Some issues with the program

Options
Hi all, I'm new to MFP as well as just started Body Revolution this past Monday. Today's 2 cardios, phew.

I'm wondering if any of you can give me some feedback on some issues I'm having with the program?

1. I get up at 6.15am and want to have my workout done by 7am. Jiliian says to eat 1 hour before working out -- and I really do have to eat something otherwise I feel horrible -- but what and when? I really don't want to get up at 5.30 to eat. The muffin/carb options do not appeal to me as I just get ravenously hungry with carbs. And protein option is a bit too heavy on my tummy to workout right away. I'm guessing the best thing would be a few spoonfuls of yogurt which is what I've been doing. But is there a better option?

2. Does anyone else think her cooldown is horribly inadequate? Workout 1 wasn't too bad, but Workout 2 was really bad - I had tight hamstrings for 4 days and by the time I had to repeat workout 2 on Thursday, I couldn't really get into the moves low enough to feel like I was getting a decent workout. I'm just adding a few extra stretches to the mix for myself, but thought I'd put it out there and see if anyone else is having the same issue.

3. The resistance cable isn't great - what are other good options? By the time I get them wrapped just right around my feet, the exercise is over. :laugh:

4. Is anyone else finding it hard to only have the one snack? Come 10:30am I am absolutely STARVING and cannot make it until lunch. I've had to divide my snack from after lunch and eat it before and after lunch but I'm still hungry. I'm worried that not following the program to a T is jeopardizing my results.

My other 'issue' is with MFP. When I add exercise to my diary it updates my caloric daily needs by the amount of exercise, saying I've earned an extra --- calories. From what I understand, Jillian wants you sticking to 1200 +/- calories per day AND do the exercise. Are you supposed to eat back these calories you've used up during exercise? It's confusing.

Other than that, I'm really enjoying this program. I've done Jillian's other workouts and by far this is most motivating for me! :wink:

Replies

• MamaMizzle
    MamaMizzle Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    1. I get up just before 6am and start working out right away. I think it's a guideline and not something that is mandatory. Obviously, this program will be hard to follow to a tee. Don't stress yourself and just give it your all, to the best of your ability. What about a half serving of almonds? Those are healthy and not THAT many calories.

2. I am not a fan of any kind of cooldown because I just want to be done with my workout, but I do it anyways because I know it's important. I did notice that her cooldowns are rather short (but I like it)

3. I know, the resistance cable is ridiculous. I struggle with it as well. Oh well, practice makes perfect, right? : /

4. I know, I actually can't believe she says no midmorning snack. That goes against everything I have heard and read regarding diets. It is very hard and I do have a little midmorning snack.

I use to eat back my exercise calories, but wasn't losing weight. I think just stick with her program and don't eat back your exercise calories.

I like her workouts as well! I just wish she had tastier recipes. I think I have only likes 3 out of 4.
  • theredcliche
    theredcliche Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    i usually workout without eating anything, but if i wake up hungry or feel like i won't get a good workout with eating, i eat a banana or some almonds. i stretch after the video stops because my hamstrings are so tight sometimes, too. i don't eat back my exercise calories on this program because as i see it, jillian's meal plan is a max of 1300 cals a day and she knows you are either going to be doing one workout a day or two during the kickstart, so your net cals are gonna be no more than 1300-cals burned. my resistance cable already broke (the plastic on the adjuster thing) so i went to walmart and got a $20 resistance cable set that you can combine up to 3 bands to make like a 25 lb resistance. it works much much better. i can't believe how crappy the quality of her cable is....
  • bewitched2
    Options
    Thanks so much for the responses. I do tend to stress about the smallest of details; but I just want this time to work.

Almonds are a great idea. It's funny, I used to be able to workout on an empty stomach no problem, but not for the past 2 years or so. I don't know what it is, it leaves me feeling completely worn out, light headed and nauseated.

Her recipes do leave something to be desired especially the kickstart plan -- which is what I've been doing this past week. Tomorrow, I'll start with the other recipes, but not too much appeals to me, to be honest.

Which recipes did you like, MamaMizzle?

I'm going to check out my local WM for a band/cable. I was using mine on Friday and thinking, this is just not going to hold up.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Just my opinions :)

1. I almost always exercise in the evening only but if I do exercise in the morning, I don't eat first. Not sure what to suggest since you feel lousy if you don't eat first. Maybe a banana with some yogurt?
    2. I've always been a pretty lazy cool-downer! lol.
    3. This is my firs time using a resistance cable and I'm not liking it much.... I'm hoping I get used to it... ?
    4. I eat 6 times per day. I'm not following that meal plan. It just isn't enough food for me. I usually eat about 1500-1600 calories. Of course, I expect a 1 lb per week loss, not 5 like she says in the workouts. :\ 1 is great for me ;)
    5. I don't really think 1200 calories is enough for ME. Especially if I'm exercising. MFP would have you set your goal to 1 lb per week, and eat all of your exercise calories. Jillian would have you eat just the 1200 period. I suppose it's up to each of us to find what works for us. :)

I'm enjoying the workouts too, so far! :) I can't wait to get to phase 2!!!!
    Hi all, I'm new to MFP as well as just started Body Revolution this past Monday. Today's 2 cardios, phew.

