Week 3 Chat

Options
lizard053
lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
Week3.jpg

This week's challenge is to add in exercise to our newly established habits! Keep drinking your water and eating according to plan, but add in 90 minutes of cardio and 60 minutes of strength training this week.

Exercise can be done in small amounts spread through out the week. The goal is to get a total of 90 minutes of aerobic, cardiovascular exercise, and 60 minutes of strength or body weight training over the course of the week.

Water: 6/7 days at 64 ounces minimum, work towards 1/2 your weight in pounds as ounces of water.
Food: 6/7 days on plan, according to your specific needs and plan design.
Exercise: 90 min. Cardio; 60 min. Strength

All the work we do with eating right and drinking our water would go to waste if we don't firm up the muscles beneath to help us look good! Also, building muscle works out to speeding your metabolism, making it easier to lose or maintain weight loss.
Women worried about becoming bulky have nothing to be concerned over! Unless you have an extraordinarily high testosterone level you will never look like a body builder. You'll just look sleek and strong! Lifting weights also helps build bone density, giving you stronger bones later into life.

Don't forget to report in! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/513840-report-in-week-2

Replies

• wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a routine (for 2lb free weights) that they can share? a link to a you tube video would be awesome but something easy to follow?
  • lizard053
    Options
    Hey everyone! Ready to get your body moving this week?

Rachel - Try searching on youtube or google to get started. Things like "weight training for beginners" may help you out. There is a lot of information out there!

Today is a gym day for me! Hopefully I can get some lifting in tonight. Can't do much upper body right now as I (being stupid and klutzy) reinjured my wrist. I whacked it on a bookshelf and slightly hyper-extended the wrist. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but due to the tightness from the tendonitis, I'm back to square 1. Ugh!
  • super_star_27
    super_star_27 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    this week WILL be better :D
  • tpot74
    tpot74 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Oh my--I just vowed to back away from the exercise. I think I am screwing myself up with my calories in and then exercise calories. I was going to just take this week off to see how just food played and no exercise worked for me...I'm all confused.
  • nenabug
    nenabug Posts: 156
    Options
    Does anyone have a routine (for 2lb free weights) that they can share? a link to a you tube video would be awesome but something easy to follow?

This is a routine I have used quite a bit. I'm now up to 5 - 8 lb weights. I don't just do the three exercises - I do all 9 or 10.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/arms/exercises/tone-your-arms-in-3-moves/
  • lizard053
    Options
    Oh my--I just vowed to back away from the exercise. I think I am screwing myself up with my calories in and then exercise calories. I was going to just take this week off to see how just food played and no exercise worked for me...I'm all confused.

Bad timing there! LOL! Seriously though, just do light exercise. Walk more. Lift weights a little. Don't eat back the exercise calories unless you are starving. The goal this week is a total of less than 30 minutes a day. And it doesn't have to be high intensity! It's all about getting moving, not about serious hard-core workouts. That will come in a later week! :bigsmile:
  • wurgin
    Options
    Thank you!
  • ztor
    ztor Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm excited about this week because I've been drinking water and trying my best to eat properly, now I am actually going to add some weight/strength training in addition to my cardio workouts! Bring it week 3!!!
  • nenabug
    Options
    Monday stats:
    Water - check!
    Calories - check!
    W/O - 50 mins of total body training - kind of circuit/cardio.
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Monday: water...yup! 300 cals left for the day! 15 minutes on the elliptical and 60 min spin class!
  • wurgin
    Options
    So - I did well yesterday on all counts. Today I am wondering I bought some yoga weights (sandballs essentially), if I use them during yoga does that count as stregnth training? I find "weight lifting" quite boring.
  • wurgin
    Options
    over a bit today - but got my water and aerobic and stregnth in! Had an awesome healthy gourmet dinner at a small plates place with a dear dear friend... enjoyed a few drinks (or i woudda been under ;) ) gotta work hard tomorrow to earn back those 200 cals!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I did well last week. Did 6 hours and 20 minutes of exercising. I missed my spinning class last night because I had to take my daughter home at that time. :grumble: So far, this week, I have put in two hours.
  • lizard053
    Options
    I am having a super cranky day today. But I did get the kudos up! Congrats to all!

Rachel - I count 1/2 of my yoga time as strength, even without weights! So you can do as you see fit.

Hope everyone is doing well today. I've got belly dance class tonight, looking forward to it! I miss class when we're not doing it.
  • nenabug
    Options
    Tuesday: Water check, Calories - over, workout check!
  • Kath444
    Kath444 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    For Tuesday water, exercise and calories completed!
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were successful on all three fronts! Now, the real challenge begins tomorrow. Tomorrow is my 18th birthday, and my birthday week always, inevitably, turns into no man's land on the health front. This one is particularly dangerous as it's such a milestone birthday. I'm going to allow myself two off days total (tomorrow and Sunday), but I'd really like to try and not go wild for the entire week as I don't feel I can afford it. Wish me luck!
  • leigh_chapman
    leigh_chapman Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've fallen off the face of the earth! I'm traveling to visit family this week and just don't have much extra time for logging on to MFP, and not much time for exercise. But I am trying to make sure I get the water I need and at least make the best food choices I can when I'm not eating from my own refrigerator and pantry. This is soooo much harder b/c I don't have all of my handy dandy snacks and feel good foods around me. I've finally managed to convince my sister that fresh fruit is a far better snack than the darned Oreos she keeps waving in front of my face! Small success. Hopefully, I can get back on track next week....
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Tuesday: got my water in and was ONE calorie under! haha Took the day off from exercising since I have a nasty cold.

I need to drink more water today for sure. I should be fine with calories. I'm hoping to be able to go lift when the hubs gets home from work.
  • wurgin
    Options
    Thanks! how do you log yoga as stegnth? I find logging stegnth is not intuitive like the aerobic here. I love those balls! Using them alot! They are great in wii boxing too!
This discussion has been closed.