Gastric sleeve pre-op

Options
Hi, I am a 34 year old man that has to much to carry. At the moment I am on a pre-op diet prior to a gastric sleeve operation. I have to loose 17 kg before the surgery witch is due the 25th of april. I am already 3 weeks into the diet, and so far I´ve lost 9,5kg.

If there are other people out there in the same or similar situation, it would be nice to maybe share some experiences...both pre-op and post-op...

Replies

• jmurphyaz
    jmurphyaz Posts: 35
    Options
    What are you eating now? Are you exercising? It sounds like you are doing great, just stick to it. Some things you may want to ensure you are doing are:

- cardio Vs weights (you may build
    Muscle and lose body weight more slowly)
    - lots and lots of water!
    - no starch or sugar
    - protein shakes can be helpful
    - make sure you are eating enough calories

Also- many surgeons have different pre-op diets so my recommendations may not be feasible. I was only on liquids 2 days pre-op where others it is 2 weeks prior.

If you feel like you may be doing something wrong call your doctor. Send them your food diary and see if they see any red flags.

Good luck and keep checking in here. There is a lot of wonderful and helpful people that are here to support you.
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Good luck. My surgery is the 14th of this march, roux en y bypass, I cant wait. I am on the liquid phase and the its hard.

I am allowed to have 4 protein shakes daily, I mix em with almond milk
    yogurt 1-2 a day
    all the sugar free jello and sugar free popsicles I can eat ect....
    V8 juice, water ect ect I cna have cream of wheat, but I hate that stuff.

I have not been exercising because I am withdrawin off of effexor and am lucky to get down the food I am allowed to eat, one day at a time. You will do great, we are here for you.
  • skutla
    skutla Posts: 3
    Options
    I am doing my surgery in Norway, and I am not on a liquid diet.I have a diet that my nutritionist calls "knekkebrød" diet. It basically consists of 6 slices of wholegrain biscuits...Wasa knekkebrød... All divided on 3 meals during the day. My dinner consist of 150 grams fish, or 120 grams of chicken/beef or pork. I have an "all you can eat" pass on vegetables....
    In total t should bring me up to around 1000 calories per day.

Regarding exercise I swim a lot. At least 4 times a week, between 1000 and 1200 meters, and the days I don´t swim, I try to go to the gym and I do 2x20 mins on a spinning bike On friday I also took advantage of the nice skiing possibilities I have 40 minutes drive form where I live, and I spent 4 hours in the hills....It was GREAT!

I am 3 weeks into the diet now, and I really hope that I will be able to stick to this for 7 more weeks.... My main problem is not that I am hungry all the time...because I´m not...What annoys me the most is that I feel drained of energy...and then the way to the thoughts of a "quick fix" is short. So now I have to fight my self every time I think of something that I should not think about...So far I am winning :)

I am currently not in contact with anyone in the same situation, so I am very happy to share my experiences and of course to read what others in the same situation experience :)
  • tessanne10
    tessanne10 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work. I am having the roux-n-y on March 13th, and I am currently on a VLC diet (very low calorie) I take in 800 calories a day. Like yourself, I am not all that hungry, but am finding around 3 or 4 pm I'm feeling like all the energy is drained out of me. I'm usually better later in the evening.
    It is not easy, but it helps me to think of what I will be gaining from surgery.
  • jmurphyaz
    jmurphyaz Posts: 35
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing the right things. Some things to consider is upping your protein and lowering breads like carbs. It also seems like your daily caloric intake is very low which may ne contributing to the plateu.

If you haven't spoke. To your doctor I would and see if they can offer words of support.

Good luck.
  • TraciLee36
    TraciLee36 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve done in December It has changed my life. Our doctors make us follow a very high protein and no bread, pasta and only Greek yogurt plain. We also have to drink at least 64 oz of water each day and only have 4oz protein, which is grilled, steamed or baked. 1/2 cup steamed or raw vegetables and 1/4 cup of fruit for each meal and no snacking. It was hard at first but now it is the way I eat. We are here to help each other. Good Luck you can do it!