A 35 yr old struggling with menopause and saying "Hi"

Options
missjenn35
missjenn35 Posts: 6 Member
My name is Jenn and I had surgery in 2008 to remove a grapefruit size cyst from my left ovary. The doctor had to completely open me up because she discovered that I had severe endometriosis. She had to remove my left ovary and left tube. I was then started on Lupron to calm my endo which put me into menopause immediately. Unfortunately I have never come out of menopause. I am 35. I thank God everyday for my one son that I have who is 7. My doctor said after seeing my insides that my son is a miracle. The dr. said my remaining ovary shut down because of the trauma from the surgery so I am considered to have Premature Ovarian Failure. I gained 30 lbs the first 9 months after surgery. I feel like I have completely lost who I was before the surgery. I have taken BCP pills in the past for my symptoms but I try to live as natural of a lifestyle as I can so I have recently went off of them and I am using herbal supplements. I need to lose about 60 lbs and I really need some encouragement since it is so hard to lose when being in menopause. I am so thankful to find this group and can't wait to get to know you all better!

Replies

• Annec0911
    Annec0911 Posts: 48
    Options
    Hi Missjen
    What rough trot! You're on to a positive thing now, using MFP!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Hi Jenn

You're so young to be going through the menopause already!

I'm just starting peri-menopause at 42 and thought that was bad enough! I'm trying to get as low as I can before the weight starts piling back on again and its been a long slow process with an underactive thyroid and mobility restrictions too!

Have you thought of taking something like Q10 supplement? we have Q10 in our bodies naturally but as we get older the levels deplete. If you have severe problems with finding energy and suffer like chronic fatigue symptoms Q10 may help as it works at a cell level to help your body produce more energy which in turn boosts your metabolism... maybe worth a months trial to see if it helps. Also helps with heart strength, muscles and can lower blood pressure etc.

I get severe chocolate cravings so at minute trying to replace chocolate with chocolate slim fast and stick to 2 shakes to satisfy the cravings and one meal at dinner time! I'm going to try a supplement with chromium in (when it arrives) which is meant to help stabilise estrogen and cortisol levels to control the cravings.

Good luck!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    hi OP! Welcome to MFP!! Lovely to meet you :flowerforyou:
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I would assume that you have the same problems as the older gals at this stage. You can still lose weight, but probably at a slower rate. That's o.k. You have to take a long view. Think about where you'll be next year this time instead of wanting to drop a size by next month. Living a more natural lifestyle is a great way to start. BTW- I'm almost 55 and haven't started menopause. I have uterine fibroids that are giving me a fit. The doctors don't want to do anything about it because - after all!- at my age I'll be in menopause any minute. I've been hearing this for five years now. There's no easy way out! Hang tough!
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm also going through surgical menopause at 25. I struggled for almost 2 years without HRT. I mostly upped my soy intake, took black cohosh and took a multi vitamin for menopause. I haven't been able to lose any weight. At all. Despite OKish diet and insane ammount of exercise. I recently started using an estrogen patch... we'll see how that works out.
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group, Jenn!!:happy:
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm also going through surgical menopause at 25. I struggled for almost 2 years without HRT. I mostly upped my soy intake, took black cohosh and took a multi vitamin for menopause. I haven't been able to lose any weight. At all. Despite OKish diet and insane ammount of exercise. I recently started using an estrogen patch... we'll see how that works out.

where do you get these 'multi vitamins for Menopause'? is that what it's actually called and what does it do?

Thanks
  • taramaureen
    Options

where do you get these 'multi vitamins for Menopause'? is that what it's actually called and what does it do?

Thanks

Any drug store will have them. I use one a day women's menopause. They encorperate soy and other estrogen mimics as well as gives you a boost of calcium and vitamin D. They help a lot with hot flashes and mood swings.
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! I also have severe endometriosis and had been on lupron for 2 years now with add back therapy to help with side affects. I'm older, going to be 48, but totally know what you're going through! Weight went on so quickly and now is so much work and dedication to get rid of, but it can be done!
  • missjenn35
    missjenn35 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support. I am glad to have people who understand that even when you do everything right the weight comes off soooo slow! I am thinking about going wheat/gluten free. I have been seeing a lot about this helping menopausal women to lose weight and that it helps with symptoms. What do y'all think?
  • fibrogirl
    fibrogirl Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the site. I´m 50 and just had a hysterectomy 6 weeks ago only keeping one ovary so it´s too early to say how my weight loss will be affected. The good thing was that I dropped 7 pounds after the operation probably due to the size of the fibroid! So far I haven´t had any menopause symptoms probably as I have one ovary left but due to my age and the surgery I´m sure this may happen soon.
    Good luck with your weight loss, do keep posting it´s a great site with lots of fantastic support :flowerforyou:
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You can still lose weight, but probably at a slower rate. That's o.k. You have to take a long view. Think about where you'll be next year this time instead of wanting to drop a size by next month.

^^^ I think this has been the best, but hardest lesson to learn as I go through menopause. It took me a year to lose 20 lbs but I also know that slower is much better for our bodies. It takes vigilance on the food monitoring and some people will think you're obsessive as you watch what you eat so carefully. Because our emotions can also be so up and down during this time, expect setbacks. The hot flashes, mood swings, exhaustion, etc. have been experienced by most of us in this group so you will find lots of support. :flowerforyou:
  • taramaureen
    Options
    Thanks for the support. I am glad to have people who understand that even when you do everything right the weight comes off soooo slow! I am thinking about going wheat/gluten free. I have been seeing a lot about this helping menopausal women to lose weight and that it helps with symptoms. What do y'all think?

I'm gluten free b/c I have Celiac's disease. It hasn't helped me lose weight but it has helped my energy levels a ton.
  • d2rala
    d2rala Posts: 54
    Options
    I was 21, newly married, and child free when I got my diagnosis of endometriosis. It was a shock to say the least.
    Your body has been through a trauma with surgery, and it will take time to get back to your pre-surgery weight. BUT IT CAN AND WILL HAPPEN if you want it to.
    I was in the best shape of my life in my late 20's and early 30's due to the commitment I made to myself.
    I've had to get back to that mind space after 2 layoff's and a few difficult years, but I'm getting back there.
    It's been a 30 year journey of having to tell new doctors my history (some had trouble believing me - a mere patient).
    Endometriosis is not a death sentence. I retained one ovary, and have a family history of heart disease, so HRT is not for me, but be open to all options that are available to you. Hopefully, your doc will keep up on developments as treatment options are updated.
    Good luck!
    Diane
  • kelleyt2
    kelleyt2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just joined this group as well. I am 51, had a hysterectomy at 36 but kept one ovary. In the past year, I have gained 20 pounds mostly in the middle and have been trying to lose it. It does come off really, really slow. I work out hard 6 times a week, an hour a day (bootcamp/TRX/crunch) and watch what I eat. I stay between 1200 to 1400 calories a day. My vitamin D and B12 are both low and I am taking supplements. Any other suggestions?
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group!!