what size weights

Options
Just wondering what size weights everyone uses doing the 30DS? Im on day 5 , i was only using 0.5kgs weights for the first 4 days and today on day 5 i switched to the 2kg size and really felt the burn more then i did using the smaller weights, i might up it to the 5kg weights tomorrow and see how it goes, just wondering what size everyone else uses as i now know the lighter weights i used for 4 days werent very useful, i should of used the heavier weights from day 1, but onwards and upwards from here i suppose! :smile:

Replies

• momotivation
    momotivation Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    my weights are 3 pounds each, I also have 5 pound wights but haven't felt brave enough.
  • zoesmomcooks
    zoesmomcooks Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i'm using 5lb weights... the first 3 days KILLED my arms, but they're starting to be okay now.
  • CindyCountingCalories
    CindyCountingCalories Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    When I started doing Shred the first time, I've used 2 500ml water bottles, it was to light. So I've put some sand in them, and they were 700gram each. With level 2 I bought 2 dumbbells, I thought it were 1.5kg but they were only 1kg. Now 2 days ago I've bought some 2.5kg dumbbells, and I can feel the difference for sure.

Not sure what country your from, but glad to see someone working with metric...

With Shred we are suppose to use 5 pound weights, that's 2.24kg weights, in South-Africa you get. 2kg and 2.5kg. So I didn't want to use 2kg and went for 2.5kg which is actually 5.5 lbs weights, but oh well, its heavy but will be worth it in the end...

Hope this helps ;-)
  • NubianSpirit
    NubianSpirit Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i'm using 5lbs. (2.2kg) for most things, but also have a set of 2lbs.(0.9kg) that i use for the slide lunge with the anterior raise... and bc i'm a crazy woman, i hold all of them for the chest fly.

personally, i think the weight thing is 100% personalized: a) what can you handle; and b) what kind of results do you want? more reps, less weight = toning; fewer reps, more weight = building (good for the boys, although they say that girls really aren't capable of bulking up without steroidal enhancements ... and 20yr old me was living proof of that i suppose - i was a competitive diver all through hs and college, and for some odd reason us aquatic folk never use the ladder to get out of the pool, so after 8 years of "body raisers" i had very tone arms, & shoulders and at no point did i ever have a less than feminine build.)
  • angelxxxx
    angelxxxx Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone, i really am finding im getting a better workout and feeling it more with the 2kgs, thanks so much for all the feedback as i thought i was using the wrong sized weights, altho when i switched to the higher weight it felt like i was back to day 1 of the 30DS as i could barely lift them lol. Thanks everyone!
  • louisey112
    louisey112 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I'm using 5 lb weights - my arms were KILLING me the first couple of days, but they're not as sore now. The side lunges while raising the weights to eye level are so tough for me and I still can't do them all without taking a slight break, but I can do more now than when I begun, so that's saying something. The squats and weights are hard, too, but then again, my arms are the weakest things on my body! I'm a day behind, but plan on doing it twice on Saturday so I can be at the 10 day level and move on to Level 2 on the the 11th.