Making a pot of chili that I think is paleo or primal

Options
idauria
idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
What do you think? I sauteed in olive oil 1 onion, 1 red pepper and 4 garlic cloves. To that I added an 8oz of roughly chopped mushrooms instead of beans. I added chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, salt, and pepper. Then I added 93% lean ground beef(I think it was just over 1.5lbs). Once that was all cooked through I added 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes and 1 14oz can of diced tomatoes plus some water. I'm going to let this cook for almost 2 hours. Of course I will have to refrain from adding cheese and sour cream. I tasted it and it already tastes yummy.

Replies

• MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    sounds perfect, I'll be right over. Dammit now I'm hungry.
    Some purists would ask you not to use anything from a can (tomato) and use grass fed cow - but it sounds good.

I'm making buffalo meatloaf tonight but chili is tempting.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was wondering about the canned tomato but I don't see any other way around that and I am not a purist.
  • mrselbow
    mrselbow Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'd more just check whether there is anything aside from tomato & tomato juice in the can.... Sounds yummmmmyyy!,
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    While fresh tomatoes is optimal, canned is OK. I use Muir Glen organic diced tomatoes, because they are fire-roasted and add an extra flavor note.

While my Gold Rush chili if significantly different (it is Texas-style), your's looks good to go!
  • heathernz
    heathernz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yum - I make a big pot of this and add grated carrot and courgette too. I freeze it in small containers to take to work... yum!
    :smile: