Had to tell y'all!!

TweedleDebo
TweedleDebo Posts: 423 Member
I went to my first gay wedding Saturday night! It was my old roommate's wedding and she married a wonderful girl!! The ceremony brought me to tears throughout the entire thing. It was absolutely beautiful. I actually ended up catching the bouquet which was a shock since there were a LOT of girls out there waiting for it to fall into their hands. I immediately turned around and pointed the flowers at my girlfriend and said "How's that for pressure?" and we both laughed. We have been together for almost 2 and a half years and have talked randomly about getting married for the past year.

Yesterday we had a "going away dinner" planned for my best friend boy who just got a place with his boyfriend and is moving a couple hours away. We have been planning this for well over a week and I had no clue that it was anything other than that. Well come to find out it was actually a surprise proposal for me and everyone invited had known about it for over a week. I ran to the grocery store to pickup some rolls that she had conveniently "forgot" to get earlier that day when she bought groceries. When I stepped back in the front door she was standing there, friends all around, my kids and a whole lot of cameras pointing at me. She had tears in her eyes and a dozen long stem red roses tied up with ribbon. She gave me the flowers and began a speech that I can honestly say I don't remember. She said something about me being her best friend and soul mate at which point I began crying. She dropped to her knee & pulled a box out of her back pocket & asked me to marry her. Of course I said yes between my tears and giggles. My best friend was behind her jumping up & down like she had won the lottery. She was shaking so badly that she could barely slide the ring on my finger.

I am the happiest girl in the world right now & I now have a new motivation for my weight loss. I absolutely refuse to limit myself to the plus sized selection of wedding gowns. Period. Ha, I wanna be on Say Yes to the Dress Atlanta!! :)

My question to y'all is this: I know that it is not legal here in our home state of South Carolina, but we are going to have a full on ceremony here so that we are able to share it with our family & friends. However, we do still want to be able to have a legal marriage, too. We will probably honeymoon somewhere that we can make it legal. Suggestions of honeymoon spots that can include an intimate, legal ceremony?

Thanks y'all!

Replies

• JackKsavestheday
    JackKsavestheday Posts: 182 Member
    Maryland
  • TweedleDebo
    That is IF it goes completely through in 2013.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    california!

And congrats! I am so excited for you! The ring is gorgeous! what a wonderful way to be asked to marry someone. Good luck on your journey to weight loss and marriage. That is so great!
  • TweedleDebo
    Is it officially legal again in CA? I know they were talking about it.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Is it officially legal again in CA? I know they were talking about it.

Prop 8 is still in the appeals process. I believe it's scheduled to be reviewed by the entire circuit before possibly going to SCOTUS---and I don't imagine SCOTUS would probably want to weigh in on it given the extremely narrow scope of the ruling.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    That story was awesome. Congrats on a great proposal story you'll get to share and enjoy for a long time.

Does the honeymoon have to be where you "get legal"? You're already doing the fun part/celebration in your home town. Can you plan a trip that includes going through one of the states on your honeymoon? Or even getting legal in the closest state you can, then going on a honeymoon wherever you want.

Is it that you are trying to make the legal proceeding romantic? Is that why you want to honeymoon in the same place?

Looks like your choices in the US are: CT, DC, IA, MA, NH, NY, VT (from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_the_United_States)

Another list that provides some info on each location: http://gaylife.about.com/od/gaymarriagebyregion/ig/Legal-Marriage/
  • BanjoKd
    BanjoKd Posts: 150
    Congrats and hugs! I love to see others that are truly in love. Are you going to stay in SC? (i'm in Charlotte) Seriously...as soon as i am ready to get married i'm out of here. Where? Who knows?...doesn't matter...as long as i'm in love. I'm excited to hear where you are going to honeymoon....wish i had suggestions.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    That story was awesome. Congrats on a great proposal story you'll get to share and enjoy for a long time.

Does the honeymoon have to be where you "get legal"? You're already doing the fun part/celebration in your home town. Can you plan a trip that includes going through one of the states on your honeymoon? Or even getting legal in the closest state you can, then going on a honeymoon wherever you want.

Is it that you are trying to make the legal proceeding romantic? Is that why you want to honeymoon in the same place?

Looks like your choices in the US are: CT, DC, IA, MA, NH, NY, VT (from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_the_United_States)

Another list that provides some info on each location: http://gaylife.about.com/od/gaymarriagebyregion/ig/Legal-Marriage/

Vermont would be a wonderful place. Really, all of those states are gorgeous.

