Starting weights

Options
Where is everyone else at as far as starting out? Most things, I've started at 10 pounds (8 even, depending on the exercise) and gone up from there. I don't want to be a weenie about it, but don't want to bite off more than I can chew and hurt myself, either. I make it challenging, but not so hard that my form gets sloppy. If my form starts getting sloppy, I'll switch out for a lighter weight. Just wondering where everyone else started at. :)

Replies

• FlTGlRL
    FlTGlRL Posts: 239
    Options
    I think this is a good question!
    I noticed she says to lift about 60% of the total amount you can lift right now. I think it eventually goes up to 85% or something with longer resting periods in between. (I'm not for sure on that).
    So I usually lift about 50% of what I can lift for long periods of time.

For the arms- I pretty much stick to 8-10 lbs. (The arms are very hard for me)

For legs- I'm pressing a lot, about 250-300. (Easy for me)
    When it comes to the curls and the leg extensions I think I'm sticking to about 50 lbs tops.
  • debwaid
    debwaid Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Because of last week's injury (pulled AB muscle) and the fact that I was out of town and hadn't looked ahead to Week 3 exercises yet, I will be re-doing week 2. I see we will be doing walking lunges with a barbell and wondering what weight you ladies started with. Its been a really long time since I've done walking lunges and mostly remember doing them with dumbells. And I wanna say no more 10 lbs in each hand either....
  • stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Lunges, I also do with dumbbells -- 10 pounds in each hand is about all I can do right now. :)
  • sumnerfan
    sumnerfan Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Most free weight exercises are with 10s. Some of the machines are 40 lbs. I only leg pressed 50lbs and squatted the bar and I am soooo sooooore. I feel like a giant wimp. :(
  • FlTGlRL
    FlTGlRL Posts: 239
    Options
    Most free weight exercises are with 10s. Some of the machines are 40 lbs. I only leg pressed 50lbs and squatted the bar and I am soooo sooooore. I feel like a giant wimp. :(

Haha... You are silly. Don't feel like a wimp. You are doing good. This is all about building muscle and toning up anyway. I think we are all using muscles we haven't used in a long time. We are woman, I think most of us can do 10 lbs or so with the arm stuff... With most of the leg stuff I can do about 40-80 lbs tops, it's only the leg presses I can do a lot in. Also, those lunges are hard. I am sweating like a pig when I'm done with those lol :laugh:
  • debwaid
    debwaid Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    My first week I only squatted with the bar too! The second week, I increased all weights for legs. This week, we shall see since I'm doing week 2 over!