Low Gi plan

Options
Meloonie
Meloonie Posts: 144 Member
This week I decided I would do a full week of 'proper' low gi dieting. I have been using Rick Gallops books and so have only been eating from the green sections for phase one, and finding it ok until yesterday. I went out with a friend shopping and we stopped for lunch. It suddenly occurred to me that I had absolutely no idea what to eat whilst I was out! We opted for Nandos chicken and so I had a chicken pitta with salad, and a side of chips (oops!) and a diet coke.

I didnt really feel bad after that but I did feel bad when I then came home and had hot dogs as I promised my son we would and then finished the day of with 4 mini creme eggs! I felt so proud of myself for not having any sugar, refined carbs or potatoes for nearly a week and now I feel a bit like my results may affected. I feel quite upset with myself as I really wanted to give it a whole week to get a true idea of how low gi eating would help me lose weight, and I could have just gained back what I lost!

I must admit I was craving sugar and potatoes like you wouldn't believe, so my question is does that urge/craving ever go away? Will I stop wanting those foods eventually? Did anyone else stuggle to adjust to this new way of living?

Any tips or advice would be truly appreciated.

Replies

• sazzet
    sazzet Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've been on the low GI diet for 40 days and my cravings are gone. But I didn't do what you did, which is just eat vegetables for a week. I have been eating whatever is Low glycemic, which includes lentil soup, salads with avocados and topped with crushed nuts. low glycemic fruits. I froze bananas and strawberries and then put them in the blender which turned out like an ice cream. I also eat rice noodles and make like a stir fry. I am trying to create new dishes to make it interesting. I stopped eating red meat and I eat fish and chicken breasts. The only fat I use for cooking and in my salads is olive oil. I have been losing an average of 2 pounds per week. This diet or style of life really works for me and I feel great. I will start looking for recipes like oatmeal and peanut butter cookies, but I don't want to rush into it. I don't exercise either but I feel the difference in my clothes.

I hope it works for you too. Good luck.

If you have any questions or would like to share recipes, I log on MFP everyday.
  • justplainoleanne
    justplainoleanne Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm with sazzet on this one. Only veggies for a week? That isn't enough to keep you going. I have a different book that I use. I eat veggies, fruits, meats and some carbs. I really don't have any cravings either. When you deny yourself something your body needs, the cravings will never go away. I have lost a little over a pound a week for the last four weeks. My clothes are a lot looser as well. Find a different book.
  • Meloonie
    Options

If you have any questions or would like to share recipes, I log on MFP everyday.

I would love to share some recipes! I have been having lots of good stuff, fruit, avocados, olive oil, small new potatoes (but only 2 or 3) wholewheat pasta etc and I've really enjoyed it, I just have such a sweet tooth its unreal! I did make some low gi cookies made with white kidney beans which were nice too.

I think its probably where I didnt prepare for going out and eating, I didnt think ahead od time about what I could have and now I kinda feel as though I've fallen off the wagon as it were and struggling to get back on! I was formerly a slimming world member and consultant and so I've been doing that 'diet' for about 3 years before being diagnosed with PCOS, so I think its also a bit of trying to get my head around the fact that I can have things that I wouldn't have had before. Thats alot more difficult than I thought it would be.
  • McGinity2010
    McGinity2010 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What book are you using
  • Meloonie
    Options
    I have been using Rick Gallops books. Are there any you would recommend?
  • Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It's a while since I've been to Nandos but I usually have chicken with the couscous salad which is reasonably low GI.

I feel like I have read lots of low GI/GL books since the beginning of the year and I am tending to use the bits that suit me from each. I quite like Nigel Denby's books but he tends to be a bit vague about portion sizes. I have also borrowed Patrick Holford's Easy GL diet from the library but only flicked through it so far.