Insulin Pump & CGM

Options
Is anyone using a pump with CGM system? What do you think of it? I've had the Paradigm for a while but don't use the CGM part very often because I find it difficult to insert and just as difficult to keep it in. If you have one, where do you insert it? It's hard to find a spot where it's at least 2 inches away from the insulin cannula, isn't painful, doesn't bleed and isn't out of range for the pump to take readings. Then once I get it in, I've had it fall out in the middle of a workout because the adhesive isn't strong enough. I've tried using medical tape over it, but that irritates my skin. It's a great tool and I'd like to use it more often, but I need some new ideas.

Thanks!

Replies

• Jenna470
    Options
    I do not currently use a CGM yet but am extremely interested in learning more about it. I am scared to invest a lot of money into something else and not entirely sure if I will like it or not. I am excited about the new pumps coming out with all the new technology!
  • Nikorasu
    Options
    I've been using the CGM system with my Paradigm pump off and on for a couple of years. Overall I like it, but check to make sure your insurance co-pays don't cost too much on the sensor sets. I would have loved to use it continuously but couldn't afford it, so I would use it for a couple of weeks, then take a break. You can wear a sensor for more than one session, although it is not officially sanctioned. I'm on a new insurance plan, so hopefully I'll be able to use it continuously.

CGM is a great tool as long as you understand what it is for, trend data, rather than a specific blood glucose level. Never make the mistake of calculating a bolus off of your CGM reading! Always use the meter. Most of the time the calibration is pretty good, but sometimes your CGM says one thing and your meter says another. Trust the meter!

For butterfly0702's specific question, placement hasn't been an issue for me. I just alternate the sensor location as I do my infusion sets. The best for me are the waist (putting them lovehandles to good use) and the front belly area, which I usually reserve for the sensor rather than the infusion sets. That is because the sensor and your Paradigm need to be in the same vicinity (not quite line of sight, but close). Otherwise the RF signal will get blocked by your body. Depending upon the length of your infusion set tubing that may or may not be a problem. While I have experimented with different placement of the infusion sets, I haven't had a need to try other locations. If I did, however, I'd consider the top of the buttocks. You might check with insulinpumpers.org as I am sure some of the folks there will have some experiences to share.

I always put medical tape over my sensor. Try a couple of different brands and hopefully you'll find one that works. IV-3000 works well for me. One thing you might try is to change your medical tape every couple of days, or just put it on when you are exercising. The tape is not really necessary, but as you've noted it can be a real pain if you don't have it. You might also try just using some painter's or scotch tape over the sensor during your workout, as long as it will stick to your skin.

Hope this helps...
  • type1foodie
    Options
    I have a Medtronic Paradigm Pump and CGM, but at this moment I'm on Lantus. I get so frustrated with the pump/CGM sometimes. One day I love it, the next I hate it.

I'm considering trying a Dexcom CGM, many of my colleagues from Insulindependence have Dexcoms and love them. They are, in their opinion, more accurate and easier to calibrate as you do not have to be at a steady level in order to start the CGM.

When I wear the CGM I put it on my hips or stomach where I have the most fat, it just doesn't work very well other places for me.

Erin
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for the Animas Vibe to be FDA approved. An all in one infusion set/ CGM. That would be so much easier. I don't want 2 things attached to me at once.
  • SJWojo
    SJWojo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree ... I hate the idea of wearing a sensor and the cannula. I have heaard you can't rely on the sensor so you need to rely on your monitpr and that means pricking your finger so ... I'm not too sure I would even want a CGM. I have heard that Animas is developing an artificial pancreas that will detect a high and a lpw and deliver the insulin automatically. Now, that's what I am waiting for!
  • stevodreo
    stevodreo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    im currently using the dexcom cgm and love it love it love it! i use a skin adhesive called skin tack wipes and that does the trick for me. stays on through showers sweat and even swimming. oh and yeh i also cant wait for the animus vibe!!
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I am on the Medtronic Pardigm Pump and the Dexcom CGM - Tried the Medtronic CGM but it was not catching my lows before I had passed out and someone had called 911. I love the Dexcom and it is very accurate so I only prick my finger twice per day to calibrate. I do not like the insertion process but you only change out the sensor every 7 days and once in the skin it is not painful. I wear mine on my side about where my elbow as they want it in an area with fat not muscle and my stomach has too many stretch marks from pregnancy so they consider that damaged skin. I tend to be obsessive compulsive with my diabetes so this has helped me as I just look at the CGM and it tells me what my sugar is and if it is dropping or going up. Feel free to ask me more questions, but I think that you should give it a try and see how you like it. ALSO when I swim in the Summer, I place it on the table next to the Pool and it reads my sugar the whole time and I tend to drop low when swimming even though I am not wearing my pump, so my kids have me a capri sun ready when I leave the pool :)
  • type1foodie
    Options
    Got my Dexcom after using the Medtronic CGM. Dexcom is SO much better and now I see why people go with the Medtronic pump, Dexcom sensor. An extra device and all the hassle that goes with it, but the accuracy is worth it!
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I love the CGM. Honestly, it's the only reason I even put up with the pump. I've used the pump twice before this last go around. It's the reason my numbers (A1C & BG) are so great now. If this new insurance does not approve for the CGM supplies, I'll end up going back to the pens.
  • shep1397
    Options
    I've been using the CGM for about 2 years. I'm a competitive athlete and always had trouble keeping the site on until I found the sweet spot on my hip where it doesn't get jostled or rubbed during my workouts. I generally put the sensor on my side (closer to the butt), right below my waist, where it is covered by my underwear and doesn't get scratched by my pants.

As far as tape, I discovered that less is more when you are sweating. The less surface area you have for sweat to get underneath, the better. I use one strip of athletic tape (the kind used to tape ankles) and put it diagonally across the sensor and catheter. It isn't perfect, but I am able to keep the sensor on for 4-5 days at a time.

The CGM is awesome for predicting highs and lows, once you get the settings perfected for you. I like being able to know during a workout that I am going to be low after so I can grab some Gatorade to prevent the low.

And as a single girl, I really like the notifications at night when I am home alone. Wakes me up in time to treat the low/high.