effort), or walking 1 mile with a Leslie Sansone tape, just as a cool down.

I do have a question about protein. I want to get my food intake under control and cut back on sugars and carbs to promote weight loss. I'm unsure about protein powder and want to do a little more investigating and talking before I commit to buying any. My husband and I have been eating a lot of whole foods for the past few months, cutting out processed stuff and unnatural ingredients. Can I achieve the same results by getting the protein from more natural sources? Or, is that just too difficult to do? Would love to hear what's worked for you.

I know I've rambled a bit, but I thank you for reading. Hopefully I'll be able to have some accountability here. Thanks for reading!

Replies

• sadiesimp
    sadiesimp Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    HEY Lauren :)

I'm on stage 3 right now and this program rocks my world like nothing else ever has. Seriously.

-reverse crunches are a good sub for the jackknifes but also try some planks too as a sub

-In stage 2, some cardio intervals are added at the end of the workout and you are right...they start to take A LOT longer than 25 minutes to complete.

-protein powder freaked me out before doing this program and I prefer to get it from foods but I just don't eat a lot of meat in general. They suggest at least to do a protein shake after the workouts if nothing else and I do think that has really helped me in this process :). But I've really had to try hard to up my protein foods too....eating more fish, chicken, eggs, greek yogurt, etc
  • auntlooloo
    Options
    Thanks, Sadie! You're awesome. I appreciate the reply and I'm glad to see you're doing it too! So far, I really like it! I'm sure I'll have more questions to come. . .bear with me.

I'm excited to work out tomorrow, but I know it's going to kill me - lowering myself onto the toilet, into the car, etc has been quite painful today! But, I even kind of like that ;)
  • auntlooloo
    Options
    PS - upon rereading my post, I realized that I made some glaring errors in mechanics and grammar. I wouldn't care if it was anyone but you! Forgive me. Please know that your degree is still valid. Haha.
  • sadiesimp
    sadiesimp Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    hahahah no judgement here! I have officially 'retired' from the English teaching world anyway :)
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I think your subs are good.

Re: protein. I make a protein smoothie nearly every day and sneak in several fruits and veggies along with protein powder and it's absolutely delicious. Another idea would be protein bars. And thirdly yes u can eat regular food. Greek yogurt is a great source too.
  • auntlooloo
    Options
    Thank you, Tara! I appreciate your helpful suggestions. :smile: