RNY - Five years out or MORE?

Options
Hi everyone, I am new to the Groups but I am looking for people who are Post Op 5 years or more. I am Post Op 7 Years Started at 310, got down to 180 (then got PG) Went back to 240. Now after a rupture in my pouch/intestin I am down to 213 and workin' on getting back into wonderland! Anyone else out there?

Replies

• klniblack1
    Options
    Jenny, I had a Roux-en-y in April of 2005! I did not know you also had weight loss surgery......
  • klniblack1
    Options
    Oh, and I didn't know you had kids after too! Not many ppl I know have kid afterwards.....have you had vitamin and mineral issues at all?
  • jennymyoung78
    Options
    Yep I had my first kid (Jaclyn in Feb 2004 and then had Roux-en-Y in Oct 2004. I am 4'11 so 310lbs is a lot on that small of a frame. I got down to 180 then got PG with Jillian in 2006 bounced up to 240 and now back down to 213/215 depending on the day. Its a CONSTANT battel with me. I have struggled with big weight issues all my life. I'm still 97lbs down from 2004 but I would like to be under 200.

as far as vitamin and mineral issues are only ONE of the issues I have had. I have vitamin deficinacy animia and low in D and. I also have many digestion issues as well as IBS (which I think was made worse after RNY). I had to have a blood transfusion when I was sick this summer because my iron was so low. When I got the perfration in my bowel (this summer) it was on my small intestin right by my pouch and so they had to make it a bit smaller again (not by much) to fix it so that has come with some diggestion issues and.

anywho....so back to the basics of post-op and getting healthy and staying that way. Vitamins, eating right, excersise bla bla bla. :)
  • mSquared77
    mSquared77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm nearly 7 years post-op and still feel like the surgery was one of the best decisions I ever made. I lost about 160 pounds and gained 30ish over the past 2 years. Finally feeling in control and have been working out/eating better for the last 40 days, or so. I've not experienced any defincieny issues cause I follow protocol and take all my vitamins.

MM
  • hotwendy
    Options
    I am 6 years out and have gained half of my weight loss back. I had lost 98 lbs. I still believe it to be the best thing I have ever done, however every day is a struggle. I have started going back to the basics, and have lost 10 lbs so far this month. I also have added exercise daily. I cut out all sugars and that is really hurting s I love sweets. After 18 days though, it is much easier than Jan 1st when I started. Good Luck everyone!! Wendy
  • ksm5
    ksm5 Posts: 12
    Options
    It is so very important to take supplements....especially years out. However, I have found that if there is a deficiency that was present prior to surgery, it is a deficiency that will also be a bigger issue after surgery.
  • Lindabyes
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I had my RNY October 2001. I started at 279 and made it doen to 130. (Everyone said I looked to thin at 130) I went up to 138 and was quite happy for a good 6 years! I started climbing back up after I started eating the wrong foods AGAIN and now I am at 185! (well 183.5 now) I want to get back to 135 and feel good again! I know that I have to do this myself I do not want to get a revision as it has been sucgested... but I also count my blessing many that did the surgery when I did are back at the original weight or higher! So before I join that group I deacided to join the fitness plan and start doing something about this! I start my work out routine tonight and will be working towards running/walking briskley a 5k in march!
  • PeekABooGirl
    PeekABooGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I had RNY in 97 and lost 125lbs. I've since had 2 kids and over the past 14yrs since surgery I've gained about 25 back. I'm here to loose those 25 and hopefully the final 25 as well. Nice to find other's who are in the same boat as me!
  • PeekABooGirl
    PeekABooGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It is so very important to take supplements....especially years out. However, I have found that if there is a deficiency that was present prior to surgery, it is a deficiency that will also be a bigger issue after surgery.

I have to second that! I've slacked on my vitamins and have paid for it dearly!! I recently found out, after having horrible bouts with heart palpitations and weakness, that I'm severely anemic. TO the point I was very close to needing iron transfusion. I'm also pretty depleated in Vitamin D and B. So I'm now bulking up on my vitamins and getting back on track!
  • lucky135
    Options
    Hi there,
    I had my surgery in August of 2003. I lost a little over 80 lbs. In the past 2 years, more so the past 6 months, I have packed on almost 50 lbs. I am so frustrated. I never regret having the surgery, i just get down on myself for ever getting back to where i am now. I too want help getting back on track. I started seeing a dietician this week. We'll see how it goes. But in my opinion, I feel like when we discuss nutrition, in a way it needs to be discussed a little differently for post ops. Idk, maybe at this point im wrong. Anyways, the only problems I have had is a severe iron deficiency. Once in a while my B12 gets off as well. I am speratic with my supplements. But i do feel better when i take them religiously.