Congratulations. I'm sitting here crying reading your story. It fills my heart. I wish you all the best.
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Huge Congrats! That was a sweet story! :)

There's quite a few places you could go on your honeymoon depending on what you are looking for. And what you both like to do should play a huge factor in that as well. Couple recommendations (since I've lived there):

MA -
    Boston of course is top on the list, so much to do and so many great places to see.
    Cape Cod - not too far from Boston great vacation spot (better in the summer, but much busier)
    Provincetown - Which is of course on Cape Cod, but another really fun place in the summer. But nice and quiet and quite romantic in the off season as well.

NH -
    Any number of places. The scenery is beautiful no matter where you go. Even the "city" isn't the city there.

CT -
    I would stay more Northern, unless you like the "city" life and towards NYC would probably be best.

VT -
    Burlington is very pretty.
    Lake Champlain area.
    You name it same as NH it's all very nice! :)

Stories like yours make me smile a lot. Definitely keep us updated on your honeymoon plans. Again so happy for you. and congratulations.
  • MikeSEA
    Kind of makes my proposal story a little lame, I'm afraid.

We were sitting in the living room the day same-sex marriage was signed into law in WA (it's not official yet, long-ish story). I was playing on the computer, and he was sitting right next to me reading on his Kindle. We commented that the law passed and got signed. He off-handedly asked if I wanted to get married and I accepted. I'm not sure either of us looked at the other. In our defense, I was probably killing something very nasty and had the new Game of Thrones to get through before the library yanked it back.

Then again, we already got married in IA and have been together for 10 years now. Both of us forgot our anniversary this year until his parents called to wish us Happy Anniversary. Whoops.

Sometimes we're guilty of being a little too low-key :)
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    She said something about me being her best friend and soul mate at which point I began crying. She dropped to her knee & pulled a box out of her back pocket & asked me to marry her. Of course I said yes between my tears and giggles. My best friend was behind her jumping up & down like she had won the lottery. She was shaking so badly that she could barely slide the ring on my finger.
    I'm from England, I've no idea where your dumbass rules say you can and can't get married, all I know is that my eyes are leaking and that I've got a massive lump in my throat right now, dammit!

Somehow I don't think it matters where two people who are so much in love have their honeymoon, but I wish you all the very best and hope that people with information to offer about places outside Europe can provide you with the inspiration to put together something wonderful and memorable for you both. :flowerforyou:
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Congrats Debo!! Soooo happy for you! :flowerforyou:
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Congrats on the engagement. (and on making me cry)
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member

We were sitting in the living room the day same-sex marriage was signed into law in WA (it's not official yet, long-ish story). I was playing on the computer, and he was sitting right next to me reading on his Kindle. We commented that the law passed and got signed. He off-handedly asked if I wanted to get married and I accepted. I'm not sure either of us looked at the other. In our defense, I was probably killing something very nasty and had the new Game of Thrones to get through before the library yanked it back.

Then again, we already got married in IA and have been together for 10 years now. Both of us forgot our anniversary this year until his parents called to wish us Happy Anniversary. Whoops.

is it really a proposal if you were already married?
  • tameko2
    PS: Congrats debo!
  • MikeSEA

is it really a proposal if you were already married?

Yes and no. We're not married in the state we live in. We're married in IA (we live in WA), but that doesn't do us much good in WA. We *are* domestic partners in WA, but it's not the same.

Plus we never did have a ceremony or reception for our friends in WA.
  • tameko2
    1) have a party for your friends in washington!
    2) I *think* but am not sure that if same sex marriage is legal in washington then your marriage in Iowa is legal there as well. The inter-state transfer thing is basically "if your marriage is a type which is recognized in the state, then any other state you get it in counts for your state too" -- like if its legal to marry at 16 in Wisconsin but not until 17 in Iowa (making that up of course) you aren't legal in Iowa but if its legal in both places then getting married in one makes you legal in both? Maybe not - I'm a little fuzzy on it because its confusing. Or maybe it has to have been legal at the TIME? That would be dumb though.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Congratulations! When are you planning on doing the wedding? We have a great gay community here in DC, and it's so beautiful in the Spring. It also wouldn't be a terribly long trip for you.

Of course, if you're getting married in the summer I would avoid DC at all costs, as it tends to be hot, humid, and ridden with mosquitoes and tourists. :)
  • Congrats! and props to your girl and your friends for pulling it off so well. Great story..
  • TweedleDebo
    Thank you all!!! As of right now we have no clue when we are going to do it. We have to figure out our budget and then we will know what time period we have to work with. I am loving the suggestions, though, keep them coming.

Also....I apologize for causing the tears! :)