I'm wondering if any of you can give me some feedback on some issues I'm having with the program?

1. I get up at 6.15am and want to have my workout done by 7am. Jiliian says to eat 1 hour before working out -- and I really do have to eat something otherwise I feel horrible -- but what and when? I really don't want to get up at 5.30 to eat. The muffin/carb options do not appeal to me as I just get ravenously hungry with carbs. And protein option is a bit too heavy on my tummy to workout right away. I'm guessing the best thing would be a few spoonfuls of yogurt which is what I've been doing. But is there a better option?

2. Does anyone else think her cooldown is horribly inadequate? Workout 1 wasn't too bad, but Workout 2 was really bad - I had tight hamstrings for 4 days and by the time I had to repeat workout 2 on Thursday, I couldn't really get into the moves low enough to feel like I was getting a decent workout. I'm just adding a few extra stretches to the mix for myself, but thought I'd put it out there and see if anyone else is having the same issue.

3. The resistance cable isn't great - what are other good options? By the time I get them wrapped just right around my feet, the exercise is over. :laugh:

4. Is anyone else finding it hard to only have the one snack? Come 10:30am I am absolutely STARVING and cannot make it until lunch. I've had to divide my snack from after lunch and eat it before and after lunch but I'm still hungry. I'm worried that not following the program to a T is jeopardizing my results.

My other 'issue' is with MFP. When I add exercise to my diary it updates my caloric daily needs by the amount of exercise, saying I've earned an extra --- calories. From what I understand, Jillian wants you sticking to 1200 +/- calories per day AND do the exercise. Are you supposed to eat back these calories you've used up during exercise? It's confusing.

Other than that, I'm really enjoying this program. I've done Jillian's other workouts and by far this is most motivating for me! :wink:
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    1. I agree with the person who said just wake up at 6:15am and workout, don't worry about getting earlier. I think an orange or protein smoothie would be great. Maybe mix some berries or protein powder into your yogurt. Kashi Go Lean Crunch has soy protein powder, I mix that in yogurt with berries for breakfast most days.

2. Yes her cool downs are way too short, I always add more.

3. Do you have a resistance band? They have them at Target, usually sell 3 packs of different levels. I haven't gotten my package of the dvd's in the mail yet so I'm not sure if it would work.

4. Maybe try having the snack in the morning instead.

5. I think 1200 calories is way too low with working out. I personally will continue to eat 1400 net (I eat back my workout calories because I see better results this way). I also think it will be easier to keep this up for the long run rather than lose weight but just gain it back later if you eat thos workout calories.

Good luck! :)
  • bewitched2
    Options
    All great advice, thanks! It does seem like 1200 calories is low for me. I'm finding it difficult to stick to, that's for sure. I'm more in the 1400 - 1500 range.

I really am liking the workout so far! Her attitude is a nice change from her earlier videos (can't remember the one) where she came across as being a little too high on herself ("if you don't KNOW me, you should" type thing). :tongue:
  • EPhinn
    EPhinn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think sticking with the 1200 is for those with extreme weight loss. I don't have a ton to lose, so I'm at 1750 and I eat some of my exercise calories. The resistance band sucks. I hate it. I've been using bands for awhile, and this one is just so annoying. I get it wrapped, and then one side is too lax, so I re-wrap, then the move is over. So, it's pointless. I'm going to use one of the others I have.

I agree with others, just eat a little and workout, and you can always eat a little more after. I protein bar or something should be adequate. That's what I do sometimes if I don't feel like eating a bonafide meal.
  • ctlinj7
    ctlinj7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm only on Day 2 of the workout and can totally relate to the resistance band snafu, I finally got it wrapped and she's like stand up! I was like well ****. LOL
    My calories are set at 1480 per day and i try to eat back the calories. I was at 1200 cals for almost 3 months and lost about 3 lbs and then I upped the cals to 1480 and I have lost 15 lbs and feeling a lot better. I do do extra workouts on my own in addition to the DVD program.
    My feelings are if you are starving the am, eat a snack, that's your body telling you you need some fuel. In the first week it limits your fruit, but that's what i usually eat so you have the rest of the day to burn it off (sugars, etc)
    Just my thoughts, and good luck!
  • bewitched2
    Options
    Ok thanks for this, ctlind7 and EPhinn this gives me some hope! I've been eating between 1250 and 1350 or so calories and after 2 weeks, I have lost a grand total of ZERO. A big fat egg, GRRR. My constant yo-yo dieting has done a number on my metabolism. I'm going to try upping the calories and see if it makes a difference. I'm reading her Master Your Metabolism book and the companion cookbook and have noticed that many of the recipes in BR are in the MYM cookbook.