As i am almost 40, my nutritionist says i may be perimenopausal. So that makes it harder to lose the weight. Maybe someone else out there is in my same position.
  • jazzie2421
    Options
    I had RNY 3/31/05. I weighed 290lbs. I got down to 145 in a year and I felt fantastic. I'm 5'4", so that was perfect for me. I had some people saying I was too skinny but I felt fantastic. I was able to maintain there for two years Thanks to a very stressful four years I woke up and am now 208. I'm struggling pretty hard because I'm watching my calories, watching my protein, etc and eating 1200 calories because MFP was "hollering at me" because I wasn't eating enough calories caused me to gain back the 8lbs I had lost... sigh.... so back to business. :)
  • JoanPB
    Options
    Newbie here!

I had surgery August of 2005 and lost 125lbs. I was so happy that I had the surgery, happy that I didn't have any complications, and happy with the results. I was able to maintain my weight loss for over 6 years. Over the past year I have gotten complacent and have started taking my surgery for granted. I have gained about 50lbs over the past 12 months. I have been eating all the wrong things and not exercising at all. I have made a promise to myself that I will not go back to where I was prior to surgery and I am ready to take control of my bad eating habits. Over the past week I have started tracking my food and getting off my butt and doing some exercise. I hope that with the help of MFP I will be able to get back on track.

Taking control again & for always!
  • SCUBAMomofTwo
    Options
    Another who had her RNY in October 2001.....so, TEN+ years postop. I lost over 100 pounds. Occasionally, I like to "forget" I had surgery to lose weight and when I do I usually gain about 20 pounds. So, here I am at MFP logging my intake and exercise to keep myself accountable and shed the 20 pounds again.

No vitamin issues to speak of, even though when I am in my periods of "denial" about having had WLS I am usually slack on my supplements, too.
  • soapboxermel
    soapboxermel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just posted an introduction a few minutes ago, but giving way more detail here.

I had RNY 8 1/2 years ago and while this adventure has had complications (pancreatitis due to gall stones, severe B12, D, and iron deficiencies and anemia), I have no regrets. I started at 330 the morning of surgery and at about 18 months later I was at 160. 160 was too thin for my dense, 5'8" frame (about a size 6). I tried to stop losing weight at 180 (my goal) and I just couldn't eat.

The highest weight I've had since surgery was 227lbs about three years ago. I then dropped 30lbs over two years without any effort which alerted me to the severity of the anemia. I've since gotten my supplements in order, including monthly B12 injections and a 6-week course of iron infusion therapy, but now I'm finding myself gaining weight again.

At 217lbs I decided I'd had enough and that I was probably feeling better enough now that I have some hemoglobin, so it was time to get back to the gym and to paying attention to what I'm eating. I'm feeling great now that I'm over the initial panic of post-anemia weight gain and feeling more in control of my fate as it pertains to my weight and health.

So here I am. My goal is 180lbs and I've got a lot of work to do.
  • amberrenae1
    Options
    I had my surgery in 2005. I started at 330 and got down to 166. I felt and looked great! After having a baby and eating bad food again I have gained 47 of the 164 pounds I lost. I think I beat myself up more for this weight gain than any other. I feel like I worked so hard and now the scale just keeps going in the wrong direction!

Trying to not beat myself up to badly. Feel the surgery was the best thing I ever did but really hate having to take all the supplements every day and I admit I'm not the most consistent. Really trying to lose half of what I've gained over the next couple months. My husband and I want another baby and I do not want to get pregnant weighing over 200 lbs!

I wish you luck and hope we're all successful in conquering our food demons!
  • slfam
    slfam Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am just jumping in here to say hello. Today is my first day here and I am hoping it will help. I had the LapBand in 2005 then had it removed and the RNY done in 2008. I lost a total of 115 pounds but have gained 45 back. I am ready to get back down to that 115 pound loss as I was feeling sooo good even though I was not near goal. Technically I need to lose about 95 pounds but right now I am just focusing on the 45. I have always taken my supplements - protein as well as vitamins and I believe it has helped me avoid any complications for which I am grateful. (Vitalady dot com is a great source for supplements if you don't know what you should be taking.)